You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Dec 06, 2017 10:00 pm

gripe
Active

Re: The Privy Council versus Caribbean Court of Justice

I thought that I'd responded, about 4 hours ago, to New Historian's last comment. 

Anyway, here is my response (worded a little differently from the missing original):

First, New Historian, you have ascribed to me a position that Maharaj took in his EXCELLENT article (a much more scholarly article than Ms. Rita Joseph-Olivetti's article) on the comparative efficacy of the CCJ  and the Privacy Council. Re-read what I said in the conclusion of my post where I used the Maharaj quote. You will see that I am still undecided on the issue. The Maharaj quote, however, was necessary as a counter point to the idea that Caribbean jurists can somehow be excused, if that is your intent, for favoritism because a similar system exists in England. The possibility that the favoritism problem may be more acute in the Caribbean -- a debatable matter that needs facts, admittedly -- diminishes the argument that if others act that way we can do the same.

Second, there is still time for a fuller, proper development of the Caribbean's final appellate body, the CCJ. Time will tell.

#12 Dec 07, 2017 7:55 am

New Historian
Active

Indeed: time will tell. And it it "time", for more Caribbean countries to make the plunge and join the CCJ: how will the "child" ever grow up? Besides, the Privy Council doesn't WANT us, whining colonials blocking up their calendar! Why stay in a party where they don't want you lol?

#13 Dec 07, 2017 4:46 pm

gripe
Active

I think we are agreed that we have qualified individuals to assume the mantle of dispensing proper justice to our nationals. We just need to keep biases out of the quest for justice. It could be done.

Board footer