You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 08, 2017 10:56 am

Dancer
Active

INTERESTING facts on ERNEST HEMINGWAY

I was posting a little piece on single baby boomers  and dating (40-80 ) . Some missteps screwed it  up . Next time . Recs !

So lets talk writers  ... for now.

During his life , Ernest Hemingway  survived exposure to anthrax , malaria , skin cancer and pneumonia.
He  lived through diabetes , two plane crashes , a ruptured kidney , hepatitis , a ruptured spleen , a fractured skull , a crushed vertebra but the only thing he could not stop was himself.

Reading about him ...... I like the bloke. Lo

Some quotes of his.
There is nothing superior to your fellow man ; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards , some are strong at the broken places.
Courage is grace under pressure.
Never go on trips with someone you do not love (or like) Lo.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
I love my sleep ; my life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake you know
I never had to choose a subject - my subject rather chose me. ( I like that , resonates with moi ) lo.

I think I will spend a little time with Hemingway in the future.

New Historian  paying attention , just live in hope. lol.

#2 Nov 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: INTERESTING facts on ERNEST HEMINGWAY

Not my favorite writer.  A Farewell to Arms, The short Happy of Francis Macomber, For whom the Bell Tolls, Snows of the Kilamanjaro, etc. etc. Boring chap.

#3 Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

Not my favorite writer.  A Farewell to Arms, The short Happy of Francis Macomber, For whom the Bell Tolls, Snows of the Kilamanjaro, etc. etc. Boring chap.

Forgetting Old Man and the Sea?

#4 Nov 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Forgetting Old Man and the Sea?

I have forgotten that he wrote that. Now I like that!

#5 Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Dancer
Active

Boring Chap .  Ha.

Here is something for West Indian readers   ..... Slave culture in Jamaica and the ....

>>>>>>>    THE BOOK OF NIGHT WOMEN ....... Marlon James

The Night Women as they call themselves, have long been plotting a slave revolt , and as Lilith comes of age and reveals the extent of her power, they see her as the key to her plans.
But when she begins to understand her own feelings and desires and identity , Lilith starts to push at the edges of what is imaginable for the life of a slave woman in Jamaica , and risks becoming the conspiracy's weak link.

Knocking around at this friend's place last night , ' want a good read Dancer ?'
" I am into it now ."   Sharp !

Marlon James is a JA born writer . He has published 3 novels
John Crow's Devil 2005
Brief History of seven Killings 2014
AND .... Winner of the Booker Prize
Teaches and lives in Minnesota.

Will report after reading the whole ... thang.      ........

#6 Nov 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Boring Chap .  Ha.

Here is something for West Indian readers   ..... Slave culture in Jamaica and the ....

The Night Women as they call themselves, have long been plotting a slave revolt , and as Lilith comes of age and reveals the extent of her power, they see her as the key to her plans.
But when she begins to understand her own feelings and desires and identity , Lilith starts to push at the edges of what is imaginable for the life of a slave woman in Jamaica , and risks becoming the conspiracy's weak link.

Knocking around at this friend's place last night , ' want a good read Dancer ?'

John Crow's Devil 2005

You know I write short stories in my leisure. I've just discovered a Guyanese writer called Edgar Mittleholzer. He wrote Moring at the Office and his most famous novel is called Children of Kaywana.  I have tried to read Marlon James, The Book of Night Women but I got uninterested. He doesn't have good command of the Jamaican Patois as Louise Bennett did. Anyway, Journal of Caribbean Literature showed an interest in one of my short stories. I am waiting for the result. It would be nice if they publish me. Incidentally, I wrote one called "Love with the Calypso Cricketer," and my main character's name is "Dancer" AKA Horace Ormsby.

#7 Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm

New Historian
Active

I too couldn't get into Night Women, but A Brief History of Seven Killings - wow! A tour de force, especially to people like me who lived in Jamaica all through those turbulent 70s and 80s. It was fun slowly figuring out which "fictional" character in the book equated to which real characters in history.

Highly recommended.

#8 Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

I too couldn't get into Night Women, but A Brief History of Seven Killings - wow! A tour de force, especially to people like me who lived in Jamaica all through those turbulent 70s and 80s. It was fun slowly figuring out which "fictional" character in the book equated to which real characters in history.

Highly recommended.

I'll read it! I would like you to introduce you to a good Jamaican author.  Her name is Margaret  Cezair-Thompson.  Read A Brief History of Paradise. It's like James History of Seven Killings.  Read also The Pirate's Daughter and The making of A Pan Africanist Lawyer. She is very good.

#9 Nov 14, 2017 9:01 am

Dancer
Active

Calypso wrote:
Dancer wrote:

Boring Chap .  Ha.

John Crow's Devil 2005

You know I write short stories in my leisure. I've just discovered a Guyanese writer called Edgar Mittleholzer. He wrote Moring at the Office and his most famous novel is called Children of Kaywana.  I have tried to read Marlon James, The Book of Night Women but I got uninterested. He doesn't have good command of the Jamaican Patois as Louise Bennett did. Anyway, Journal of Caribbean Literature showed an interest in one of my short stories. I am waiting for the result. It would be nice if they publish me. Incidentally, I wrote one called "Love with the Calypso Cricketer," and my main character's name is "Dancer" AKA Horace Ormsby.

Oh , oh . That is cool.
This Dancer wishes you all the best with your short stories.
And For that sharing . Here is another 'odd' one . Remember Claude McKay. One is my real name.
Cricket eh ?
You must have read  ,  or try to read  'Beyond A Boundary'  if not shame on you. lol.

#10 Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

New Historian
Active

Calypso wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Highly recommended.

I'll read it! I would like you to introduce you to a good Jamaican author.  Her name is Margaret  Cezair-Thompson.  Read A Brief History of Paradise. It's like James History of Seven Killings.  Read also The Pirate's Daughter and The making of A Pan Africanist Lawyer. She is very good.

I know Margaret Cezair-Thompson, in fact, I know Margaret. A very accomplished author. Jamaica is alive with literary talent. And artistic talent. And musical talent. And sporting .... And ....

Board footer