You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 25, 2017 5:47 am

Expat
Active

Child abuse

Just saw Ackee's postings in the photo section, and didn't want to put a damper on what should be a thread congratulating them on their photo's and hoping they enjoyed their holiday. Which s why I have not added these comments to that thread.

BUT, and it's not anything to do with Ackee, the first photo shows a young child.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the black slippery stuff is a body paint, but it really looks like old oil.... Which is CARCINOGENIC, and the kid who's skin is more soft and vulnerable than any old hard back adult is going to be both more susceptible to the poisonous chemicals left over from old engine oil.... even new clean oil is bad for you, let alone one with 10,000 miles of combustion process.

Then, the NOISE the kid is going to have damaged hearing before it even starts using Ipods with earpieces. Sound systems in Grenada... whether on the back of a truck or riveted to the ground are played not just loud, but permanently at dangerously loud levels, and to expose a young child to it is madness.

Call me an old fart if you like, tell me it's your culture, if you really think that is an excuse, but it doesn't stop what I have written from being true.

Last edited by Expat (Aug 25, 2017 5:48 am)

#2 Aug 25, 2017 8:47 am

Slice
Active

Re: Child abuse

Nope I am not calling you an Old fart.  That is really ah great observation.  Who in their right mind will expose kinds to Old used Motor car oil?  Ah mean how can a parent object their children to such madness.  I hat Oil on my hand much less on my whole body.

But ah hate to say this, but SOME Grenadians do not think.

This a kinda off the your topic, but also ah hating seeing playing Jab with snakes.  Snakes has use in the spice and should be left alone to do their job.  Mind you at one time ah use to hunt them down and kill them.  Growing up there was no Good Snakes, they are beede to be killed.

Again Expat great observation.

#3 Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am

Real Distwalker
Active

That is used motor oil?  Oh. My. God.  That is terrible!

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health wrote:

Used gasoline engine oils are carcinogenic in mouse skin and mutagenic in Salmonella. The toxicity of fresh gasoline engine oils and that of fresh and used diesel engine oils are less well defined. The present studies examined the dermal carcinogenic potential of a series of fresh and used oils from both gasoline and diesel engines. The used oils represented a variety of operating conditions. The objective of the study was to assess the potential carcinogenic hazards associated with exposure to these materials. The majority of the used gasoline engine oils tested were carcinogenic although one oil, collected after a relatively short drainage interval, was inactive in the dermal carcinogenesis bioassay. Additionally, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) concentrations were elevated in the used oils in comparison to the fresh oils. The fresh gasoline engine oils and both the fresh and used diesel engine oil samples were noncarcinogenic, and there was little evidence of elevated PAH levels in the used diesel engine oils. The carcinogenic potency of used oils from gasoline engines was related to drainage interval, but other factors such as contribution of the fuel due to blowby and driving cycle may also have been important. The used diesel engine oils were not carcinogenic even after extended use.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Aug 25, 2017 9:12 am)

#4 Aug 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

That is used motor oil?  Oh. My. God.  That is terrible!

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health wrote:

Used gasoline engine oils are carcinogenic in mouse skin and mutagenic in Salmonella. The toxicity of fresh gasoline engine oils and that of fresh and used diesel engine oils are less well defined. The present studies examined the dermal carcinogenic potential of a series of fresh and used oils from both gasoline and diesel engines. The used oils represented a variety of operating conditions. The objective of the study was to assess the potential carcinogenic hazards associated with exposure to these materials. The majority of the used gasoline engine oils tested were carcinogenic although one oil, collected after a relatively short drainage interval, was inactive in the dermal carcinogenesis bioassay. Additionally, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) concentrations were elevated in the used oils in comparison to the fresh oils. The fresh gasoline engine oils and both the fresh and used diesel engine oil samples were noncarcinogenic, and there was little evidence of elevated PAH levels in the used diesel engine oils. The carcinogenic potency of used oils from gasoline engines was related to drainage interval, but other factors such as contribution of the fuel due to blowby and driving cycle may also have been important. The used diesel engine oils were not carcinogenic even after extended use.

Now, I find the reference to new and used diesel oils not being carcinogenic interesting.

I remember many decades ago when I worked for Londons Bus Company walking the the morning yard with pale blue white smoke as thick as tear gas everywhere..... and we were told, nope, its absolutely fine, it might cause irritation in your throat, but it is safe...... NOW, IT IS DEEMED DANGEROUS.

Board footer