You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 04, 2022 3:15 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

"Ah does love WSS." So Why Treat Me Like Shit???

You're indeed a beast! A complete beast! An ogre. Stop your abuse. Now! I'm not strong-- just opinionated. You are a terrible loser and that's when your temper flairs like a spirit- pored fire. It blazes up and consumes you. That's how you will expire!

#2 Jun 04, 2022 12:37 pm

gripe
Active

Re: "Ah does love WSS." So Why Treat Me Like Shit???

WSS, just a few choice words from your post got me: "An ogre." Words do have meaning.

Enjoy the trailer, everyone: https://youtu.be/Q2PgpiOeyY

#3 Jun 04, 2022 1:39 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Gripe, the video is not available anymore. What's your point?

#4 Jun 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Dancer
Active

gripe is  astounded  at  your frequent use of  ' Medieval Times language.'

.... cool with me. lol.

#5 Jun 04, 2022 5:28 pm

New Historian
Active

Beastly, horrid, ogre! Forsooth, methinks yon fair damsel WSS is suffering from a surfeit of historical language, perhaps a reaction from watching an excess of the Queen's Jubilee on television. She is, after all, a 'British subject', touching to see such love for her Sovereign being expressed, through her choice of words. I hope you didn't forget to curtsey at the TV set!

#6 Jun 04, 2022 6:22 pm

gripe
Active

First, WSS, my point was simply that I liked the word you chose. It has a subtle rhythm that becomes more alive once repeated.

Second, I have to find more time for TS and be more engaging.

Third, my apologies to everyone for that first link which was somehow broken. Here is the replacement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Pgp_iOeyY

#7 Jun 04, 2022 6:32 pm

houston
Active

Hey, hey, God Bless the Queen.
She is Jubilant with the merry tax paying peasants.
Mind you, she is the best of the bunch. I admire her longevity and ability to deal with all the nonsense that the underlings have brought onto the House of Windsor.
Yes indeed, God bless the classy lady.

#8 Jun 04, 2022 7:06 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Gripe, you are absolutely hilarious! We cannot seem to get it out of our tough heads that we are no longer slaves and that we should not think, talk and rave about the English monarchy. We've had an acrimonious history with them. Although there should be no hard feelings, we should not even acknowledge them.

#9 Jun 04, 2022 7:59 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Gripe, you are absolutely hilarious! We cannot seem to get it out of our tough heads that we are no longer slaves and that we should not think, talk and rave about the English monarchy. We've had an acrimonious history with them. Although there should be no hard feelings, we should not even acknowledge them.

We all agree, in principle, but: where were you when Princess Di died? Just like all of us, when 'epoch-making' events happen with the royal family, we take notice. It even affects us, no matter how hard we may try not to lol! After Lillibet pops her clogs, any day now, there will be a tectonic shift in The Firm. Charlie and Queen Horseface will never garner one tenth of the love and support of the dead Queen Liz, the beginning of the end, hopefully, for that bunch of spongers and perverts. Which reminds me of a story: the Old Bill (Cockney slang for police) weren't too impressed with my brother and me, when we urged people to "Forget the Royal Wedding":

On Wednesday, 29th July 1981, Prince Charles and Diana got married. For a year, Britain had been working itself up into a frenzy over “the wedding of the century”. It didn’t take long for Tom and I to become heartily sick of all the whole royal hoopla, so we decided to throw a “Forget the Wedding Party”, on the night before the big event. We rented a Thames riverboat called the Marchioness and started selling tickets for a river cruise.

It was an expensive venture; we had to pay up front for the boat, drinks, food, sounds, and then hope we sold enough tickets to make it all back. It was a close run thing, most of our friends were long on intentions but short on cash. Three days before the party and we were still a couple of hundred pounds in the red; things were looking grim. Then I happened upon a group of stockbrokers who were intrigued by the idea of watching the fireworks display at Hyde Park from a Thames riverboat.

“Are you sure we’ll see the fireworks from the boat?”

“Of course,” I reassured them, “I guarantee it!” This swung the deal, and all twenty of them plonked down their cash for the tickets, at a stroke tipping our business venture into the black - sweet!

On the night of 28th July 1981, about seventy of us gathered at the north bank of the Thames by Westminster Bridge and boarded the boat. We cast off and headed downstream, towards the Thames Barrier. The boat was soon rocking as we cruised down the river; happily oblivious to the wedding hullaballoo around us.

Except for our stockbrokers; while everyone else was partying below, they remained on deck, searching the skies for the elusive fireworks display, and sending increasingly strident messages to me downstairs: Where’s the fireworks? Eventually I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Look, there’s no fucking fireworks, okay – get over it. Now either stay up here and cry, or come downstairs and enjoy the party, first round of drinks on me!” Which they did, and had a grand time.

When the boat got back to the dock we were surprised to be met by a phalanx of policemen, who subjected everyone to a body search upon disembarkation. They had seen one of our posters, and wanted a closer look at these unpatriotic people who wanted to “Forget the Royal Wedding”. Gerry was chuffed, he’d never been frisked before.

Our riverboat, the Marchioness, went on to have a bad ending. On 20th August 1989, it collided with a dredger on the Thames, killing 51 people.

#10 Jun 05, 2022 7:01 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

It's been inculcated into us from birth to acknowledge them. We should train a new generation to behave in an independent manner. They haven't tried to help us in many ways; they've only taken from us. Where was Queen Eizabeth during the Windrush generation-- amid the racial prejudices experienced by the Caribbean folks? Why didn't she speak up? She has no power really. She is just a doll- up statue living in a museum.  I love Harry and Meghan. They are speaking up and getting the pinch for it! incidentally, I had a conversation with one of my colleagues, a former Afro-American lawyer turned teacher. I told her that despite slavery and oppression in America that I have notice that many Afro-Americans have gone on to become people of exceptional quality, yet they still sort the approval and recognition of the whites. It was inculcated in them from a very young age that "white" is better. They have no inclination that they can be better for just as good. Let us forget what we've been taught--realizing that England's royal family is not connected to our welfare!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm)

Board footer