You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 05, 2022 5:56 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

IS THERE A LEGAL MIND IN THE HOUSE?

The Monroe Doctrine is used by the United States to control countries in the Americas since 1823? Who drew up the contract? Were the governments in the Americas all in agreement about its stipulations? Is it still legal despite the shift in power? Remember in the Caribbean in particular, the English were still in charge, but the blacks were not and could not or had the education to negotiate their fate. The Monroe Doctrine was utilized in Haiti during World War I when the Americans set up their naval bases in Haiti and degraded the Haitians because of the strong racial prejudice.  A Legal mind should look into how this doctrine was instituted. Could it be overturned by some loopholes in it? Look at the antique laws Grenada still enforce that go back to slave days. They should be overturned. Can the Monroe Doctrine be overturned? Some legal minds in the West Indies must look into it to see if it was one-sided or have a valid purpose. It would give the region more autonomy if it eradicated. 

>>>The three main concepts of the doctrine—separate spheres of influence for the Americas and Europe, non-colonization, and non-intervention—were designed to signify a clear break between the New World and the autocratic realm of Europe.

#2 May 05, 2022 6:21 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: IS THERE A LEGAL MIND IN THE HOUSE?

The Munroe Doctrine wasn't a 'contract', it was a USA foreign policy. No Caribbean countries 'signed' anything, so there is no contract to renegotiate.

#3 May 05, 2022 6:34 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

So, then it was one-sided. How can one nation decide for an entire region which encompass various countries? I smell fishy waters!

#4 May 05, 2022 7:12 pm

New Historian
Active

All waters are fishy lol! And you're absolutely right, t's like my neighbour in the mansion next door saying: "Hey, I think I'm entitled to those nice mangos on your tree, so I'll just help myself. And if you don't like it, then I'll send in the gunboats. Cool?" Otherwise known as the Big Brother Doctrine.

#5 May 05, 2022 7:24 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

I am simply saying that West Indians lawyers should look into it. As we define ourselves even more by moving away from English institutions, this could give us a new beginning.

#6 May 05, 2022 7:38 pm

New Historian
Active

There's nothing to look into, just the misguided memories of a fading empire...

#7 May 06, 2022 7:47 am

Slice
Active

Although, one can be tempted, there are certain shite, one need to stay away from.  Kinda happy NH dealt with it, not like an attorney, but rather like a Supreme Court Judge.

Board footer