You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm

New Historian
Active

Is there Hope for Haiti

The first time I went to Haiti was in 1975; a bright-eyed university student from Jamaica. I went with a group of art students (I was studying economics, but they were a cool group including some pretty girls!), and we stayed in a cheap B&B in downtown Port-au-Prince. We went to countless galleries, danced to the infectious meringue rhythms in street cafes, went to a voodoo ceremony and ate poulet de montagne, a local delicacy containing the strangest looking “chicken” bones I’d ever seen – I loved it!

I was enthralled at the vibrant culture; but at the same time appalled by the extreme poverty I saw in Port-au-Prince on a daily basis: women washing babies in the gutter; flies and filth intermingled with food. In Jamaica we had poverty, terrible poverty in Kingston’s ghettoes; but nothing like this.

The next time I went to Haiti was twenty years later, in 1995. I was working with the World Bank, trying to help rebuild Haiti’s shattered economy after decades of dictatorial misrule. I could never have imagined that, 20 years after my first visit, the seventies would be looked upon fondly as the good old days. In 1975, Haiti was poor, but at least it was vibrant, you could feel the energy. By 1995, not only was Haiti poorer, worse yet: it was soul-aching.

In 1995, Haiti had a per capita Gross National Income of US$269 per annum; less than the price of the proverbial good dinner in Paris (haven to many of Haiti’s fleeing ex-dictators, such as the odious Baby-Doc Duvalier). Repeat: this is average income per year - the scale of poverty is hard to comprehend. How do people live? Long gone were the vibrancy and optimism I had experienced in 1975; after two more decades of grinding poverty and dictatorial excess, any remaining optimism in Haiti had been replaced by a sense of physical, mental and spiritual weariness; a loss of hope.

#2 Jun 23, 2022 12:35 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Is there Hope for Haiti

NH, I've read articles you've written about Haiti in the Jamaican Gleaner and others here on the forum. You seem to have a very puerile knowledge about the country and its struggles. Haiti is poor because of mismanagement and America's constant interference. Its traumatic history after its self-liberation in 1804 did not stabilized the country. The warring factions between the leaders of the revolution and the death of its strongman, Louverture by the hands of Bonaparte in 1803. Being the first black nation was very dangerous at the time of its liberation. It clearly was not ready like the Belgium Congo. Its premature liberation destroyed its infrastructure by making it vulnerable since no one would trade with them. Without the possibility of trade, a country has no investment power. The reparations it had to pay France depleted its economy. The class struggle between it mixed-race population and its predominantly blacks caused the lack of wealth distribution. Sometimes a fast transition from white domination to black rule is not good for the country but a gradual transition with a good plan in mind is the best. When the plantocracy hierarchy fell in Haiti, its primary farming society could not sustain the economy.  The country's poor economy has made it vulnerable to attacks by America. When a small country is dependent on a large and overtly racist country like America its destiny is doom. As far as I am concerned, all islands are puppet nations but Haiti's position makes her worst. Haiti has had hopeful leaders but big nations plotted to oust or assassinate them. Is there hope for Haiti? Yes. If they want it badly as they did the revolution then they will rise again. THEY HAVE TO SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM little by little.

#3 Jun 23, 2022 9:58 am

New Historian
Active

And ... Idon't know all that?

#4 Jun 23, 2022 10:35 am

Dancer
Active

*Puerile *
Another good  one  ...  '  Lord  ,,  I learning ,   lo.

WSS   ,  Don't mind  NH  , he is feeling guilt  , working for the Money Men to ravish  Haiti.

smh.  sad. sad ,,,,,,, sad.

Ahhhhh , money , money , money .

#5 Jun 23, 2022 2:28 pm

New Historian
Active

Ravish haiti my arse, you people should try and learn more than corny left-wing cliches. Donor agencies are supporting Haiti, without them the place would be even more of a disaster.

#6 Jun 23, 2022 7:15 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

New Historian wrote:

Ravish haiti my arse, you people should try and learn more than corny left-wing cliches. Donor agencies are supporting Haiti, without them the place would be even more of a disaster.

Well that's the point. They want to support because when you give money to build eventually to want control. You give money for investments and you do not see the historical or political sides. Your horrid articles tell me something about you. You see Haiti as a big vodun ceremony with people breaking chicken necks and drinking their blood. Why was Aristide  such a treat to the USA and France? Go away with your mumbo-jumbo bullshit!

Article has very good insights

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/ … usa.france

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 23, 2022 8:28 pm)

#7 Jun 23, 2022 9:16 pm

New Historian
Active

You ever been to Haiti, expert? God save me from you Guardian warriors, try and actually DO something first nuh? All you do is sit in your high chair and spout rhetoric and garbage. How many jobs have you created? How many sustainable companies employing thousands of people have you financed? Crawl back to your cave of ignorance.

#8 Jun 24, 2022 1:42 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

New Historian wrote:

You ever been to Haiti, expert? God save me from you Guardian warriors, try and actually DO something first nuh? All you do is sit in your high chair and spout rhetoric and garbage. How many jobs have you created? How many sustainable companies employing thousands of people have you financed? Crawl back to your cave of ignorance.

My cave of ignorance? How about your crystal clear waterfall of running wind?

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 25, 2022 3:12 am)

#9 Jun 24, 2022 10:39 am

Dancer
Active

" I don't think that I should be telling of the World Bank with a member of the same aboard.
But Hey !  I'll share  some info ...... I'll take a stab at it ...

World Bank Group : International Development  Poverty.
- With 189 members countries the World Bank is a unique global partnership  fighting poverty world wide through  sustainable solutions.
Who funds the World Bank ?
The World Bank receives funds from wealthy nations  and from the issance  of dept securities, such as bonds.
What country owns the World Bank.?

ME to the above question .     Who has the largest slice of the pie.   
Our WB expert might answer that. But I am not sure  ,  for he always seem so sensitive about the WB. 
"I don't know' "

#10 Jun 24, 2022 10:57 am

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:

" I don't think that I should be telling of the World Bank with a member of the same aboard.
But Hey !  I'll share  some info ...... I'll take a stab at it ...

World Bank Group : International Development  Poverty.
- With 189 members countries the World Bank is a unique global partnership  fighting poverty world wide through  sustainable solutions.
Who funds the World Bank ?
The World Bank receives funds from wealthy nations  and from the issance  of dept securities, such as bonds.
What country owns the World Bank.?

ME to the above question .     Who has the largest slice of the pie.   
Our WB expert might answer that. But I am not sure  ,  for he always seem so sensitive about the WB. 
"I don't know' "

The USA does. Yeah I get touchy when ignorant people talk out of their ass without an ounce of information to back it up.

Board footer