You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Expat
Active

We owe so much to Gays

Yet they are persecuted, shunned, imprisoned and worse.

The stimulus for this comment has been watching a film about Alan Turing, a British Mathematician, and so much more.

He developed the early computer that enabled the cracking of the German war messages. It is thought his intervention shortened the war by 2 years, and maybe saved 14 million lives.

Yet he was charged with gross indecency, and chemically castrated in the early 50's, causing him to commit suicide. I have to add an addendum to that statement, it is possible that the cyanide poisoning he died from may have been the result of inhaling fumes from a gold plating process, but that is not the coroners decision.

There have been countless individuals, from Famous warriors in history, through fantastic artists of the renaissance, and all kinds of influential positions, or people creating wonderful music etc etc.

Yet although the climate is improving in certain countries there are so many countries where they will be vilified. Isn't homosexuality illegal in Grenada still?

I can't say I like overt behaviour in public, but then it is often a form of protest such as many other groups might do.

Regardless, it is time for live and let live.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 12, 2018 9:40 pm)

#2 Jan 14, 2018 6:28 am

Calypso
Active

Re: We owe so much to Gays

Expat wrote:

The stimulus for this comment has been watching a film about Alan Turing, a British Mathematician, and so much more.

He developed the early computer that enabled the cracking of the German war messages. It is thought his intervention shortened the war by 2 years, and maybe saved 14 million lives.

Yet he was charged with gross indecency, and chemically castrated in the early 50's, causing him to commit suicide. I have to add an addendum to that statement, it is possible that the cyanide poisoning he died from may have been the result of inhaling fumes from a gold plating process, but that is not the coroners decision.

There have been countless individuals, from Famous warriors in history, through fantastic artists of the renaissance, and all kinds of influential positions, or people creating wonderful music etc etc.
Yet although the climate is improving in certain countries there are so many countries where they will be vilified. Isn't homosexuality illegal in Grenada still?
I can't say I like overt behaviour in public, but then it is often a form of protest such as many other groups might do.

I did see a movie about the life of Alan Turning starring Derek Jacoby. Jacoby is gay himself.  I think he killed himself in the end. What a tragedy. Elton John, who I think is a genius, revealed that one of his lovers killed himself because he could reconcile his homosexuality with his believe in God. Sexuality is very complex.

#3 Jan 14, 2018 9:07 am

New Historian
Active

The story is that Turing killed himself by eating an apple he'd poisoned, and that the Apple logo was based on that event.

#4 Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

The story is that Turing killed himself by eating an apple he'd poisoned, and that the Apple logo was based on that event.

Thats  a story, but it is disputed, as Turing often ate apples before going to sleep, and frequently only partially ate them, just as the one found..... which was not tested for poison. And as I stated he had this Gold plating set up which uses a cyanide compound, and another view is he inhaled fumes from the device.

#5 Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Dancer
Active

Expat wrote:

' We owe so much to Gays '

'Gays' are not from a different planet , Gays are us.
Humans !!!

.... NOW !  we owe so much to black people... ' I could go for that. lol.

Board footer