You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Dancer
Active

HUD ------ Is Anybody home ( Where is Ben carson )

I saw this  little piece   ------   by Alex MaCgillis  :  PROPUBLICA

Some of it......
On March 6 , Carson arrived  for his first day of work at headquarters.  In introductory remarks to assembled employees , after he'd gotten the Mic back from his wife,  he surprised many by asking them to raise their hands and take a "niceness pledge".

He also went on a riff about immigrants arriving at Ellis island, capped by this >>>>>> THAT is what America is about , a land of dreams and opportunities .
There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships , worked even longer ,harder , for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters,  grandson , granddaughter , great grand son  , great grand daughter , might pursue prosperity in the land <<<<<<<

The assembled stifled their reaction to this jarringly upbeat characterization of Chattel Slavery. BUT in HUD Baltimore office , staffed by many Africans Americans  watching the speech at on-line feeds at their desks . The gasps were audible.

#2 Aug 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: HUD ------ Is Anybody home ( Where is Ben carson )

Dancer wrote:

I saw this  little piece   ------   by Alex MaCgillis  :  PROPUBLICA

Some of it......
On March 6 , Carson arrived  for his first day of work at headquarters.  In introductory remarks to assembled employees , after he'd gotten the Mic back from his wife,  he surprised many by asking them to raise their hands and take a "niceness pledge".

He also went on a riff about immigrants arriving at Ellis island, capped by this >>>>>> THAT is what America is about , a land of dreams and opportunities .
There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships , worked even longer ,harder , for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters,  grandson , granddaughter , great grand son  , great grand daughter , might pursue prosperity in the land <<<<<<<

The assembled stifled their reaction to this jarringly upbeat characterization of Chattel Slavery. BUT in HUD Baltimore office , staffed by many Africans Americans  watching the speech at on-line feeds at their desks . The gasps were audible.

I haven't heart anything about what he has been doing in black America. Have you?

#3 Aug 27, 2017 5:23 pm

gripe
Active

Here is a link to Mr. Carson's speech with his BRAIN DEAD reference to slaves as immigrants: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/ben … peech-hud/

Confession: I admired Mr. Carson for so many years on learning of his tremendous achievements as a Black person. But, as he began to open his mouth -- carefully guarded, slow-paced speech pattern notwithstanding -- during the presidential campaign, he lost me along the way with his instances of nonsensical statements.

#4 Aug 28, 2017 11:12 am

Slice
Active

But we are.  This land do not belong to us.  We are not Indians. So is White folks.

#5 Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Garden of Eaten
Active

With direct reference to the slaves, Mr. Carson was wrong. Immigrants mean a voluntary decision to leave one's country to take up residence in another country. That is not what happened with the slaves. I should not have to explain. Note the distinction between slaves v. immigrants. For you, no explanation should be necessary on that either, although Mr. Carson may need a basic lecture on the subject.

#6 Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Slice
Active

#7 Aug 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Calypso
Active

Correction" The connotation of the  word "immigrant" means a person who migrates to a another country for opportunities. That person was not forced to go to that other country.  African slaves were captured and shackled against their will so they are not immigrants. We are immigrants because to migrated to America to seek better opportunities.  Carson is a blasted lunatic. He should have stayed in medicine. Politics is not for him!

#8 Aug 29, 2017 7:58 am

Slice
Active

Garden of Eaten wrote:

With direct reference to the slaves, Mr. Carson was wrong. Immigrants mean a voluntary decision to leave one's country to take up residence in another country. That is not what happened with the slaves. I should not have to explain. Note the distinction between slaves v. immigrants. For you, no explanation should be necessary on that either, although Mr. Carson may need a basic lecture on the subject.

Now, I do have tons of problem with Carson. According to your thinking,  he is black, and is suppose to think like MOST black folk, and if not, he is ah Uncle Tom.

Folks are different and are allowed to think their way.

Carson, did all his work in my state; so, we saw him way before the world knew about him Politically.

#9 Aug 29, 2017 8:02 am

gripe
Active

I would recommend to Mr. Carson should he return to his comfort zone of medicine, as Calypso suggested, that Mr. Carson break new ground by examining his own brain. It may need to be hot-wired.

#10 Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am

Garden of Eaten
Active

Do you realize that the criticism that Mr. Carson received for his weird classification of slaves as immigrants came from all sides, Slice? It is not a Black criticism only. That is because the understanding of the terms "immigrant" and "slave" is universal. My criticism of the speech has nothing to do with wanting every Black person to have the same position on every issue.

When you say that "Carson, did all his work in my state", are you taking for yourself some special understanding of Carson? Be careful of making that claim because some may think that you are guilty of helping to unleash on the American public a flaky, bumbling, politician who does not even know his own Black history. Can you, as a proud Baltimore, Maryland resident who "saw him before the world knew about him Politically", live with that guilt? As Calypso indicated in one of her posts, politics is not for Carson.

Board footer