You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Mar 05, 2022 5:51 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

The Idea of a "Peasant Farmer"

What is the difference between peasant and a farmer?
Peasants may not own land while working on land on the basis of tenancy, rent etc. and may be related to feudal order of landlord slave system, while farmers own land, livestock and are higher in order.

NH I find the terminology rather interesting. Peasant farmers did not own their land which was not good. This idea goes back to Feudalism in Europe during the "Dark Ages" and as a 6th grade social studies teacher I know about this practice too damned well.  Your dad was a "peasant farmer."

#2 Mar 07, 2022 7:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: The Idea of a "Peasant Farmer"

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Peasants may not own land while working on land on the basis of tenancy, rent etc. and may be related to feudal order of landlord slave system, while farmers own land, livestock and are higher in order.

NH I find the terminology rather interesting. Peasant farmers did not own their land which was not good. This idea goes back to Feudalism in Europe during the "Dark Ages" and as a 6th grade social studies teacher I know about this practice too damned well.  Your dad was a "peasant farmer."

Not my father, my grandfather, and not a peasant farmer, a 'peasant proprietor', as defined by the colonial authorities. From the forthcoming book:

My grandfather was one hard bastard. By the sweat of his brow and the strength of his back he’d built up Mount Rose Estate into a mid-sized farm, growing cocoa, bananas, cloves, cinnamon, bananas, nutmeg and mace. My surviving photograph shows a spare, elderly man with jet-black skin, sparkling eyes and a ready smile. But don’t let that smile fool you: Endee was an unflinching disciplinarian who didn’t suffer fools lightly, and for whom idleness was the work of the Devil.

1940s163.jpg

#3 Mar 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

I guess my grandmother was also a "peasant proprietor for she owned and farmed her little piece of land. She    would sell the produce to supplement her income. I looked up the turn and it says:  "a peasant who owns the soil he cultivates." I guess the term must have come from slavery when the slaves were given a piece of land called "polnicks." Where does the term come from?

#4 Mar 07, 2022 9:43 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:
Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Not my father, my grandfather, and not a peasant farmer, a 'peasant proprietor', as defined by the colonial authorities. From the forthcoming book:

My grandfather was one hard bastard. By the sweat of his brow and the strength of his back he’d built up Mount Rose Estate into a mid-sized farm, growing cocoa, bananas, cloves, cinnamon, bananas, nutmeg and mace. My surviving photograph shows a spare, elderly man with jet-black skin, sparkling eyes and a ready smile. But don’t let that smile fool you: Endee was an unflinching disciplinarian who didn’t suffer fools lightly, and for whom idleness was the work of the Devil.

https://i.postimg.cc/t1VzqK5f/1940s163.jpg

Great photo of your grandad, he looks strikingly similar to my stepson.
Could we be family NH?
If you don't mind I'm going to share that photo with the lad. He needs to know his history and where he came from.

#5 Mar 08, 2022 9:13 am

New Historian
Active

Be my guest!

#6 Mar 08, 2022 12:39 pm

Slice
Active

But houston, did you say, you have a cousin in Piedmontemps and his last name is Samuel?  As ah gambling man ah placing ah 20, saying you and NH is some kinda family.

#7 Mar 08, 2022 10:01 pm

houston
Active

The handsome lad sure does look like Endee.

Resized-20171119-152219.jpg

#8 Mar 09, 2022 1:25 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Mi idea de un "campesino propietario."

#9 Mar 09, 2022 10:36 am

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

The handsome lad sure does look like Endee.

https://i.postimg.cc/CZfNq4nT/Resized-20171119-152219.jpg

I hope he isn't s miserable as my grand dad was lol!

Board footer