You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

New Historian
Active

I suppose "bombs don't kill people"...

People with bombs do:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43470397

But surely the answer to bombs is more bombs? Everyone should have a bomb, the good bombers could bomb the bad bombers, right?

I'll bet my little finger this guy's some ex-army demolitions expert with PTSD, who's just seen - and done - too much.

#2 Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: I suppose "bombs don't kill people"...

Are you going to eliminate matches?  Match heads can make bombs.    Bombs can be made out of all kinds of household goods.  I could walk into any hardware store and walk out with the parts for an improvised explosive device.  How much stuff do you want to take away from the people in pursuit of perfect safety?  Take away fertilizer? Swimming pool chemicals? Household cleaners?  Plumbing materials?

As for the ex-army angle... He is reminiscent of the Unibomber who, as you recall, wasn't military.  He was a radical leftist and environmentalist who never served in the military.

#3 Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course with black powder, bombs are easy to make. 

I suppose you would even eliminate the availability of black powder for muzzle loading guns using 17th century tech.  A lot of people hunt with one shot, muzzle loading primitive firearms.

I know, "nobody needs a gun that requires you to pour powder down the barrel, drop in a lead ball, tamp it down with wadding and put a percussion cap on the hammer to fire it a single time in a massive cloud of blue smoke."

p1418847285.jpg

#4 Mar 20, 2018 12:09 pm

New Historian
Active

"How much stuff do you want to take away from the people in pursuit of perfect safety?"

Oh notalot, just yoyur every day weapons of mass destruction. I know, that's a gross infringement on your precious civil liberties, but hey, something's gotta give, to save the lives of more kids, eh.

#5 Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Are muzzleloaders an "everyday weapon of mass destruction"?   I ask because they use black powder and black powder can be used to make bombs.

In case you don't know the process, to load a muzzleloader, you pour black powder down the barrel, put a lead ball in and press it down with the ramrod and then add a piece of wadding and ram it down.  Then you put a tiny percussion cap on the anvil where the hammer can strike it.  It takes a good minute to load for one shot.  Then it isn't very accurate. 

Are you okay with civilian ownership of muzzleloaders?

13751934_1.jpg?v=8CF483FFD4A3E10

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Mar 20, 2018 5:35 pm)

#6 Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The part that burns on sparklers can be used to make a hell of a bomb.  Are you okay with civilian ownership of sparklers?

6695.jpg

#7 Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Don't even get me started with the bomb that could be made from model rocket engines!

est1672.jpg

#8 Mar 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There is enough material in this case of matches to make a bomb as powerful as a hand grenade.  Is this an "everyday weapon of mass destruction"?

Bulk-safety-wooden-matches-from-India.jpg_350x350.jpg

#9 Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm

New Historian
Active

I'm normally a polite fella, but shut the hell up RD! Your callous disregard for the innocent victims of America's gun addiction is getting a little sick now. Yes you can make jokes about killer sparklers and lawn mowers, why don't you tell those "funny" comparisons to the families of the latest mass shooting in Amerika? I'm sure they might need a bit of your "black humour" (pun intended).

#10 Mar 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This thread is about bombs, not guns.  Check the subject line.  Furthermore, I was being serious.  All of the items I listed can be used to make powerful bombs.  Is your solution to ban these items?

Board footer