You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 May 25, 2017 8:25 pm

houston

Re: NOW IF YOU BELIEVE THAT, THEN AH OWN FIVE OF THE WORLDS MOST EXPENSIV

Slice wrote:

Making the argument about prices in Grenada, verses America is really difficult.  I agree at the first look,  America seems to have a very low cost of living.  Recently I bought a 1000 watts transformer in America and I paid $58.00.  In Grenada God knows the price, I think it is somewhere in the neighbor of $1000.

I am doing some work on  my house in Grenada.  The cost to paint it is very cheap as compared to if I had to do it in America.  What I am paying in Grenada is what I would pay to paint one average size room.

The electrical work in Grenada is crazy low.  If I call an electrician in America, as soon as starts his journey on his way to my house, I have to start paying.  A plumber is almost the same, you do not pay the plumber for his journey, but there is minimum of $250.00, even before they start.

I would say, it is wash  between Grenada and America.

Slice, skilled trades people ain't cheap to call to your home for service. Of course they will charge travel time, work time, marked up parts cost, truck charge for wear and tear, fuel..etc. They will also apply an extra for the use of specialized tools and equipment, thereby having the customer pay for the replacement of worn out tools.

Amazing today how many people can view a U Tube training video and become there own home repair person. Mind you, some of the tools required maybe not worth the investment, especially if they are only for one time use. But hey...you could always lend it to a friend that might need it. Yup, in that case you might never see it again?

#12 May 25, 2017 8:54 pm

houston

Roofing work stinks. No idea how some of those workers can do it on the hottest of summer days.
Mainly Portuguese that do the flat roofing here. Covered in tar at days end, but they do make good money and rightfully so.

BTW, a 50 year steel roof looks good on any home. So much better than tar shingles.

#13 May 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Real Distwalker

houston wrote:

BTW, a 50 year steel roof looks good on any home. So much better than tar shingles.

I have covenants that prohibit them. sad

Should I build out on my farmland, that is what I intend to use.

#14 May 26, 2017 7:41 am

Slice

houston wrote:

Roofing work stinks. No idea how some of those workers can do it on the hottest of summer days.
Mainly Portuguese that do the flat roofing here. Covered in tar at days end, but they do make good money and rightfully so.

Not only ah pay for all me work, I also get the professional.  I paid dearly having ah PADNAH do me roof.  I now call roofers, yep it cost three times as much, but doh have to worry.  There is also Guarantee.  I like the no worries kind.

I gave   another PADNAH two bathrooms jobs, he F#$K that up.  My next job was me kitchen.  I made sure I gave it to someone who knows what they are doing.  Me PADNAH never spoke to me again, but say what.  I got my job done and I am happy.

Once ah bought ah desk, that needed assembling.  It took me ah month to get the damn thing together.  The same thing happened with my Gas grill.  Ah use to be getting up 3am  to try and figure this SHEET out not me again.  Ah paying to have it done.

#15 May 26, 2017 7:43 am

Slice

Slice wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

If I call an electrician in America, as soon as starts his journey on his way to my house, I have to start paying.  A plumber is almost the same, you do not pay the plumber for his journey, but there is minimum of $250.00, even before they start,

The cost of labor in the US is very high.  The cost of goods and commodities is shockingly low.   Learn to do your own work and you will be rolling in the dough. 

Like they say, women like handymen as much as handsome men. 

Fortunately, I am both. smile

I pay for everything.  I painted my basement once and wife had about ah million complains, and that was it.  I do get ah break on my simple car work, like brakes and little stuff.  Things I know my mechanic can handle without messing up.  Don't let him touch my Jag.

Two painters did my Upstairs, they change ah arm and ah leg. I am not handy, so ah have to pay for everything.  Plus ah can't take the complains when ah try to do something and it doh look good.  Let her fuss with the contractor.

Slice ent handy and as sure as daylight he ent sexy, but that is fine ah making it.  I love to make garden, not sure if that counts.

Board footer