You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Is Grenada’s iconic nutmeg production now in Russian hands?

Caribbean News Now! wrote:

ST GEORGE’S, Grenada — Hard on the heels of predictions of a Chinese takeover of Grenada if the Grenadian government adopts a multibillion dollar Chinese development blueprint, comes a new report suggesting that the promotion, export and exploitation of Grenada’s iconic nutmeg production may now be in Russian hands.

Russian firms directly involved in this apparent takeover of the Spice Isle’s eponymous industry have been linked directly to Grenada’s “ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary” to Russia, Oleg Pavlovich Firer, and his company Star Capital, of which Firer is the managing partner and chairman, with Star Capital having additional interests in subordinate businesses.

Star Capital has its headquarters in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and also has offices in Moscow.

Firer is also associated with My Caribbean trade centre, which is said to have been established to promote bilateral trade between the Caribbean, Russian and Eurasian markets, and also has offices in Moscow.

http://wp.caribbeannewsnow.com/2018/01/ … ian-hands/

#2 Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Is Grenada’s iconic nutmeg production now in Russian hands?

RD, that is some development and will be even more disturbing if proven to be true. The results of the upcoming elections could be pivotal in what happens both with Grenada's nutmeg and the Chinese interests regarding the direction and type of development for Grenada.

#3 Feb 07, 2018 7:41 am

Slice
Active

You know for more than 30 years, I have always heard, that Russia bought all Grenada nutmeg and resells it to other country; so I think that is kinda old news.  Not sure if that was the case then, but it now seems there are truth to that very old story.

#4 Feb 07, 2018 9:28 pm

gripe
Active

Slice, the "more than 30 years" story that you heard about was addressed in an article titled "NUTMEG DIPLOMACY IN GRENADA: THE AFTERMATH OF INVASION" found at this link:  http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/22/busin … wanted=all

Significant in that article are the following statements:

"The spice is Grenada's second-biggest export, after cocoa, and when the Marines swept onto the island last October, they not only ousted Grenada's Marxist Government but also eliminated the principal buyers of its nutmeg - the Russians.

During the four-and-a-half year rule of Maurice Bishop's Government, the Soviet Union had stepped up its purchases of nutmeg from Grenada, and in 1982 the Russians signed a five-year contract raising purchases to 500 metric tons of nutmeg a year, or about one-fourth of the country's production.

Encouraged by this contract, the tiny island with a population of less than 100,000 began turning out more nutmeg than ever, and negotiating more direct-sale agreements with other Eastern Bloc countries to supplement its sales to the West. After the American invasion Oct. 25, the Grenadians obediently closed the Soviet Embassy and sent the Russians on the island packing. To nobody's surprise, the buyers from Moscow have not been heard from since."

Given RD's post, however, the following sentence from the above excerpts -- "To nobody's surprise, the buyers from Moscow have not been heard from since." -- is not quite accurate.

Times do change; events run along cycles at times.

Last edited by gripe (Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm)

#5 Feb 09, 2018 6:06 am

Vanni
Active

This is all about the question of the more vulnerable communities, who are being taken over by the more powerful ones. Regardless of where they are from.

As far as I've come to understand: we have to work as a global community. And this has vast implications, for which each individual must be willing. And from which we all will immensely profit. No, it won't remove any freedom - if at all, it will give further.

We have so much to gain from allowing the sense of respect of integrity and the sense of caring. This is, as far as I can see it, where we're going to. It is spiritually inspired.

May Grenada and the West Indies - and further any place in the world - find true friends who care and who support development and the dignity of their citizens.

Last edited by Vanni (Feb 09, 2018 6:06 am)

#6 Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am

Dancer
Active

Vanni wrote:

This is all about the question of the more vulnerable communities, who are being taken over by the more powerful ones. Regardless of where they are from.

As far as I've come to understand: we have to work as a global community. And this has vast implications, for which each individual must be willing. And from which we all will immensely profit. No, it won't remove any freedom - if at all, it will give further.

We have so much to gain from allowing the sense of respect of integrity and the sense of caring. This is, as far as I can see it, where we're going to. It is spiritually inspired.

May Grenada and the West Indies - and further any place in the world - find true friends who care and who support development and the dignity of their citizens.

"""  we have to work as a global community  """"  all the time  ?

#7 Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am

Vanni
Active

Yes, Dancer I think so, acting like a brotherhood - is there something I'm missing in your opinion?

#8 Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am

Calypso
Active

Vanni wrote:

Yes, Dancer I think so, acting like a brotherhood - is there something I'm missing in your opinion?

But commerce has never been about "brotherhood," it's always been about domination, monopoly and competition. Dancer, and Vanni you live in a " puppy dog world." I don't mind making deals with developed nations but the dependent nations must have something to show for it.

#9 Feb 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Dancer
Active

Vanni wrote:

" You sure are,  Vanni  ..... I am confused .

Your first sentence was clear , then you seem to go murky , Calypso called it 'goofy thinking ' or something like that , accusing me  holding your hand . But her point is taken .

I was thinking , ' who wants all of that sameness .
Boring ....
... stopping adventure, innovation ...

Brotherhood ! lol.
I saw  this movie called the 'Brotherhood'
A secret 'society' , trying to control , by any means nessesary  'from the dark side.
so Brotherhood eh ? lol.

#10 Feb 10, 2018 8:14 am

Slice
Active

gripe, but here is the thing, I thought I heard Russia was buying all Grenada nutmeg even before the revo.

Board footer