You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 31, 2017 2:15 pm

gripe
Active

Chain-Smoking Kids

"Six years ago, Aldi Suganda, also known as Aldi Rizal, was a 2-year-old chain smoker addicted to cigarettes, smoking packs each day. "It was hard for me to stop," he said. "If I am not smoking, my mouth taste is sour and my head feel dizzy." The story is at this link: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/30/healt … index.html

#2 Aug 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Chain-Smoking Kids

gripe wrote:

"Six years ago, Aldi Suganda, also known as Aldi Rizal, was a 2-year-old chain smoker addicted to cigarettes, smoking packs each day. "It was hard for me to stop," he said. "If I am not smoking, my mouth taste is sour and my head feel dizzy." The story is at this link: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/30/healt … index.html

This is a wonderful article Gripe. Starting at aged two is too young. I'll tell you a story. I cant resist a good Cuban cigar. When I was young I used to visit my grandmother (my Mother's mother).  She as a farmer. She used to supplement heir income by selling cigars that she made herself. I would help her collect the leaves, dry them on zinc. The tobacco leaves with the holes in them  she'd cut  up and  used them inside the cigars. The finer leaves, she'd used as the cover for the cigars.  She would make a long rope of cigar and wrapped it around a barrel. People would buy it. I used to smoke it. I love the taste and scent. I must have been around 6 years old. I don't smoke but if a good cigar is in my reach I just can't resist it.

Those children have access to tobacco and the adults aren't stopping them. It will eventually damage their health. They are the children of peasants and no one cares!

#3 Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

gripe
Active

The problem is real and requires a lot of intervention to help those kids. They, Calypso, may not be as strong as you were to make sure that early smoking did not lead to a smoking addiction.

In reading your post, though, I got the sense that you thoroughly enjoyed being around your grandmother and her industriousness, and not so much for the chance to smoke those cigars.

#4 Sep 01, 2017 12:26 am

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

The problem is real and requires a lot of intervention to help those kids. They, Calypso, may not be as strong as you were to make sure that early smoking did not lead to a smoking addiction.

In reading your post, though, I got the sense that you thoroughly enjoyed being around your grandmother and her industriousness, and not so much for the chance to smoke those cigars.

Both. I loved smoking that cigar. I still cannot resist it if it is close to me. Perhaps if I could get my hands on it more often I couldn't resist it. Those children are addicts because smoking is addictive.

#5 Sep 01, 2017 6:51 am

Dancer
Active

Well its official .......  I always suspected Calypso  zig zags off  the rails . now we know the cause.
Early addiction to tobacco , yes cigars . (can you believe  it ?)  Home made ones , like Harriet and Amos used to make .
The next  thing she will be telling us  is  that her B'day is coming  up  to the ninety mark and she still has her corn pipe and she is so proud of herself.
What is one to do .

lol

Board footer