You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 20, 2017 2:08 pm

New Historian
Active

I love Africa; but SOME things are just DARK!!!

This goes on all the time, albinos in Tanzania live in constant fear of being abducted and killed for their body parts. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41692944

In Zimbabwe the state-owned Herald newspaper would regularly put out stories ob a "tokolosh" being seen walking the streets of Bulawayo, and other crap.

http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc- … 04005.html

#2 Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: I love Africa; but SOME things are just DARK!!!

That is why the continent is called "Darkest Africa" because of the mindset of the people!

#3 Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Sad but too often true. When you think about it: the vast majority of Africans have had negligible or no contact with Western institutions and values. Unlike the West Indies, where we all went to schools state or church, and have been thoroughly indoctrinated with the values of western liberalism. Largely for the good, if you ask me. Which doesn't mean I'm a fan of colonialism - hell no they've got to be held accountable for their historic crimes against "our" humanity!

But seriously, the minority of middle class Africans need to stand up and be counted, and STOP this primitive shit.

#4 Oct 21, 2017 6:50 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Sad but too often true. When you think about it: the vast majority of Africans have had negligible or no contact with Western institutions and values. Unlike the West Indies, where we all went to schools state or church, and have been thoroughly indoctrinated with the values of western liberalism. Largely for the good, if you ask me. Which doesn't mean I'm a fan of colonialism - hell no they've got to be held accountable for their historic crimes against "our" humanity!

But seriously, the minority of middle class Africans need to stand up and be counted, and STOP this primitive shit.

Africa was colonized by several European countries, England , Belgium, Portugal, Holland, Germany, etc. but what was their influence they left over them? Obviously not a lot. They are a highly superstitious nation who believe that if you rape a virgin it will cure you of HIV-AIDS. some parts of Africa still kill twins at birth; not to mention female  genital mutilation. The list goes on and on. In Africa, there's a lot of people and it's hard to get to them. I have dated many African men in college. They have the mindset of baboons, even when they are educated. The way they think of women, relationships, etc. is outdated.

#5 Oct 21, 2017 2:07 pm

New Historian
Active

"They have the mindset of baboons, even when they are educated. The way they think of women, relationships, etc. is outdated."

So why you dated so many of them lol?

#6 Oct 21, 2017 2:35 pm

gripe
Active

New Historian, it is alright to identify problems on the African continent, but, why do you have to use "DARK!!!" to describe the situation? Isn't that the thinking of those who generally want to paint everything NEGATIVE by using the word that you chose and also associate BLACK people with having those particular traits? What you highlighted in the story is that there are MANY PROBLEMS in Africa. Couldn't your caption use a term, other than the word you chose?

I am also surprised that Calypso seemed to endorse the use of the word with direct application to Africans, Black folks.

In trying to help ourselves sometimes we make the situation worse. That, too, is rather sad and unfortunate!

#7 Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm

New Historian
Active

The choice of the word was deliberate, a pun? Dark as in: not seeing the light? The light of reason?

"Lighten up" dude!

#8 Oct 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

New Historian, it is alright to identify problems on the African continent, but, why do you have to use "DARK!!!" to describe the situation? Isn't that the thinking of those who generally want to paint everything NEGATIVE by using the word that you chose and also associate BLACK people with having those particular traits? What you highlighted in the story is that there are MANY PROBLEMS in Africa. Couldn't your caption use a term, other than the word you chose?

I am also surprised that Calypso seemed to endorse the use of the word with direct application to Africans, Black folks.

In trying to help ourselves sometimes we make the situation worse. That, too, is rather sad and unfortunate!

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-africa-ca … nent-43310

#9 Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm

New Historian
Active

PS: It's also literally dark:

dark_continent.jpg

#10 Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Lets not get too complacent, Grenadians at the drop of a hat will say this one do that one, and that there was a cake in the Sendall Tunnel, and Sukia abound. La Jablesse etc etc. All total Bullocks.

There is 'some' superstition stuff even in the UK, but it is dare I say a lot less ridiculous generally than the crap I hear spoken here.

Board footer