You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Nov 07, 2017 8:12 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Bernard Coard's Story

Once this book comes out, I will be able to tell how truthful he was because I was there.  I can tell you right now, "thousands of soldiers" did not parachute on to Point Salinas.  Only a couple hundred.  It is pretty hard to argue it took six days to subdue the island.  All major combat ended after three days.  A odd shot here and there hardly constitutes combat.   Sheesh.

#12 Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am

Slice
Active

Seriously RD, Bernard Coard is and was the most hated man in Grenada during the revo and even now.  I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish, but Grenadians hate him.

#13 Nov 07, 2017 9:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Based on his book, I don't think he would disagree that he was and is hated.  He knew he wasn't well liked even when the Revo was going well. 

That said, he seems to believe that he had the confidence of NJM members in September and October 1983 and that the Party had lost faith in Bishop.  They thought he was a poor organizer, the puppet of Fidel Castro and that he wanted to be Maximum Leader of Grenada and undermine the collective decisionmaking of the Central Committee and the wider party.

In other words, the people who were party stalwarts generally supported Coard and the masses supported Bishop.

#14 Nov 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Slice
Active

In other words, the people who were party stalwarts generally supported Coard and the masses supported Bishop."  Maybe he was right.  That I do not know, but here is what I do know.  He did not and never got the support of Radix and Unison.  As  Dix  was the person in charge of  St Davids, we stayed in contact with Dix and not once did he and Unison disagree with Bishop.

Maybe he is talking about HA.  Strachan was already dead who else would give him their support, knowing that the people of Grenada hated his guts.

I honestly think up to this day, he Bernard was the most hated politician in Grenada ever.

He is nothing but ah ah fat piece of trash.

#15 Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is what Coard had to say about Radix...

Bernard Coard wrote:

Following on these overall conclusions, a detailed evaluation of the performance of each member of the CC was done collectively in the meeting. This had never been done before. Scores on a scale of one to five were given to each comrade with respect to eight performance areas (discipline, ideological level, work performance, relations with the masses, and so on). Based on this evaluation, Kenrick Radix and Caldwell Taylor were removed from the CC. In Radix’s case, it was much more than his political work performance. He would fly into a rage whenever anyone criticized his lack of work. He had been frequently drunk at official government receptions, causing no end of embarrassment to the Party, PRG and Revolution. His state work was also a disaster, with, at one point, all of the fishing boats provided by Cuba to his Ministry of Fisheries sinking in St George’s harbour, and the fish processing plant having to be closed, consequently, through the lack of fish to process. He was unrepentant over defying the Cabinet and the country’s budget and committing the government to unsanctioned debt. The entire Party membership, not just CC members, including his childhood friend, Maurice, was totally fed up with him. The CC, in its conclusions, stated that “his performance was exceedingly below that befitting of a CC member.”

Kenrick was furious over his removal from the Bureau and Central Committee.

Kamau (McBarnette), Fitzy (Bain), and Uni (Whiteman) were essentially told they had to substantially raise their level of work performance.

#16 Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is what he said about Uni Whiteman...

Bernard Coard wrote:

The circumstances of Unison (‘Uni’) Whiteman troubled me greatly. For most of the Revolution, I couldn’t figure out how someone who had worked so energetically to build the early NJM and to make the March 13 Revolution had become almost invisible. Unlike Kenrick and Vince, Uni had always been both a thinker and a hard worker. After the first year of the Revolution, however, Uni came to Bureau & CC meetings on most occasions unprepared. He contributed little to the discussions, and his work-performance went steadily downhill with every passing year. This was the man who, with Teddy Victor and Sebastian Thomas (‘Sambass’), had founded and led JEWEL, the forerunner, along with MAP, of the NJM. He was simultaneously an active member and leader of MAP, and, at the formation of NJM in March of 1973, he was elected Joint Leader of NJM alongside Maurice – ‘Joint Coordinating Secretaries’, as they were termed. During 1981 and 1982, however, ordinary members of the Party who had joined too late to know of his contributions in earlier years were calling him ‘deadweight’ and asking why he was a member of the Bureau and CC! This was humiliating to him and upset me, as I had great respect for Uni and his contribution to the making of the Revolution.

What was even more humiliating to Uni was the fact that issues regarding his family life and circumstances were on several occasions brought before the Bureau. There was open war between the mothers of his two sets of children. One of the women wrote frequent, embarrassingly abusive and threatening letters to the other. The latter, a Party member, kept handing over these letters to the Bureau for action, as she did not want to go to the police or retain a lawyer since this would cause open scandal for the Party and the Revolution. We in the Bureau did not see on what basis we could intervene, what precisely we could do to stop the escalating situation. Quiet words in certain ears had had no effect.

It is only with the benefit of hindsight that I realize that throughout this period Uni was deeply depressed. He was probably suffering from clinical depression. That is why he seldom spoke, he no longer cracked jokes, his appetite was substantially reduced and he sometimes came to meetings looking sleepy-eyed. His sleep was probably affected by his growing domestic crisis. There were also signs of the deterioration of his health. I had never seen Uni sick before. Being always a very private person who never talked about his personal life, it was difficult to know what if anything could be said to him. In practice, therefore, we all said nothing and hoped the problem would go away. Unfortunately, it didn’t.

#17 Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Slice
Active

Fitz or Purt, was another ASSHOLE.  He too thought he was bigger than the party.  So guess what Coard might be right Fitz was probably on his side.  See ah doh consider Fitz as ah original member, he was ah Johnny Come lately.  Yes maybe he took that ASSHOLE side.

I am also going to admit, that Bro Dix kinda lost his way, he drank ah bunch and also had ah bunch ah women, but he was still real KEWL in the eyes of Grenadians.  He was still very popular in St Davids.  Unison was from St Davids, but not as well know as Radix.  Dix, Squares and I had lots of fun campaigning in St Davids before the election.

We went to every nook and corner in the entire Parish of St Davids, and almost beat Miss Gairy, we probably beat her, but the election was stolen from us.

One never knows what happens inside, but that much ah do know, even if Coard was the PM, he would not of lasted  long, he was hated too damn much.  I also think it is fair to say, Coard caused the inside fighting in the party.  He just had to be the leader.  Bernard Coard name spelt evil all over Grenada.

That Damn Fitz, I was heading to ah meeting on the Greens.  Dix could not pick us up that morning.  Then we saw Fitzroy Bain coming and we all felt very happy.  We said we are going to get ah ride. He knew that we were attending the same meeting.    You know that bastard Fitz never gave us ah ride.  He waved and continue driving.  The car was not even his, it the CC vehicle.

#18 Nov 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

In the book, Coard says that Grenadians thought he was a communist who would take away their farms, shops and homes.  He implies that this was all part of a CIA plot against him.

He says that Maurice Bishop himself started the false rumor that he and Phyllis were planning to kill Bishop.  He says that it was Bishop's purpose to turn Grenadians against Coard and his wife so he could consolidate his power and become the dictator of Grenada.  Coard says that Bishop asked the Cuban military unit on Pt. Salines to invade Grenada, overthrow the Central Committee on his behalf.   By the time Castro was able to react, however, Bishop was already dead.

#19 Nov 08, 2017 9:25 am

Slice
Active

I think this might be correct.  One more thing RD,  the part of Dix and the CC he was also correct.  I now remember how depress Bro Dix was, when he was thrown to the wolves.  I however don't believe that was because he was  not doing his job.

In the later part of his life he became ah Basket case.  Most folks hardly remember the role Bro Dix played in the REVO.

Board footer