You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Dec 09, 2016 10:40 pm

gripe

Re: On this date in 1781: The Zong Massacre

I gained from your posting of the story, RD. I did not know about it and now I have the added opportunity to read Lord Mansfield's reasoning in the case decision.

For Calypso, I knew a bit about Lord Mansfield, but would like to understand his reasoning in the case that RD pointed us to regarding the massacre.

#12 Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

Calypso

Calypso wrote:

Gripe, continue to read about Mansfield here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Elizabeth_Belle

Gripe, (please drink rosewater to get rid of your gripe) Dido Elizabeth Bell ( see the movie, Belle) was the biracial daughter of Sir John Lindsay who was stationed in the West Indies. Her mother was a slave. When her mother died Lindsay brought the daughter to England and left her in the care of William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield a relative. Since The Earl of Mansfield and his wife could not have children, they brought Belle up as their own and gave her certain privileges she would not have had. Lord Murray, as Lord Chief Justice ruled on the Zong Massacre. The officers who threw the slaves over the ship should not get a damned penny for their vile action. Many people speculated that Belle's presence in his household was the caused for him making this decision.

#13 Dec 10, 2016 2:29 am

Calypso

Calypso wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Gripe, continue to read about Mansfield here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Elizabeth_Belle

Gripe, (please drink rosewater to get rid of your gripe) Dido Elizabeth Bell ( see the movie, Belle) was the biracial daughter of Sir John Lindsay who was stationed in the West Indies. Her mother was a slave. When her mother died Lindsay brought the daughter to England and left her in the care of William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield a relative. Since The Earl of Mansfield and his wife could not have children, they brought Belle up as their own and gave her certain privileges she would not have had. Lord Murray, as Lord Chief Justice ruled on the Zong Massacre. The officers who threw the slaves over the ship should not get a damned penny for their vile action. Many people speculated that Belle's presence in his household was the caused for him making this decision.

See Belle, the movie

#14 Dec 10, 2016 3:19 pm

gripe

Thanks for the "rosewater" gripe remedy! If needed, I hope it works.

On Mansfield, that is some good information about Dido Bell's possible influence on Mansfield's decision in Gregson v. Gilbert.

You and RD are giving me some welcome history lessons! (Talkshop has its benefits, I say!)

Board footer