You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Sep 12, 2017 11:46 am

New Historian
Active

Developing Haiti's tourist industry

Haiti’s government wants to develop the country’s tourist industry; which some people see as a pipe dream, considering the overwhelming negative images that have been associated with Haiti since the earthquake. In the mind of the average tourist (i.e. rich/white); Haiti is not the first place one thinks of as a holiday destination – au contraire.

But this does not mean that Haiti has no future in tourism; it just may not be the type of future that the government has in mind. Art is one of Haiti's most famous and enduring assets, and could be used as a basis to develop the tourism industry. Culture vultures tend to be a bit tougher than your average tourist-type, and are more likely to ignore the negative stereotypes that define Haiti in the media's eye.

#2 Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Developing Haiti's tourist industry

Folks go to Jamaica and Trinidad.  These islands have huge murder rates, but the folks who visit have fun.  I think Haiti can overcome they bad wrap, but it will takes years and maybe just maybe hire the same company that tried to replace the Isle of Spice.  (lord ah hope they do dat)

I do think they can overcome their Stigma.

Board footer