You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 14, 2017 8:08 am

Slice
Active

EXPAT, LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT RETURNING NATIONALS

I called and the information is so damn sketch, I just doh know what to expect.
So I was told bring down your container or containers with a one way ticket, go to the ministry, fill out some kinda of form and then I should be fine, once the form is filled.  Is that how it works, or it is more complicated than that?

Help me out here, please.

#2 Jun 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Expat
Active

Re: EXPAT, LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT RETURNING NATIONALS

Slice wrote:

I called and the information is so damn sketch, I just doh know what to expect.
So I was told bring down your container or containers with a one way ticket, go to the ministry, fill out some kinda of form and then I should be fine, once the form is filled.  Is that how it works, or it is more complicated than that?

Help me out here, please.

I think it's roughly so, but I think you can get the form from the consulate before you arrive.

You need to be aware of what is reduced tariff and what is not.

I think the allowances have changed from my time.

All things are variable depending on the mood of the person you meet. For example, we did not have one way tickets.... who in their right mind would buy a one way ticket, it is more expensive than a return..... even if you don't use the return half.... I did, as I had to go back to conclude selling a property, and then arrived with another return ticket 3 months later.

Make sure you have a manifesto for the container, as depending on what you bring being able to tell an official in the future....I brought this or that in legally may save some hassle. EG I brought in an air rifle and some other stuff which needed to be registered. I got it sorted without too much hassle, but it only takes a cop having a bad day to make your life miserable.

#3 Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Silkee
Active

Health care in Grenada makes me wonder.So many people dying young.Just look at
Ottway and LaQua ontiuaries.
,A few old people.Alot of young ones.Whats with preventative care? Who would want to retire there when handiscapped access is not available? Lord help you if you have an emergency. Call 911? Not likely.
What has anyones' experience with this been?

#4 Jun 18, 2017 7:45 pm

houston
Active

I admire Expat for having such a beautiful place to retire year round.
But... good luck dialing 911 and expecting help when an emergency happens.

#5 Jun 19, 2017 7:38 am

Slice
Active

Expat it seems, I might be on the right road.  thought it was more complicated.  I also learn if a vehicle is in the picture it must be paid off.  Here is what ah learn about one way ticket,  this is very strange,  Americans can't buy one way ticket out of the country.  all tickets must be return. I just could not believe that. 

Thanks ah bunch.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 24, 2017 7:24 am)

#6 Jun 19, 2017 7:45 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

If you see him in Grenada, you just might be jealous. He look much younger than his age and he is very relaxed.  when ah grow up ah want to be just like Expat.

I ent saying the Medical system is the best, but it has made some improvements.

#7 Jun 19, 2017 7:49 am

Slice
Active

Silkee wrote:

Health care in Grenada makes me wonder.So many people dying young.Just look at
Ottway and LaQua ontiuaries.
,A few old people.Alot of young ones.Whats with preventative care? Who would want to retire there when handiscapped access is not available? Lord help you if you have an emergency. Call 911? Not likely.
What has anyones' experience with this been?

It is really ah mix. Ah still see 80s, 90, and  100 Death announcement.  We go dead anyway, so why not take the leap.

What is the last time you been in Grenada? If you call Emergency, they are there.  There are vast improvement in the Medical system.

#8 Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Benedict
Active

I think a lot of people is using the medical situation in Grenada as a excuse  for not returning. To me, it is a cop out.
There is people I know that return with medical condition and are still alive. It is true they return to foreign once a year for check up.
It is also true  the medical staff could do a better job. Just recently a young man die,of what I would call negligent.
As for young people dying. It is also happening in the states. I think ,when the big man call,there is not a damn thing you can do but obey.
As you may know,high blood pressure and diabetics is rampant in Grenada and they have what could help them. Some of them know but they not changing their lifestyle.  In 2014 we spent some time down there. This young man came by and was complaining how he was feeling. My wife took his pressure and it was very high. He had medication but he was not taking it.The reason was,the med killing his set. He is no longer with us.

#9 Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Slice
Active

Leh me say, why folks use the Medical issue.  Moving back to Grenada is not cheap.  I have never met ah Grenadian with some kinda money that do not plan to move back.  Those with little or no money are always using the health issue.  In some cases they do have ah point.

I admit it is not where it could be, but it has taken some nice steps.

#10 Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm

houston
Active

Slice wrote:
houston wrote:

If you see him in Grenada, you just might be jealous. He look much younger than his age and he is very relaxed.  when ah grow up ah want to be just like Expat.

I ent saying the Medical system is the best, but it has made some improvements.

My comment may have been unqualified as it's been quite some time since last there. Used to spend a lot of time there and would love to get back for a visit. I'm sure there would be several changes, especially after Ivan.
The last time there the hospital was in the process of being built and I got married in the Court House. Can remember that day like yesterday and haven't been back since...
There was always a strong police presence on motorcycles, but I don't recall ever seeing an ambulance. That may have changed but I have to wonder how an EMS vehicle could get around during a 911. Many people can survive a heart attack these days if EMS can get there in the golden minutes, or you are lucky enough to have a person nearby that can do CPR for a lengthy time (rare that is) and also have a difibulator handy.
All medical systems have there problems. The medical facilities may be great, the biggest problem is getting to them alive.

Board footer