You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We are making the drive tomorrow

Wifey, youngest son and I are making the four hour drive to get under the path of totality for tomorrow's eclipse.  The forecast for central Missouri says partly cloudy.  We are keeping our fingers crossed.

#2 Aug 21, 2017 3:28 am

Vanni
Active

Re: We are making the drive tomorrow

Have a safe journey RD & Family, and bring back some photos?

#3 Aug 21, 2017 7:40 am

Slice
Active

Good luck.

We do not have the glasses, but here is what me mother-in-law said that can be done.  This is kinda Caribbean. To view find the sun, and place ah Wash Pan in ah area, you can see the sun, and view the eclipse from the Wash Pan, RD not sure you know what ah wash Pan is, but we folks from the Caribbean will know.

#4 Aug 21, 2017 11:55 am

New Historian
Active

Saw a total in Zimbabwe once, fascinating but over very quick, bit of a damp squib in the end. Enjoy though!

#5 Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Wifey, youngest son and I are making the four hour drive to get under the path of totality for tomorrow's eclipse.  The forecast for central Missouri says partly cloudy.  We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Went to an open area about 2:15 without welding glasses, so not prepared to view an unviewable event.
Some kid let me borrow his disposable eclipse glasses that he got from the science centre. What a spectacular sight.
"I see" said the blind man.

#6 Aug 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We drove to the eclipse site in just over four hours.  It took us six to get home.  It was like there was a zombie apocalypse in central Missouri and everyone was trying to get out.  Seriously. About 100 miles of stop and go traffic.  It was crazy.

We found a rural road and a country church in Guthrie, Missouri.  The pastor opened up so we could use the restrooms and drink from the water fountain.   There were cars in the parking lot from Missouri, Iowa, Texas, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Arkansas.  The folks from Texas said they drove eight hours.  It was like that all over as we drove through.

It was hot.  About 93F.  As it started, it began getting dim but slowly.  Until it was about 90% covered, you probably wouldn't notice.  After that, it was like you were wearing sunglasses even with none on.  It started getting cool.  It took two hours from when it began to reach totality.

Right before totality, the sun kind of looked like a diamond ring: A circle with a single bright stone.  Then it shrunk rapidly and POOF!  It was dark.  A cheer went up in the church parking lot.

In totality, you could look at it with the naked eye,  There were clouds around it but it was perfectly visible.

The sun was a gone behind the moon and all you could see was a thin circle of light with rays emanating from it in every direction.  You could barely make out the jagged edges of the moon's mountains around its edges.   Venus was suddenly visible as well as a couple of stars.

If you have never seen a total eclipse, you have never seen Venus straight up in the sky like I did today.  It it is close to the sun from earth so it is always the morning or evening star close to the horizon.  I saw it nearly straight up.  Obviously it is always there but you can't see it in the sunlight.

The temperature dropped suddenly.  I bet it dropped 15 degrees in total.  A light breeze came up as the cool air dropped from above and spread out on the earth.

It looked like sunrise or sunset to the north, south, east and west.  The shadow was on us and the sky above was black but there was light on the horizon in every direction.

The shadow was moving across the earth at 1,500 miles per hour and you could see the light coming from the west. You could sense the movement.   Then the sun peeked out from behind the moon and it was like a light switch was turned on.  The sky lit up and Venus disappeared.  And then there was light.  It was the reverse of before but it pretty quickly returned to normal.  Totality lasted just a bit more than two minutes.

It was a great experience.  I decided not to try to take photos for two reasons.  First, people with the right equipment across the nation will take far better photos than I ever could and they will be all over the net.  The other reason is that totality was short.  I decided to actually experience it rather than spend it fumbling with a camera.

I have wanted to see a total eclipse of the sun since I was a child.  Now I have.  It was a good day.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm)

#7 Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This is a Google Street Level link to the church parking lot where we witnessed the event.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7573702 … 312!8i6656

#8 Aug 22, 2017 6:49 am

Slice
Active

Me ent  see SHEET here in Baltimore County. I got so FRIGGING Upset, that I went back in me house and did not even bother come back out. My routine after I got home, is drink ah cup ah coffee and chill out for ah few minutes.  As soon as I sat down me neighbor wanted me to help him move something, and that took 15 minutes.  That just ruin my afternoon.

Thanks for sharing RD.  That Google photo is amazing, and this what I always dream about as a place to have ah house, miles of open spaces.

#9 Aug 22, 2017 11:48 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

This is a Google Street Level link to the church parking lot where we witnessed the event.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7573702 … 312!8i6656

Well, I was obviously not in the totality area, but I saw it too... and all I had to do was walk out onto the verandah.

I used a welding mask to observe it, and it started like a crescent moon, and then the Moon kinda passed over the top portion of the Sun so it was like a crescent moon on its side.

The light dropped a bit, so it was like it was around 17:30 - 18:00 and it did get a little cooler for a couple of minutes. I don't know if many people noticed.

I have been in totality previously.

#10 Aug 22, 2017 11:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It would have been 90% covered from my yard in Iowa.  We made the drive anyway.  I would say that at 90% covered, the area still was 90% and light.  Even at 99% covered, it was probably 50% as light as normal.  Only when it went total did the sky turn dark and the stars come out.  It was a great experience.

It cost me though.  Gasoline, 10 hours behind the wheel and a $210 speeding ticket from a podunk town speed trap in the Confederate leaning state of Missouri.

Still, it was something I always wanted to see and I took the 12 year old boy so he will remember it.

Board footer