You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Crossing Checkpoint Charlie

Slice wrote:

As much as ah hate Air planes, they could not pay me ten million dollars to do all that travel.  The interesting thing is my wife travels ah whole lot and most cases, ah could travel for free, but not me, I ent going.

Traveling from America to Grenada, ah have to visit me doctor for pills.

Don't be afraid of flying lol, it's the safest means of travel!

#12 Oct 13, 2017 4:33 pm

New Historian
Active

"I thought you were going to say ' the most beautiful island in the Caribbean.'
Had me confused . lol."

Well, now that you mention it lol! What makes Grenada's beauty so unique is the peace that goes with it. Jamaica and Saint Lucia are also beautiful, but you don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

#13 Oct 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Germans.  They make me nervous to this day.

Being a post war baby the effects of the war were still visible, and to be felt, also the movies atc were condioning for knowing who the enemy had been. So despite having not been anywhere neer conflict Germans and Germany are instilled into my psyche as verboten.

#14 Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm

New Historian
Active

When I was growing up the big question was: What dit YOUR dad do, during the war?

We were baby-boomers, bomb-site brats. We would play among piles of bomb-damaged buildings and rubble still scattered around London in the early sixties, rummaging through the debris, finding old newspapers and broken dolls – we'd make up stories as to what had become of their owners.

#15 Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, my dad was born in 1943 so he didn't do much.  His father, however, was killed in action by Japanese machine gun fire on the island of Okinawa in April, 1945.

#16 Oct 13, 2017 9:45 pm

New Historian
Active

And we should never forget the horrors of war. Tell that asshole in the WH

#17 Oct 14, 2017 1:55 pm

houston
Active

My dad was born in 1928, Ballymena, Northern Ireland. He was serving in the Home Guard and being prepped as a sniper when the war ended. Had the war gone on, he would have been shipped over.
Mom was born in 1938, Newtownards. Very young during the war years but she vivid memories of the dark nights in bomb shelters and the many food rations. To this day she loves her eggs.

#18 Oct 14, 2017 6:10 pm

houston
Active

Slice wrote:

As much as ah hate Air planes, they could not pay me ten million dollars to do all that travel.  The interesting thing is my wife travels ah whole lot and most cases, ah could travel for free, but not me, I ent going.

Traveling from America to Grenada, ah have to visit me doctor for pills.

The first time I went to Grenada I traveled on American Airlines which required a transfer in Miami both ways. On return we had departed Miami and just been served lunch when the pilot announced that there was a problem in the cockpit and we would be making an emergency landing in Orlando. The staff quickly came along with garbage bags to collect the lunch they had just served, so I wolfed mine down fast. A burrito I think it was.
The pilot was in a hurry to get that plane down. He circled and dropped in altitude with large steps. One minute looking out over the beaches of Atlantic Florida, the next over the beaches of the Gulf.
We landed in Orlando and waited for about an hour while the maintenance guys did their work. It wasn't until after we landed that the pilot announced that he suspected a problem with a fuel valve. Sure enough the valve was replaced and we got on our way with a revised flight plan.
While sitting on the tarmac in Orlando I was thinking about all of the PGA golfers that reside in that area. The next morning pro golfer Payne Stewart and crew departed Orlando in his Lear jet. That flight lost cabin pressure, watched on the news as it eerily flew in auto pilot before crashing in the Midwest.

#19 Yesterday 12:37 am

New Historian
Active

Hmm, all these flight stories got me thinking: Oh I've had a few of those lol! Soon come....

Board footer