You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#31 Jul 05, 2017 10:08 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: When we were Kings: Whispering Death

Lawdamassy lol! Look, there are certain historical wrongs that need to be righted: the Mau-Mau, internment of the Japanese, indeed apartheid itself, where the TRC came from. But, I would humbly suggest, that the treatment meted out to the rebels is NOT one of those burning wrongs that must be righted. It's just not that big a deal; they took their chances, they made mistakes, if they couldn't move on with their lives afterwards (God knows they had a fairly large nest egg to start them on their way!), then that's their own fault. Nobody owes them squat.

If you want to do something for ex-West Indian cricketers, do something for the scores of old, broke middle-level ex-players, who have nothing for all their years of service. NOT for a bunch of rebels, who got way more money than the average West Indian cricketer ever dreamed of earning. You make your bed, you sleep in it.

#32 Jul 05, 2017 10:22 pm

gripe
Active

We can all find causes to support. We also have different opinions on events. Obviously you will support your causes and I will find those that appeal to me. That is a FAIR statement.

Last edited by gripe (Jul 05, 2017 10:24 pm)

#33 Jul 05, 2017 10:30 pm

New Historian
Active

In other words: different strokes.... one man's meat ...

Agree to disagree.

Ciao!

#34 Jul 05, 2017 10:37 pm

gripe
Active

Agreed!

#35 Jul 06, 2017 7:42 am

Slice
Active

Yes and so am I. These BASTARDS, should never ever be forgiven. I think you are taking this situation very lightly and if you are Caribbean, you should take this much more serious.  I guess you do not understand the seriousness of what they did.  I guess you are also saying, that if it was you, you also would of sold yourself for a few pieces of silver, not once considering what is really involved.

#36 Jul 06, 2017 9:17 am

gripe
Active

I am responding, Slice, because I believe your last post was directed to me.

It does not matter whether or not I am from the Caribbean. As world citizens (forget the insularity of being from specific regions and countries), we can have views on matters that reach beyond our borders. The fact is that you have expressed your opinion on the West Indian "rebels" and I have also made my views known.

Contrary to your thinking, however, at no point did I indicate that I agreed with what the West Indian "rebels" did; in fact, not only did I characterize their actions as mistakes and shortcomings, but, my major quarrel was shown to be with the extreme and unfair punishment that they received compared to the punishment given to the English cricketers who also played in then-Apartheid South Africa. So, with some reluctance, I would say that you are performing worse than a novice gymnast that is learning to balance himself/herself when you state that "I guess you are also saying, that if it was you, you also would of sold yourself for a few pieces of silver, not once considering what is really involved." I venture that any objective reader of my comments in this entire thread would find your statement to be totally baseless. Make fact-based comments and not be too influenced by your emotions.

Finally, let the matter rest; please!

#37 Jul 06, 2017 10:56 am

New Historian
Active

"Finally, let the matter rest; please!"

AMEN lol!! It's been a good to-and-fro folks - and no one got rude. Well not very lol!

Board footer