You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Apr 20, 2022 12:13 pm

gripe
Active

Bank of England Owned 599 Enslaved People in Grenada in 1770's

Assuming that this forum has not yet discussed the above topic, here is the article:

https://thebarnaclenews.com/new-exhibit … rly-1770s/

#2 Apr 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Bank of England Owned 599 Enslaved People in Grenada in 1770's

Hello Gripe and how are you? This is Calypso under her new pseudonym, Wide Sargasso Sea. I was going to post that article in, but I didn't. James Baillie and his brother (s), the owners of Hermitage Estate are a subject of my interest. They owned properties all over the Caribbean except for Jamaica. I have been doing a lot of research on the family and have tracked down their descendants in Scotland.  Yes, Grenada should be asking for reparations as well. My research shows that there were at least 1.800 slave auctions on the old Hermitage Estate. I missed you, Gripe!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish … 4803175826

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … on-reveals

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Apr 20, 2022 7:30 pm)

#3 Apr 20, 2022 11:15 pm

gripe
Active

I am late but appreciate your response to my post, "WSS" (a creative handle), formally "Calypso". I wondered where you were on those occasions that I dropped in but did not post. The forum members know that you add respectable value to the discussions. You were greatly missed!

It is interesting that you had planned to post the reparations article linked at the top. My penchant for historical material had me not only reading the article but also thinking about the names mentioned, particularly MP Andrew Bailey. While I do not know the ownership history of Hermitage Estate, there is a Bailey Family involved in a completely different enterprise -- a funeral agency -- in Grenada.

I trust that in the end your research will unearth the answers that you seek.

On the larger complicated issue of reparations, success is on the horizon. Time will make that a reality.

#4 Apr 21, 2022 4:30 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Gripe, I have been researching slavery in the Caribbean for 5 years and just finished a collection of short stories inspired by Thomas Thistlewood's diaries. Apologies ARE NOT ENOUGH! Slavery should have never happened! We should be sick and tired of white politeness and their attitude of sweeping truths and atrocious they committed against our ancestors under the rug. It is time to give us what they owe us. James Baillie was compensated some 8 million (in today's money) for his slaves and properties. The Negroes, our ancestors, received nothing!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Apr 21, 2022 4:43 am)

#5 Apr 21, 2022 9:07 am

Slice
Active

Yep you and I read the very said article.  I think it was posted in Grenada Genealogical and Historical Society Online.

Ah wonder how you are  going to get the church to pay for slavery?

#6 Apr 23, 2022 3:42 pm

Dancer
Active

WSS I read  you spilling your  mouth to Gentleman Gripe .  Telling him what you were up to in you absence.
Working , writing , getting you name in lights .
'reading Thomas Thistlewood Diares '.
Set you ablaze , eh ?
Thomas's 'woman' . Mistress of the Manor . Maybe . ?

I listened to a 'show'  ..... pretty Ja  woman  host  , lo  ( national curtural  , historical ) talk show'

The topic was '  about your diares'

...good info teach.

Board footer