You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 16, 2017 2:19 pm

gripe
Active

Math "Genius" Mirzakhani, The Trajectory of the Billiard Ball & Life

I just read the sad news of the passing of Prof. Mirzakhani, considered a math genius. Here is partly why:

"In 2014 Mirzakhani won the Fields Medal, the equivalent of the Nobel Prize for Mathematics, which is awarded by the International Congress of Mathematicians.

The award recognized her sophisticated and original contributions to the fields of geometry and dynamical systems, particularly in understanding the symmetry of curved surfaces such as spheres."

The story also went on to state:

"Mirzakhani also collaborated with Alex Eskin, a University of Chicago mathematician "to take on another of the most-vexing problems in the field: the trajectory of a billiards ball around a polygonal table," Stanford News said.

"The challenge began as a thought exercise among physicists a century ago and had yet to be solved."

The duo published a 200-page long paper on the subject in 2014 hailed as "the beginning of a new era" in mathematics, according to Stanford News."

Source for the story and the above quotes: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mat … id=sk2edhp

I then asked myself the following questions:

1. How does understanding the trajectory of a billiard ball help humanity?
2. It took 200 hundred pages to explain the billiard ball trajectory issue?

To be fair, I once read that a monk devoted about the last 30 years of his life to determine how TALL Jesus was . . .

To each his/her own, I guess!

#2 Jul 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Math "Genius" Mirzakhani, The Trajectory of the Billiard Ball & Life

gripe ah was once watching how earth was created and what keep it in place.  When the show ended ah say what the Fu&k, ah din understand ah thing about this show ah just watch for two hours.  But there are folks who totally gets it and understand it. See me point.

#3 Jul 16, 2017 6:58 pm

gripe
Active

That is true, Slice. Some things are so way off sometimes for some of us. The complexities of life help to explain that fact.

#4 Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

gripe ah was once watching how earth was created and what keep it in place.  When the show ended ah say what the Fu&k, ah din understand ah thing about this show ah just watch for two hours.  But there are folks who totally gets it and understand it. See me point.

Cmon dude it's pretty simple. Whether you want to claim it was due to a God, or simply random interactions... your choice...

The Vastness of  space is filled with dust and debris, from either the original big bang, or as the result of hundreds of millions of Stars self destruction over several billion years. It's like having a scrap yard where cars reassemble themselves from the bits.

This dust coalesces, and in the case of our planetory system the Sun most likely sucked up (via gravity) most of it, and then by degrees smaller planets either gaseous or rocky, or a combination formed in a similar way around the Sun, it is believed there was some gravity dancing along the way as Some planets are in the "wrong place", but end result dust particle bumps into dust particle, this attracts other particles until they are big enough to have their own gravity, at which point they PULL other particles bigger and bigger unto themselves.

Over time it would have become hot due to the compression caused by Gravity, add to that ice meteors , and ores from other fragmented planets etc, and you have foundling earth. Let another planet take a side swipe at it, and the splurge that got knocked off becomes the moon, and well that's it. Easy peasy.

#5 Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am

Slice
Active

My point exactly.

#6 Jul 17, 2017 5:18 pm

gripe
Active

"Easy peasy" indeed, Expat! The spinning of my head reminded me of the owl's innate head rotation skill. Then, things settled down, although I felt dizzy. Your explanation caused that reaction.

I admire the scientific mind. But, I will stick with my arts/social science-bent in trying to understand most aspects of our complicated world.

Board footer