You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: I'm too young to die!

In Jamaica I had an ex-police Triumph Trophy 650, 100 cc and one carb short of a Bonny (dammit). When I got it it was boringly bog-standard, but I soon set about correcting that. First in the bin were the standard flat handlebars, replaced with something more chopped. Not quite the Harley-style easy riders but high enough to ride upright and not crouched over the tank (i.e. pose).

Next in the bin was the quiet but oh-so-boring exhaust pipes. At first I put on a chrome 2-into-4 job, but that just made it look like an imitation Honda, so that was replaced by a made-up muffler that my man Leo put together in the welding shop. It was more megaphone than muffler. The first time I started it up I thought: shit, this thing is LOUD! If you were standing behind the bike and revved it up it would literally make your hair stand on end. Well mine anyway.

D1000017.jpg

#12 Dec 07, 2017 8:09 am

Expat
Active

I only went scooters when a youngster because that was what came my way, I had buddies with MCycles. At college a greaser friend of mine would take me out for rides at lunch time. He only had a Tiger Cub, but at that time it seemed like a beast... smile

One time we were chugging along the A4 towards London at Hammersmith back when the flyover was new. At the last moment he decided not to go down the slip, but go over.... Thanks Andy... he went over the concrete humps that divided the roads.... I nearly took off. Then there was riding through Olympia on the gas. He had REAL megaphones. I hate to think how loud it was as it reverberated behind us. Finally stupid comes to mind. We are zipping along, and out of nowhere he dips down giving me a chest full of air. Luckily Iwas able to grab him otherwise I would have been rolling along the road.

I was a born again utilitarian rider in my 30's, which ended when the bike got stolen, as were I to have replaced it it would have had to be a sports bike, and I would have either killed myself or lost my license.... I have a heavy right hand.

Only to have a second rebirth prior to coming to Grenada with Marilyn below.

694569003.jpg

Marilyn was a way to have real passenger carrying grunt without being a racer.,

But like most of this which I have said before, it was NOT a pleasure riding her in Grenada, so we had a divorce.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am)

#13 Dec 07, 2017 9:13 am

New Historian
Active

The Sportster: "the only good Harley" lol!

#14 Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

The Sportster: "the only good Harley" lol!

If I am bluntly honest, it was crap. I couldn't justify the UK price for a cruiser, and the Sporty never fitted the bill. I had to convert it to forward controls not because I was trying to create a HOG on the cheap, but because I kept on getting cramps. So I did end up with forward controls, front crash bars, high rise Bars, fogs on the forks, Bobbed back end as you can see in the photo. (The high rise bars and a couple of other things on it are not in that photo). But the ride was better as a sporty dang it.

It was too bloody heavy, and had really crap brakes even fter changing brake lines and pads etc. When I said the brakes were rubbish to the Dealer they said you use Engine braking!!!!! The original tyres were crap. so if you did get the brakes to work the inertia of all that metal made the tyres give out.

It was ridiculous that after buying it the first thing to do was to do standard changes like changing the filter arrangement, and the exhausts (a stage 1) to help it breath, and then there was the mile long thread on how to stop the air filter getting oiled up by the breather.

It was a bloody tractor with a naval engine bolted on.

Have I possibly painted a negative picture?

These were on sale last time I was in the UK, I got all misty eyed for a minute or two.

IMGA0843.jpg

Marilyn from de front.
701082202.jpg

Last edited by Expat (Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm)

Board footer