You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 06, 2017 9:16 am

Dancer
Active

Mass killings in USA

God is sick of your thoughts and prayers.  They mean nothing .

Killings by law protectors , killing by citizens .
Freedom ?

Meaningless.

#2 Nov 06, 2017 9:48 am

Expat
Active

Re: Mass killings in USA

It is true that were guns not so easily available in the good old US of A 80 odd people would still be alive, and a couple of hundred might not be injured.

On the other side of the scales there may well be hundreds if not thousands who have been saved because either Law officials or civilians have interjected themselves into potentially violent or fatal situations. These events will probably never be picked up by the press, as a none event doesn't quite make the headlines.

It is worth a mention that the killing spree of this last deranged person was cut short by an armed citizen. More lives may have been lost were it not for him.

There are definitely two sides to the gun debate, and I think there is merit in both sides. What I as a none American strongly believe is that the Government need to grow balls and work towards limiting gun ownership. Just wanting a gun, and not having done anything illegal should not be the criteria for creating an arsenal.

As many will know I am not against gun ownership, but there needs to be more regulation. If not, despite the current 270 million in circulation at some point one Government or another will be forced to find ways to curtail the currently stupid 2nd amendment. Better to get on top of the problem before that happens, as is often the case the many will pay for the sins of the few.

The reason for the 2nd amendment has long since faded, The Red Coats are no longer coming.

#3 Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm

GMW
Active

Dancer wrote:

God is sick of your thoughts and prayers.  They mean nothing .

Killings by law protectors , killing by citizens .
Freedom ?

Meaningless.

This has become as American as apple pie. They've accepted that they can't eat their cake and still have it. The bibles and the gun met yesterday.

The church Pastor who was not there for that meeting yesterday (along with his wife) says the bible teaches to turn the other cheek. Just don't tell him about controlling those guns. He says he doesn't want to get involved with the politics. lol.

#4 Nov 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am at a loss.  Expat is correct.  Violent crime in the US has fallen dramatically over the last 25 years even as gun ownership and carry rights have expanded dramatically.

california-handgun-sales-and-violent-crime.jpg

What are you going to do anyway?  In order to seize all the guns of any type, America would have to become a totalitarian police state.  There are just too many to get.  The effect of trying would be to disarm the innocent and law abiding while leaving the criminal class armed and dangerous.

#5 Nov 06, 2017 5:11 pm

GMW
Active

Does this graph tell the real story. Does it tell that as of Las Vegas we've had 1,516 MASS shootings in 1,735 days. Distortions like yours and the NRA is while these MASS SHOOTING will continue to climb. 

But I agree with you, it's time we mind our own and "sort of" accepts. Funny, one of my co-workers acknowledged this morning that this last one has become so common place in America it's not even a big deal anymore.

When they can't even get enough politicians with balls to outlaw bump stocks, we aught to know what time it is. Just like Donald Trump is President.

#6 Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The US is a big place but violent crime has been dropping for many years.  Those are the facts straight out of the FBI.  Mass shootings are a trivial part of overall crime but get a lot of attention.   Violent crime has fallen in the US at the same time gun ownership and carry has increased.

191219.png

#7 Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm

GMW
Active

Holey Moley RD. On a day when the issue of MASS SHOOTINGS aught to be a genuine conversation to have you decide to come up with alternative evidence to prove MASS SHOOTINGS is no big deal.

Or, are you showing that is getting more prevalent? Any other argument on the subject of Mass Killing a day after what happened in that church is probably a good reason why these tragedies will continue.

Someone must be benefiting.

#8 Nov 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course mass shootings are a big deal.  It was a massacre and was pure evil.  Still, the US is a big place.   

On average, 55 people commit suicide by firearms every day.    There are about 35 firearms related homicides every single day.   

Mass shootings like that in Texas are still a very small part of the overall number killed.  Most firearms deaths are suicides.  Next is standard crime.  Mass shootings get a lot of attention but they barely move the violent crime rate at all.

#9 Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

It is true that were guns not so easily available in the good old US of A 80 odd people would still be alive, and a couple of hundred might not be injured.

On the other side of the scales there may well be hundreds if not thousands who have been saved because either Law officials or civilians have interjected themselves into potentially violent or fatal situations. These events will probably never be picked up by the press, as a none event doesn't quite make the headlines.

It is worth a mention that the killing spree of this last deranged person was cut short by an armed citizen. More lives may have been lost were it not for him.

There are definitely two sides to the gun debate, and I think there is merit in both sides. What I as a none American strongly believe is that the Government need to grow balls and work towards limiting gun ownership. Just wanting a gun, and not having done anything illegal should not be the criteria for creating an arsenal.

As many will know I am not against gun ownership, but there needs to be more regulation. If not, despite the current 270 million in circulation at some point one Government or another will be forced to find ways to curtail the currently stupid 2nd amendment. Better to get on top of the problem before that happens, as is often the case the many will pay for the sins of the few.

The reason for the 2nd amendment has long since faded, The Red Coats are no longer coming.

"80 odd people"? Why so selective? How about THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS? As for background checks, they really worked a treat in this case, didn't they?

#10 Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The Air Force says it failed to follow procedures, allowing Texas church shooter to obtain firearms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che … ae51dd7717

Board footer