You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Christmas Eve Morn

This is Czech Village in Cedar Rapids Iowa.  Kind of pretty, huh?

20171224_104726.jpg

#2 Dec 29, 2017 9:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Christmas Eve Morn

Pretty, in an Iowan kind of way lol. Got that t-shirt, no want no more.

#3 Dec 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yep.  Iowa.

Across the bridge is the New Bohemia neighborhood.  The church steeple barely visible is St. Wenceslas.  There are a lot of people of Czech ancestry here... including me.  This is my place in the world.

#4 Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm

New Historian
Active

"This is my place in the world"

On the one hand, I'm touched and even envious of the sentiment expressed in this statement: mankind's overarching desire, need, for the safety and surety of this thing, this idea, concept, called "home". This refuge, this rock, where, literally, "everybody knows your name".

I've never had that comfort blanket. Thus far, I've lived in 10 countries, several of them several times: I've been a rover my whole life. But, though it all and despite it all, I DO have a "home" in Grenada, albeit one that I can't claim a lifelong affinity with.

Life's rich tapestry: each to their own, one man's meat. All the best for 2018 my friend.

#5 Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, I have often been envious of your wandering lifestyle. I admire that as well.  Happy new year.  I hope it is joyous.

#6 Dec 29, 2017 11:39 pm

houston
Active

Home, the nest is just beyond the stop sign.
20171214_171845.jpg

20171214_172232.jpg

#7 Dec 30, 2017 12:07 am

Expat
Active

Well, I am happy to look at all the pictures of icicles but it will not be from choice that you ever see me ploughing my way through snow drifts.

Been there got the T shirt, and never again, unless fate has a wicked twist to the story.

Just coping with the fridged temperatures of May is a torture. How those first Immigrants to the UK coped I'll never know.

#8 Dec 30, 2017 10:16 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Let's see... I go out of my kitchen to my heated garage.  I get into my heated vehicle and turn on the heated seats.  I drive to my office and enter the heated basement parking and take the elevator to the office.  At lunch, I walk though interconnected buildings to a cafe.  In the evening, I reverse the morning process.  I no point do I get cold. 

If I do decide to go out into the winter wonderland, I dress warmly and it is no problem.

#9 Dec 30, 2017 10:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I once had a young man from tropical India working in my company.  We had a brutal cold snap once and I asked him how he was dealing with it.  He said that he never felt such cold but it wasn't bad.  He said he had a heated apartment, heated car and heated workplace so he was never cold long. 

In fact, he said he was often much colder in India.  He said that in the winter nights would sometimes get down to 10 degrees C and his house had no heat.  He said he was very cold and shivering when that would happen and didn't really have the right clothing or blankets.   In that way, he said, he was often colder in India than in Iowa.

#10 Dec 30, 2017 10:38 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Nice nest Houston.  Pretty.

I will be sick and tired of the cold by the first of March but then I am sick and tired of the heat by October first each year.

Board footer