You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 01, 2022 12:42 am

New Historian
Active

Different Species of Caribbean Yachtie

In 1992 my brother and I went on a boy's adventure: a month sailing around the Eastern Caribbean aboard my recently acquired 26-foot engineless sailboat: Jump-Up. We didn't know too much about sailing at the start of the trip, but we learned fast, through trial and lots of error! From another one of my scribblings...

Different Species of Caribbean Yachtie:

The Hippie: There’s 15 of them, crowded on board some rusty old converted trawler, beards, guitars and not much money. None older than 35. They’ve sold up everything in France, Denmark or wherever, teamed up with like-minded nomads, barely bought the boat, and gone sailing. Destination: anywhere interesting. Usually broke. Favourite haunt: Tyrell Bay. Frequently known to take root, in exotic destinations. Locals say: lock up your boat.

The Charterer: Been there done that. Nice, newish yachts, fitted out with everything. Lots of them French-built Benneteaus, in the distinctive blue-and-white of Moorings Charter. Usually with a professional skipper but some brave s, with mixed results. A diverse bunch, from yuppie couples to mega-families. Favourite target of earring-vendors. Favourite route: St Lucia southbound to Grenada on a seven-day package. Here today, gone tomorrow. Done it half a dozen times, either paid for, or paid.

The Serious Sailor: Usually French flag. Steel, hard-chine boats, salt-stained and loaded to the gills. Occasionally you see the serious ones, the solo circumnavigators, in some very tasty boats. Just to talk to them is an experience (yes, I’m in awe)

The Americans: Nice boats, big, Carolina or Annapolis registered, loaded with labour-saving gear. Seen mainly in northern Caribbean waters, Virgin Islands to Antigua. Lawyers, brokers and dentists predominate.

The Super-rich: Mega-yachts, plush palaces, air conditioned throughout. It amazes me, how these floating power plants get to be called yachts. She spawns her rich-folk toys: jet-skis, surfboards, and speedboats busily buzzing around, in the endless quest for fun. 

And us! We defied categorization!

That's my big brother Gerry, WSS try and stay calm!

image0000030-A-2.jpg

image0000048-A.jpg

image0000049-A.jpg

image0000145-A.jpg

#2 Jun 01, 2022 2:30 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Different Species of Caribbean Yachtie

Gerry was indeed lovely to look at. Twenty years ago, we were all a picture of loveliness. Why is he sitting down hiding his --you know what? In southern France there's a lot of mega-yachts and they take the fun from the capricious sea! Once again, where are the women who go sailing with you men? Do you tell them to stay home fanning?

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 01, 2022 5:35 am)

#3 Jun 01, 2022 11:11 am

New Historian
Active

'Once again, where are the women who go sailing with you men? Do you tell them to stay home fanning?'

Pretty much yes. The ladies ain't stupid, they leave boys to be boys and sail the boat, while they fly to our destination.

#4 Jun 01, 2022 4:42 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Typical West Indian men: wives stay at home, cook, clean and take care of the family while you have fun and chase every knickers available. I NEVER wanted that life. I wanted kinky fun with my husband!

#5 Jun 01, 2022 6:00 pm

New Historian
Active

Oh fafucksake woman, keep that knee-jerk reaction down nuh! Our wives have been sailing, with us, more than you'll ever dream. And motor biking. And hiking. And camping. And roughing it, now, they'd rather a bit of creature comforts. So back off bitch.

#6 Jun 01, 2022 6:02 pm

New Historian
Active

New Historian wrote:

Oh fafucksake woman, keep that knee-jerk reaction down nuh! Our wives have been sailing, with us, more than you'll ever dream. And motor biking. And hiking. And camping. And roughing it, now, they'd rather a bit of creature comforts. So back off bitch.

So stop saying it's 'harmless', it's not.

#7 Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

"So back off bitch."

I am not speaking to you again! NEVER AGAIN!

#8 Jun 01, 2022 9:19 pm

New Historian
Active

LOL ooman MUST you be so easy to rile up?? smile Know what you need to do? Get as good as you give, otherwise what's the point of banter? I know you ent serious, yuh jus' get a boof!

#9 Jun 03, 2022 10:16 am

Slice
Active

Just so you know WSS, we are married to very independent women.  Probably more conscious than you can dream about.  Not our fault men ent or women doh like you.

Board footer