You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Feb 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

English Sports

Seems about right...

#2 Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

Slice
Active

Re: English Sports

What the hell.

#3 Feb 13, 2018 9:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It makes as much sense as cricket.

#4 Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am

New Historian
Active

THIS is the future of cricket, love 20-20!

#5 Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The Fanny Barks Knickerbockers lead by two wiliths and a high droop after just four plumptons of play.  The players take the lawn and the curry mallet is tossed to second shoddy!  Well done lads!

#6 Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The Fanny Barks Knickerbockers lead by two wiliths and a high droop after just four plumptons of play.  The players take the lawn and the curry mallet is tossed to second shoddy!  Well done lads!

The temerity of the man. Coming from a country where they take a man's game... Rugby where they might put some tape around their ears to reduce cauliflower ears and a box to save their undercarriage, call it football and then cover almost every inch of the player in armour plating and run up and down with the ball in their hands doing insane things like tackling the player by the neck.

PS both footah, and ruggah were defined and regulated from similar roots around 200 years ago, and footah WAS called soccer/football in the UK up until the 80's when the Yanks got their hands on it at which point we stopped calling it soccer, which was derived from the name association football, and generally now only call it football.

Despite claiming to have an IQ of 2 million, you still can't fathom out a game a 5 year old with no shoes and little education (cos he's still young) can manage up in some back road in the West Indies. It is not just a run and charge game, there are and can be tactics which will include playing slow, and deceiving the opponent as to your intentions. Once you have them on a sticky wicket you let em 'ave it.

PS. What was it, too quiet on the board RD?

Last edited by Expat (Feb 13, 2018 12:43 pm)

#7 Feb 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

And now for a little cheese rolling.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't understand American sports either.

#8 Feb 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Expat
Active

Oh maaaaaan, you haven't found the mud wallowing clip. Not a sport, but check out the morris dancers.

#9 Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm

gripe
Active

The following comments after the video may help (concentrate on the first one):

1. "A sketch from the Dutch, absurdist satirical program Jiskefet (1990-2005) spoofing neigh incomprehensible English sports."
2. "I first watched this video under the title What playing cricket looks like to Americans & it was funny as hell as from a Cricketing point of view."
3. "My husband actually took upon himself to learn the rules to cricket so he could talk with his Indian coworkers about it. So, don't worry, at least one American knows the rules of cricket."

Last edited by gripe (Feb 14, 2018 3:53 pm)

#10 Feb 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I would also like to point out that this is the most English looking man I have ever seen. smile

english.jpg

Board footer