You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Christmas is at risk!

Tonight I decided to have a little toddy before bed.  I poured some egg nog in a glass and topped with an equal amount of Jameson Irish Whiskey.  Then I went to the cabinet to get a nutmeg and grinder to put some on the top.  No nutmegs!

I explained to my wife that you can't have Christmas without egg nog and you can't have egg nog without nutmeg.  She better find me some and mean whole nutmegs.  None of that pre-ground nonsense.

I will report back if Christmas need be canceled.

#2 Dec 19, 2017 7:43 am

Slice
Active

Re: Christmas is at risk!

Wait ah minute RD, what the hell you know about  Egg nog and nutmeg?  Not many Americans will agree with you, but I definitely agree with you.  Wifee won't drink it if she can't grate ah little bit ah nutmeg in it.  When it is grated right there it is sweeeeeeeeeeet.

#3 Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I know eggnog.  Hell, it's my favorite kind of nog.  I know nutmeg too.  It's my favorite kind of meg. :-)  I know it is heavenly with Irish whiskey and is about the best thing about Christmastime.

#4 Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm

gripe
Active

RD, you can go ahead with the combination that you crave for the Christmas season; I hope that you fill that nutmeg void soon.

However, when you do, please don't get too chatty like the host of the blog titled "Nutmeg And Whiskey", here: https://nutmegandwhiskey.wordpress.com/

Instead, be adventurous and use the nutmeg along the lines suggested in "Cocktails that contain Nutmeg", found at:  http://bartenderapp.com/ingredients/nut … ent?page=2 Your Options include:

(a) "Schlag-n-nog" (Scotch, Egg, Light Cream, Sugar, Nutmeg); 

(b) "Rock-and-Rye Toddy" (Rock and Rye, Water, Angostura Bitters, Lemon, Cinnamon, Nutmeg)

I suspect that (b) will be your choice since you used the word "toddy" in your opening post.

#5 Dec 19, 2017 12:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Tonight I decided to have a little toddy before bed.  I poured some egg nog in a glass and topped with an equal amount of Jameson Irish Whiskey.  Then I went to the cabinet to get a nutmeg and grinder to put some on the top.  No nutmegs!

I explained to my wife that you can't have Christmas without egg nog and you can't have egg nog without nutmeg.  She better find me some and mean whole nutmegs.  None of that pre-ground nonsense.

I will report back if Christmas need be canceled.

Unacceptable! Your wife needs an emergency course in Caribbean Christmas!

#6 Dec 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Does anyone in Grenada actually purchase nutmeg for personal use? 

Or is it like field corn in Iowa: There is always some laying around somewhere.

#7 Dec 19, 2017 9:36 pm

houston
Active

For sure a Christmas without egg nog would be like no Christmas at all. Missed it one year when the nog flew off the shelves at last minute but they seem to do a better job of stocking it up these days and it's shelf life is quite long. Of course it needs that freshly grated sprinkle of nutmeg. Have to be careful though, it tastes so good like a creamy milkshake that the rum to nog ratio tends to easily change. One of those drinks that are difficult to gage. Have never had it with whiskey but will certainly give it a try.
Mulled wine has become one of my favourites at this time of year. Smells great and tastes even better, a very nice warm drink. It sits in a pot on the stove like cider but needs to be at very minimal heat so not to evaporate that pricey red wine away.

#8 Dec 19, 2017 11:06 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Does anyone in Grenada actually purchase nutmeg for personal use? 

Or is it like field corn in Iowa: There is always some laying around somewhere.

If you live in the country you may have a few trees and therefore don't pay, but no one gives it away lol! Nah man, we buy. Well at least boojy people like me!

#9 Dec 19, 2017 11:17 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You gotta try egg nog with whiskey.  It is divine!

#10 Dec 20, 2017 12:35 am

houston
Active

This is the only recipe for mulled wine that I've ever tried, a special treat for Christmas day.

Here we go :-
2 bottles of red wine .
2 measures ( 70 ml.) brandy.
2 measures(70ml.) port .
I cup Demerara sugar ( I use less )
2 cinnamon sticks , cloves.
1 each lemon,lime and orange sliced .
Heat wine on low heat .
When simmering , add brandy, port and sugar .
Stir well and allow to return to simmering heat.
Add cinnamon sticks and fruit studded with cloves.
Keep simmering, but do not allow to come to a boil .
Good luck !

Board footer