You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#21 Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: EXPAT, LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT RETURNING NATIONALS

Correction: the National Health Service IS fast - when they need to be. On 7th April 2016, when my daughter in London got SERIOUSLY sick with a mystery ailment, she was IMMEDIATELY put into Intensive Care, and remained there, receiving UNBELIEVABLY excellent care, until she was released, 90 days later.

I saw it, she lived it, the health care, and human care, she received, was EXCELLENT. Long live the NHS!!

#22 Jun 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, I have heard that they are able to manage emergencies adequately.   Try to get a cat scan or an EKG, however, and it ain't going to be fast.

I have lived a life of uncertainty and am comfortable with it.  I have been an entrepreneur and am risk accepting.  At 53 years old, I have been healthy and, as a result, I have paid little for health care.  Had I made the same money in the UK, I would have paid out the ass for that "free" health care in the form of taxes.

Some people are risk adverse and prefer a system that offers the illusion of "free" stuff.  I don't.  I prefer to pay as I go.

To each his own.

#23 Jun 21, 2017 10:43 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes your taxes in the UK would be higher than in the US, but that's not just because of free health care, we have this thing called the Welfare State which, even though seriously shrunken by years of Tory misrule starting with "Thatcher the milk snatcher" (Google for reference), also adds a bob or two onto the tax bill.

And that, as Britain is now waking up to, is how we like it. Britons aren't as self-centred as Americans, are a little more altruistic. Grenfell was the wake-up call, pity it had to take over a hundred "poor hence worthless" lives to wake people up. "Jezza" will win the next election, sure thing.

#24 Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We have a welfare state in the US too, make no mistake.  Contrary to the propaganda, nobody is starving and nobody has no choice but to be homeless.

As for the fire: The cladding on the outside of the Grenfell building was flammable and it was a material that is illegal for that use in Germany and in the United States.  Had it been flameproof, it is likely everyone would have made it out alive.

In Iowa, any commercial or residential building that has over 100 people MUST have a sprinkler system.  When we expanded our church we needed to add one.  In the US, the Grenfell building would have been required to be sprinkled by law.

Look, I am an Anglophile and really like just about everything English.  I really do.  Even though it isn't my ancestry, it is my prefered cultural heritage.  I don't think everything in the UK is superior to everything in the US, however.  It is a mixed bag.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jun 21, 2017 11:04 pm)

#25 Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm

New Historian
Active

That cladding is also banned in the UK too:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po … 95696.html

Some dodgy sleazebag cheapskate but cheap contractor who put that deathtrap on Grenfell is, right now, shitting himself, waiting for that call or knock on the door, which will surely come. Just hope he hasn't legged it yet. This is what happens when TORY central governments and local council put 100% emphasis on one thing above all else: Cuts; cheapness, cutting corners. Okay that's three, but all sides of the same coin.

I Love a lot of things about UK; but not enough to live there anymore. Ditto America lol. Of the two I prefer the UK - but not by much lol!

If we're gonna include Grenada in the mix, NOW you're talking lol!!!

#26 Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I understand. 

I would, point out, however, that the United States is a huge place.  The culture is pretty varied.  Boston, New Orleans. San Francisco, Dallas, Miami, Honolulu...   all pretty different and all pretty radically different from my rural Iowa home.  It is hard to say what the overarching US culture is.

Grenada is awesome.  I like it but no matter what, I would always be an outsider there.  It could never truly be home for me.  I guess there is only one place on this earth where they call us "one of our own."

#27 Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Grenada shares a trait with the US, in that many people have moved there and have become "almost locals" - like Expat lol! For the moment I'm living in Barbados, which isn't like that one little bit. Bajans are highly xenophobic, especially to other West Indians. This recent horrible mistreatment of two Grenadian women got my blood boiling!

https://www.barbadostoday.bb/2017/01/13/strip-searched/

#28 Jun 24, 2017 7:30 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Doh want it and doh really care, but I ent letting her do it."

Slice is that a friendly neighbourly thing to do? Live and let live nuh? What you want, the bluggo to fall on the ground and rot? That's a sin my friend.

No wonder JCBs get such a bad rep.

OH GOSH ah try me best to be not one of them JCBs, ah stay quiet most ah the time.

When ah met Expat, he gave me some stories and ah telling you some of the stories sound like Jealousy.  I did not give him true feeling when we were talking about after some considerate ah realize, them DAMN Grenadian to damn jealous.

Ah hate Bluggo.  If anyone think ah go fight them for bluggo and ah strip ah land they are Sadly mistaken.

#29 Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm

New Historian
Active

So let them take the damn bluggo nuh? You ole miseraation on mankind lol!!!

#30 Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

So let them take the damn bluggo nuh? You ole miseraation on mankind lol!!!

Quite so, but why the hell they can't just take fresh plants when they sprout and carry them over to their side of the boundary instead of wanting to keep marching backwards and forwards.

That way Slice can root up the Bluggo he doh even like, and plant some plantain.

Slice could even dig them up slice the top off, clean the root ball, stick them over on their side, and say you have them, I don't want them.... end of. It's rainy season, they go grow.

Board footer