You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Expat

LBGT Military acceptance.

There is a Hague provided table of Military acceptance of the LBGT community, and New Zealand comes top with the UK second.

America is down there at number 40, and the Africans start coming in at 58 with Rwanda. Nigeria always a tolerant country bottoms the list at 103.

#2 Aug 04, 2017 11:57 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: LBGT Military acceptance.

There are about a thousand reasons people might be unfit for military service ranging from heart murmurs, flat feet, bone spurs, depression and so forth.  Hell, you can be denied enlistment for having a neck or facial tattoo.  It doesn't seem such a leap that gender dysphoria might be one such condition. 

Having flat feet doesn't make you a bad person and neither does gender dysphoria.  It just means that the needs of an organization that exists for the purpose of warfighting isn't the right place for you. 

Why is it any more or less than that?

#3 Aug 05, 2017 1:06 am

Calypso

Real Distwalker wrote:

There are about a thousand reasons people might be unfit for military service ranging from heart murmurs, flat feet, bone spurs, depression and so forth.  Hell, you can be denied enlistment for having a neck or facial tattoo.  It doesn't seem such a leap that gender dysphoria might be one such condition. 

Having flat feet doesn't make you a bad person and neither does gender dysphoria.  It just means that the needs of an organization that exists for the purpose of warfighting isn't the right place for you. 

Why is it any more or less than that?

America coming 40th on the list does not mean that the country is backward. It means that it has taken a stance. Should gays, lesbian, bisexual  and transgender be let in the military? I remain very conservative on this matter.  To each his own. I see transgender teachers. I would not hire one if I were a principal but that is my preference.

#4 Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am

Real Distwalker

Gays and lesbians don't bother me but trasexuals - people with gender dysphoria who think they are the opposite sex - seem pretty disruptive to me. 

Furthermore, they represent and infinitesimally small part of the population. 

I don't see how forcing the military to deal with them is any way in line with the warfighting mission of the military for national defense.

#5 Aug 05, 2017 10:07 am

Calypso

Real Distwalker wrote:

Gays and lesbians don't bother me but trasexuals - people with gender dysphoria who think they are the opposite sex - seem pretty disruptive to me. 

I don't see how forcing the military to deal with them is any way in line with the warfighting mission of the military for national defense.

gay and lesbians are acceptable to me as well. the other orientations are psychological issues not physiological.

#6 Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

So if we need to take a picky line,  Gays who could be admiring your Butt in the shower give you no cause for concern.  OK if that's the way you hang.  smile

Me, I am prepared to accept all variations, to say Oh these are OK because they fit in with what I have been accustomed to, but these others.... I aint so sure... just sad.  Maybe in another 20 years Calypso will have caught up.

I do understand what you say about disruption, but if, as some services do the changeling is not hired until surgery is complete, then what's the issue. I don't think the Military should be used as a convenient road to Gender selection. But as you say the numbers are infinitesimally small, what's the big deal?  You got a degree or what ever out of it, they get a Vagina... different strokes for different folks.

I really am not too sure what Calypso thinks, as, as far as I can see, whether the person is Gay/Lesbian....Sorry Gays etc.... they are an aberration where the brain is stimulated by the same sex, or the person is Transgender.... where the brain isn't comfortable with the gender of the body it has been planted in, it is ALL issues with the brain, and caused by some hormone or chemical event while the person was still in the womb. Unless you are one of those Troglodytes that still thinks people choose to be Gay just for the fun of being beaten up?

#7 Aug 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Real Distwalker

The point is, if they can say you are unfit for military service because you lost your little finger, you have a neck tattoo, don't have a high school diploma or because you have a heart murmur, I don't see any reason they can't also say you are unfit for military service if you suffer from gender dysphoria.

#8 Aug 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Expat

Other than spoiling the cut of your jib, I don't know about neck tattoo's, but all the other things you mentioned or implied were conditions that made you unfit to fight or indicated you were too dumb to understand orders.  Having a pump up willy doesn't. Neither does needing lube for a quicky. They are only suffering while it hasn't been resolved, and even then it wouldn't stop them from doing basic training.

#9 Aug 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Real Distwalker

I disagree.  They are mentally ill.  If you are a man and you think you are Napoleon, a lamppost, a giraffe or a woman you are unfit for military service because you have mental issues that need to be resolved.

#10 Aug 06, 2017 8:06 am

Calypso

Real Distwalker wrote:

I disagree.  They are mentally ill.  If you are a man and you think you are Napoleon, a lamppost, a giraffe or a woman you are unfit for military service because you have mental issues that need to be resolved.

It is indeed psychological. There's one who lives in my neighborhood. He is rather quite unattractive and is ultra feminine. you see, normal women are feminine and masculine as well. He is always overdone: hair, nails, clothes. I get the impression that he spends a lot on lingerie to feel sexy. Normal women are not that way. We do not strive to maintain such perfection.

Board footer