You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 21, 2017 4:46 pm

New Historian
Active

I'm glad to say Grenada stood up to the Ugly American!

Trinidad and Jamaica though, caved in and abstained, bloody wusses!

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/j … 16873.html

#2 Dec 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I'm glad to say Grenada stood up to the Ugly American!

Frankly they should be hanging their heads in shame. Trying to use bully boy techniques to get their own way.

I think by the time Trump is out of office America will only be great in it's own eyes. It is becoming more and more redundant, and is giving it's leverage away to China, and anyone else with about two grains of intelligence to use foresight. Everything he is prepared to walk away from is fodder for those wanting to increasing their World stature.

Just as technology is making things outdated at an increasing rate, the idiocy of this Government is shrinking its imperialist clout by the nanosecond.

#3 Dec 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Why shouldn't the US embassy in Israel be in Israel's capital city?  It should be.  Congress passed a law that it should be moved there in the 1990s.

#4 Dec 21, 2017 10:24 pm

New Historian
Active

Because Israel has no right to call Jerusalem its capital, because it's crass and bullying for Trump to attempt to force US foreign policy on countries that receive US aid - as minimal as that may be. USA gives far less in aid than its OECD partners as a percentage of GDP, and way less than the average American thinks. F*ck that loathsome, bullying turd.

#5 Dec 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I didn't comment on the "bullying". 

Jerusalem is clearly the capital of Israel.   That's where its parliament is.  That's where the offices of the prime minister are.  The US places its diplomatic facilities in the capitals of nations.   I get it that Arabs don't like that Israel's capital is in Jerusalem but I have learned not to really give a damn what Arabs in the region think.

#6 Dec 22, 2017 1:25 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I didn't comment on the "bullying". 

Jerusalem is clearly the capital of Israel.   That's where its parliament is.  That's where the offices of the prime minister are.  The US places its diplomatic facilities in the capitals of nations.   I get it that Arabs don't like that Israel's capital is in Jerusalem but I have learned not to really give a damn what Arabs in the region think.

The issue is none of the business of the Caribbean region.  Let the bigwig's go at it!!

#7 Dec 22, 2017 7:37 am

New Historian
Active

None of the business of the Caribbean region? So it's none of Washington's business then either? The truth is it's all of our business, or haven't you heard of this concept capped the global village?

#8 Dec 22, 2017 9:04 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The placement of American embassies is the business of Washington.

#9 Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Expat
Active

This latest rant is not intended to be as generalising as it may sound. I know, and or know of quite a few Jewish people who do not support Israel's encroachment tactics.

The Israeli have persistently encroached illegally on what was designated Palestinian lands, and by degree they are wilfully building development after development taking lands that the UN and just about everybody says is not theirs to take. It is an insidious creep. Which because they have the backing of a Jew ridden American power base which keeps Government following the line the Israeli want they are emboldened to keep on doing it.

There is no way any neutral party could not recognise the persistent grind the Israeli have put the Palestinians through.

Every protest action... Not that I am supporting them, but I can understand the frustration that would cause the Palestinians out of sheer hopelessness to make violent statements. Just as The Jews did themselves, remember they were terrorists with Menachem Begin attacking the British.

None of it is simple, whether you go back to the Balfour Treaty, or the interventions of the British during and after the Ottoman conflict of the first World war.

What ever you want to say, the Arabs wanted to push the Isreali into the sea, and lost. They then shat on the disenfranchised Palestinians who have been left to pay the price while everyone gets on with drilling for oil.

There have been many times when the Israeli could have offered an olive branch but deliberately created a situation to whip up hostility with the Palestinians. Contrived continuation. When they were a hairs breadth away from peace a Jew killed the Jewish Prime Minister because he was going to come to an agreement.

I have watched this unfold via News outlets in the UK for many decades, where as it concerned us, and our news is generally much broader in scope than the self interested stuff American networks put out, I am pretty confident that having watched countless tit for tat hostilities with the preponderance of killing done by the Israeli to teach Johnny Palestinian not to do it again. The Israeli's in my book have been pretty despicable. Supported up to the Hilt by America.

Israeli bombings in Gaza 2014 ( if legitimate)

The Refugee camp massacres of Gaza.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/opini … sacre.html

List of massacres in Palestinian Territories
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m … erritories

Young Turks

I am a long way from saying the Palestinians have done nothing wrong, but they have been manipulated into becoming more extreme by the lack of response to their pleas so now they have HAMAS and HESBOLLAH which makes peace even harder to get.... which as far as I can see for the Hawks in Israel is the answer to their prayer to enable them to grind Palestinians into the dirt.

Always one or three Israeli killed and very over played response like the bombing of schools, or even the shelling of a beach killing 4 children. Sick.

#10 Dec 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

All I know is this, if the Palestinians got what they want, Israel would end up as Syria 2.0 

Nope.  I can't support that.

Board footer