You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Antiquarian

Road Workers Out in Force Today...

For the past two weeks, I've been driving up to St. Patrick's (from St. George's) every morning. So believe me when I say that it was a stark, crazy thing to behold today: out of nowhere, a huge set of workers cleaning the road in every village, all over the country. It's necessary work, and maybe Carnival has something to do with it, but really, to me, I seein signals of the election coming just now.

So what I'm wondering-- how harmful is this practice? People need some money in their pocket (especially since Carnival is coming up and school books/supplies are around the corner), but the government is keeping people dependent on them and creating the expectation that government will solve everything.

What do you all think of that?

#2 Jul 07, 2017 9:23 am

Slice

Re: Road Workers Out in Force Today...

I can assure you it has not ah damn thing  to do with carnival.  Ok so just maybe I am wrong, but going back to way before ah was born, it is a sure sign that once Road work  is plentiful that is ah sure sign, that election is coming soon.

Now other Spice folk that reside in Grenada, can jump in and tell me if ah telling the truth.

In the whole of the Caribbean governments are the main employers.  Grenada is not America, they all depends on government.

#3 Jul 07, 2017 3:40 pm

gripe

Slice, a report titled "Self-employment on the rise in the Caribbean, but quality jobs remain elusive" proves that you are wrong when you state that "In the whole of the Caribbean governments are the main employers." Here are two quotes from that report:

1. "A massive 60% of Latin America employees work for businesses with five or fewer employees and this figure grows to almost 70% in the Caribbean."

2. "the vast majority (some 70%) of business owners across the Caribbean work alone."

Here is a link to the report: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/featur … bs-elusive

#4 Jul 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Slice

Look like I was wrong, but ah wonder what is like in the English speaking caribbean.

g.

Last edited by Slice (Jul 07, 2017 6:37 pm)

#5 Jul 07, 2017 7:27 pm

gripe

It seems that people are getting away from a total dependence on the government.

The private sector is a big part of employment for many in the English speaking Caribbean.

But, there is also the fact that both private and public (re)sources for employment creation is needed. According to one study titled "Labor Market Issues in the Caribbean: Scope to Mobilize Employment Growth":

"Overall, panel estimation highlights the importance of private credit and public investment to sustain employment growth in the long run, which is supported by growth in private credit, in tourism and in major trading partners in the short run. Pooling individual country data in panel estimation highlights determinants of employment growth across the Caribbean sample. In the long run, private credit, consistent with the evidence for individual countries, has helped sustain employment growth in the region, attesting to the importance of credit availability to support private investment and reduce unemployment. Additionally, public investment is conducive to job growth in the region in the long run."  Source: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp … p14115.pdf

#6 Jul 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Expat

Slice wrote:

Look like I was wrong, but ah wonder what is like in the English speaking caribbean.

I think you were right and wrong.

I think you are right when the road cleaners and fixers start coming out in force especially when we are being told what the procedures for announcing the next election will be.

But who knows currently what the Government employment ration is in Grenada,,, Grenada is not necessarily the average Caribbean country, so average figures do not dictate what the actual employment rate is.

g.

#7 Jul 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Antiquarian

Exactly, Expat. My own observation is that Slice is right that government is the main employer-- who else is bigger than that? Landscaping, bus driver, construction worker, market seller, etc-- these are all individual businesses. I'm sure there are numbers for how many people work in the government and probably also for the number of Imani (and there are a TON of Imani). I just doh have time to look it up at the moment....

I guess gripe is addressing my question, though, that the private sector is coming up. I'm not convinced it's on the rise in Grenada, but I hope I'm wrong.

Board footer