You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 25, 2017 6:15 am

Slice
Active

TODAY IN GRENADA HISTORY.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LTJEI4yeVSY" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Slice (Oct 25, 2017 6:21 am)

#2 Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am

Slice
Active

Re: TODAY IN GRENADA HISTORY.

I did not know, that America bungled this.  RD never told us they almost did not make it.  All news report said, all went rather smoothly.

#3 Oct 25, 2017 7:18 am

Slice
Active

The good ole days, I know, why I was in love with Bro Bish.

#4 Oct 25, 2017 7:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

I did not know, that America bungled this.  RD never told us they almost did not make it.  All news report said, all went rather smoothly.

You misunderstand.  I never said or implied that it almost failed.  There was never the slightest chance that it would have failed.  I said there were many mistakes, bad intelligence and more American deaths than should have been expected.  The operation, however, was never at risk of failing.

#5 Oct 25, 2017 8:20 am

Slice
Active

Failure was not an option.  I know that, ah mean while I was in Grenada, there was about 10 folks in my area with 303 rifles and maybe two was working.  This was a fight between America and Cuba.  Grenadians ran to the hills.

#6 Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

Failure was not an option.  I know that, ah mean while I was in Grenada, there was about 10 folks in my area with 303 rifles and maybe two was working.  This was a fight between America and Cuba.  Grenadians ran to the hills.

Some Grenadians fought hard.  By the middle of the second day the Cubans had all surrendered.  The PRA fought on through the third day.  Most US casualties were caused by Grenadians, not Cubans.

#7 Oct 25, 2017 9:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Cuban's queued up for their flight home...

22814092_10214508185684352_8295629968497368604_n.jpg

#8 Oct 25, 2017 10:00 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Tanteen Field and the remains of Tim Howard's and Jeb Seagle's USMC Cobra.

22555229_10203772010576297_5402350754702424267_n.jpg

Navy Cross

Awarded for actions during the Invasion of Grenada

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Captain Jeb F. Seagle, United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism while serving as an AH-IT (TOW) Cobra Attack Helicopter Pilot with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron TWO HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE (HMM-261), Twenty-Second Marine Amphibious Unit, conducting combat operations on the Island of Grenada in support of Operation URGENT FURY, on 25 October 1983. While conducting an armed reconnaissance mission in support of ground forces, Captain Seagle's aircraft was hit by multiple anti-aircraft artillery projectiles and forced down behind enemy lines. Having been knocked out by the blast, Captain Seagle regained consciousness after his fellow pilot had flown the aircraft to impact and found that his aircraft was on fire and burning out of control. As Captain Seagle exited the front cockpit of the Cobra, he saw that the other pilot had been critically wounded and remained helplessly trapped in the aircraft. With complete disregard for his own safety, Captain Seagle courageously returned to the aircraft which was now engulfed in flames and pulled him out. As unexpended ordnance began to cook off all around them, Captain Seagle carried the severely wounded pilot well clear of the danger. Now exposed to heavy enemy small arms and machinegun fire and faced with certain death or capture, Captain Seagle ignored the danger and remained to attend the wounds of the injured pilot by wrapping a tourniquet around his severely bleeding arm. Realizing that enemy soldiers were approaching, Captain Seagle fearlessly distracted them away from the helpless pilot and ultimately sacrificed his own life in an effort to buy time for the rescue helicopter to arrive. By his extraordinary courage, uncommon valor, and loyal devotion to duty in the face of danger, Captain Seagle ensured his brother-in-arms was rescued; thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

General Orders: Authority: Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals

Action Date: October 25, 1983

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipien … entid=4094

#9 Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm

New Historian
Active

I bought every book on the Revo and invasion I could find, this one by Mark Adkin is the best account of the military side  of the operation. He's at times scathing about the US military and (lack of) intelligence but overall seems balanced. I still have my copy and NO ONE can borrow it lol!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3916385-urgent-fury

#10 Oct 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have read it twice, NH.  I agree.  It is the best.

Board footer