You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 04, 2017 7:16 am

GMW
Active

Vegas gunman used add-on to make rifle almost automatic - NY Daily

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa … -1.3538453

Soooo It's legal to buy, sell and own automatic kits but illegal to use them?

I don't get. But I know why I don't get. And I know who does.

#2 Oct 04, 2017 9:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Vegas gunman used add-on to make rifle almost automatic - NY Daily

It is a loophole.  The bump stock doesn't make the weapon automatic.  It is still one shot per trigger pull.  It just helps you full the trigger really fast.  I suspect they will be illegal soon.

#3 Oct 04, 2017 9:24 am

New Historian
Active

But it's legal now, that's a hell of a big "loophole". What makes you so sure it will soon be illegal? None of the other atrocities has resulted in any meaningful gun control, why should this one be any different?

#4 Oct 04, 2017 9:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am not "so sure".  I said "I suspect". That isn't a phrase used by people who are "so sure".  That is a "I suspect" comment.

The main reason "I suspect" it will be made illegal is that it is a novelty device that isn't much respected by anyone who is really into shooting.  In fact, it is held in contempt. 

It causes the rifle to bounce all over the place making accuracy impossible.  It has a tendency to cause jams.  It definitely causes rifles not meant to be full-auto to quickly overheat.  Bottom line, it is a stupid gimmick novelty that would be worthless for anything other than spraying rounds into a huge target area. 

I suspect it will be made illegal because the NRA and shooters won't defend it.

#5 Oct 04, 2017 9:48 am

New Historian
Active

Excuse my British background, where we tend to break down euphemisms like "I suspect" into their real meanings. In addition to that device there are others, more efficient, that can convert semis into fully automatic, you explained them very well. This is like a Hydra, as soon as they close one loophole, others will pop up, more people will die, and the cycle continues. Closing loopholes (what a pleasant sounding euphemism for a weapon of mass destruction!) is just tinkering at the edges of the problem. But you, like the rest of your gun-addled country, just shrug and say: "It can't be done, the genie can't be put back in the bottle, no use even trying."

42 guns. The man had 42 guns. Are you jealous?

#6 Oct 04, 2017 9:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, I know.  Full confiscation of 300 million firearms is the answer. 

I suggest we do it by hiring flying monkeys to confiscate the weapons.  After all, the addition of flying monkeys to the plan doesn't make it any more unrealistic than it already is.

None of us will ever live to see mass confiscation of firearms in the US so what is the use of talking about it?

#7 Oct 04, 2017 9:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The real meaning of "I suspect" in this context is "I have an idea or impression that a future event might occur but have no certain proof."

#8 Oct 04, 2017 10:07 am

New Historian
Active

Did I ever say full confiscation of all firearms? Now who's putting words in who's mouth? How about starting with the "no-brainers": banning ALL conversion kits, banning mentally unstable people having guns, banning unregulated gun shows, banning people on the no-fly list from buying guns, or even, heaven forbid the blasphemy, not allowing a single individual to own 42 rifles? Or even your 25?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/why … ther-faqs/

Private gun owners are not restricted from selling guns at gun shows in 33 states. Buyers who purchase guns from individuals are not required to submit to the federal background checks in place for licensed dealers.

https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-show-laws-by-state-721345

#9 Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

GMW
Active

Americans....some, the real patriotic ones (and I'm being sarcastic) are just as misguidedly passionate about their guns as they are about the when-its-convenient mock idolatry towards the flag. They are more pissed about some brothers kneeling to protest hatred and bigotry than they are about this regular massacres.

I think they are willing to pay that cost.

#10 Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am

New Historian
Active

GMW wrote:

Americans....some, the real patriotic ones (and I'm being sarcastic) are just as misguidedly passionate about their guns as they are about the when-its-convenient mock idolatry towards the flag. They are more pissed about some brothers kneeling to protest hatred and bigotry than they are about this regular massacres.

I think they are willing to pay that cost.

Spot on. In which case you can say: Americans are gun-crazy. In fact you can drop the gun part: they're just crazy!!!

Board footer