You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 25, 2017 9:16 am

Slice
Active

AH WONDER, WHEN FOLKS WILL START SEEING PEOPLE FIRST AND COLOR, NEVER

Maybe I am blessed to see people first and their color never.  was I always like that? Hell no.  Experience thought me ah lessons.

We are about to hire a few folks at work in key position and folks think I am in the know, so they always comes to me first.  Here is the very first question they ask, is he or she Black or white?

So this begs another question,  how can someone who grew up in a state that is 98% white not be ah racist?

#2 Aug 25, 2017 9:27 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: AH WONDER, WHEN FOLKS WILL START SEEING PEOPLE FIRST AND COLOR, NEVER

I grew up in that state and it is easy.  There is nothing to be racist about.  Every black person I met growing up was pretty much the same as every white person.  I met them and I judged them as individuals.  There was nothing more to it than that.

I don't know what makes someone a racist but there were about 200 kids in my grade in school and about three or four were black.  I didn't judge them as black anymore than I judged redheads as readheads.  They were just kids in my class.  Period.

#3 Aug 25, 2017 10:59 am

Slice
Active

I think  this world could be a much better place, if we start seeing people first.  Leh me admit one thing, I feel much more comfortable around most Caribbean folks.  So, should I expect White folks to fell the same way and also black folks. Could that be describe as comfort or some kinda racism?

#4 Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

I think  this world could be a much better place, if we start seeing people first.  Leh me admit one thing, I feel much more comfortable around most Caribbean folks.  So, should I expect White folks to fell the same way and also black folks. Could that be describe as comfort or some kinda racism?

It's familiarity, you KNOW where most of them are coming from when they do or say things.

We can get mixed messages from people from other backgrounds.

Only the other day RD mentioned he was not happy when people diverted their gaze. Yet especially with people who have not been upwardly mobile they will tend to look away so as not to seem confrontational.

Whereas, I was taught not to divert gaze, as it makes you look weak. Different cultures and methods of behaving.

Also we take visual clues from appearance, and with no racism intended, the shape and form of some Black folks if applied to a similar positioned White person might make you assess them ..... as we ALL do automatically.... as not being too bright, and 99 times out of a hundred when dealing with a White person you would probably be right.... BUT you cannot make such an intuitive judgement as a White person looking at a Black, if you do, you are quite likely to make an incorrect judgement. Nothing to do with skin colour at all, but physical presentation.

I grew up in a very White Country where changes happened to the mix slowly, so my natural childhood cue taking was based upon interactions with White people. Had I grown up in the past few years I might well have a more flexible first impression of someone. I hasten to add having seen the error of my observations a few times, I stand ready to change my preconceived opinions.

Sometimes the guy that looks like he could hardly figure out how to strike a match has a degree in physics and could mop the floor with you in a debate.

#5 Aug 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Slice
Active

So ah have one nasty habit, if ah doh like you, I do not give you the benefit of eye to eye contact.  My eye contact are reserved for folks I like.

In a way, I doh think it is how you grew up, but your experiences when you are an adult.

#6 Aug 25, 2017 6:39 pm

houston
Active

Eye contact and open ears are pretty important factors for mutual respect and understanding.
How can you like or dislike a person without getting to know them?
Looking away and plugging your ears is certainly no way to have a judgment.

#7 Aug 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Slice
Active

i think that is what folks expect.  I try to learn folks first, by the way they talk.  I kinda listen before I make judgement.  It like the bathroom thing.  Most folks wash their hands after the use the bathroom.  I wash my hands before I use, especially if ah just pissing.

Kinda learn that from ah Older African, he said that thing is very precious, you need to wash your hands before touching it and also after you finish.

#8 Aug 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Vanni
Active

The latest when beings from another part of the universe are visiting? Hey which of the tentacles should I shake? big_smile

It's all about shifting our attention to who we really are:

are we our body, or are we the One animating it? How much more are we sharing as souls, who by nature are of no race, but universal.

And from then on, to develop unconditional love.

Also once we equally revere all Life, not just selectively.

Also when we understand that there is no such thing as a specific God from a religion, obviously waaay better than the other Gods - but a universal presence and principle which cannot be appropriated by any group.

Look then at what happens with the wars, violence, bigotry and prejudice of any kind.

How about if such civilizations actually exist in other parts of the universe, as the proof that this is attainable? I know it is so.

Last edited by Vanni (Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm)

Board footer