You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Mar 29, 2022 9:56 pm

houston
Active

Not to be forgotten

It seems the Vatican enjoys collectibles.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/th … collection

#2 Mar 30, 2022 2:57 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Not to be forgotten

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne … 180977519/

Wonderful article, Houston. I minored in art history when I was a student in college. I love museums but hates tours for I love the solo life! Europeans love to build wealth off other people's cultures. They have the knowledge, money and education to collect and lead the excavations to find artifacts. The Germans stole thousands of pieces of Benin art form Nigeria and had kept them for decades until it was recently decided that they return them back to Nigeria. I do not mind Europeans putting artifacts from other cultures on display for it provide better understanding of the foreign culture. But they should NEVER have them permanently in their possession Believe it or not, during the Syrian war recently, ISIS bombed many ancient temples and artifacts were plundered that had been around for some 3,000 years.  Many were sold on the black market. If one does not see the significance of artifacts from their civilization, then it's a damned pity! In situations like these, it is safe for artifacts to be in the hands of people who will protect and cherish them.

#3 Mar 30, 2022 7:45 pm

houston
Active

Interesting stuff WSS. It's about time some of these relics be returned to the people that they came from. Some cultures are totally unaware of existing artifacts that solidified their own existence.

#4 Mar 31, 2022 6:28 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

you are right, Houston. In the case of Africa and the Caribbean, we lack the knowledge. How many lawyers, archeologists, art historians, documentarians do we produce? Not a lot. When we are not aware, we are taken advantage of. In Grenada, you stage slave shows for tourists. If you look around the Heritage estate or dig up the area, you are going to find remnants from slavery. There is a very good copper used for sugar making lying around on the ground of the estate. A good Grenadian archeologist would use it in a collection for a slave museum where tourist could see artifacts from that era.

Board footer