You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Mar 26, 2018 6:43 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer, Arlington Place is No Longer Affordaable to Blacks

#2 Mar 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Dancer, Arlington Place is No Longer Affordaable to Blacks

Nice property.

I guess the other side of that is if Blacks own other properties there, then THEY will make a lot of money?

#3 Mar 27, 2018 4:49 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

Nice property.

I guess the other side of that is if Blacks own other properties there, then THEY will make a lot of money?

That's not the point. Blacks did own those properties at one time when it was the "ghetto." Many sold their houses when the whites offered to buy them. Many moved to the south or to other states. If they'd stayed, they would have struggled paying the property taxes. The influx of whites increased the house value. If a black family sold one of those houses for a million dollars. Now its worth three million. Economically blacks are strapped

#4 Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

Dancer
Active

Seeing those photos triggered a whole lot of reminiscing . I had not thought of that short street 'Arlington place ' for years.
I must look for some old text book or letter to remind me of the street number of the Brownstone where I lived. The owner of the house was an old lady from the Island , her name is trying to surface after all these years .
....... I would walk up those front steps and my room was on the 1st floor (huge)  the one with the bay windows . I did/do have a photo  of a girl friend visiting from Montreal sitting in one of the windows , must look for that also.
.. The  beautiful photo of the stairs looks like yesterday.
There was another Brownstone off Troop Ave and another one off Jefferson Ave that I was quite familiar with as  they were all owned by people from the Island. Those people had immigrated from the island in the twenties , thirties , forties .
I can see the little back yards did not get any bigger. lo.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Calypso.

..... Hello !!!! Now , I do remember that front room very  well . Lol.

Happy Easter - - Have an egg.

#5 Mar 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Nice property.

That's not the point. Blacks did own those properties at one time when it was the "ghetto." Many sold their houses when the whites offered to buy them. Many moved to the south or to other states. If they'd stayed, they would have struggled paying the property taxes. The influx of whites increased the house value. If a black family sold one of those houses for a million dollars. Now its worth three million. Economically blacks are strapped

Damn those blasted whites the frck everything don't they.

They should have left the place stink and nasty and kept the property values down.

What a bellyaching load of bullcrap.

Regeneration happens all over the place.

Where I grew up the properties were classed as labourers cottages when they were built at the beginning of the last century. They had no inside toilets or bathroom. One down the road I recall actually had a well under the stairs. Had my father not been too old to buy at the time we could have had the whole house we rented part of for £800. A good friend died a couple of years back, and their house was sold for just short of a Million, and having been modernised from the 1960's condition it was in it is now worth well over that. Some call it progress, others oppression of Blacks.

#6 Mar 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Nice property.

They should have left the place stink and nasty and kept the property values down.

Where I grew up the properties were classed as labourers cottages when they were built at the beginning of the last century. They had no inside toilets or bathroom. One down the road I recall actually had a well under the stairs. Had my father not been too old to buy at the time we could have had the whole house we rented part of for £800. A good friend died a couple of years back, and their house was sold for just short of a Million, and having been modernised from the 1960's condition it was in it is now worth well over that. Some call it progress, others oppression of Blacks.

Why the blasted sarcasm, Expat. Gentrification makes the property value goes up. The neighborhood sure looks better BUT MINORITIES ARE NOT A PART OF IT,  or a large percentage of them have to move.

#7 Mar 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Why the blasted sarcasm, Expat. Gentrification makes the property value goes up. The neighborhood sure looks better BUT MINORITIES ARE NOT A PART OF IT,  or a large percentage of them have to move.

One "sarcastic" line followed by a long illustration of the same events happening elsewhere. What do you think happened in all those other areas when they became upwardly mobile? Maybe it was different because the majority of the people were the same colour as the incomers? There was NO difference. Simply, YOU can identify the supposed cause of the problem Whites. What is really the problem is more wealthy people (colour is immaterial) taking advantage of lower property prices and seeing a potential the previous residents either did not, or could not take advantage of.

The same thing happens the other way. In London in the "earlies" Blacks moved... or were encouraged to move into some run down areas where prices were already low. This was areas like Brixton, which had their hey day, and had fallen on hard times, but are now "regenerating" which will mean those who bought, and I am pretty sure there will have been a lot will be sitting on a golden egg. But there was a population movement which HURT the local economy initially, and that was when high numbers of Asians moved into areas like Southall. There was white flight, and prices dropped like a stone. Imagine how the home owners felt who lived there all their lives.

I am encourage to recognise my observations are not bigoted from a long conversation by chance with a man in KFC the other day who was in the UK in the earlies as a 4 year old who grew up in Northern England who was almost talking in lockstep with me about how things were, and how they have changed. Using exactly the same comment..... England is not the England it used to be, and I know many Blacks who now say exactly the same things about the latest wave of immigrants as the "English" used to say back in the day. When you are the latest wave you do not see what the previous people have lost and may view through rose coloured spectacles. In time the new wave becomes the old wave.

Last edited by Expat (Mar 28, 2018 8:02 pm)

#8 Mar 29, 2018 12:45 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

One "sarcastic" line followed by a long illustration of the same events happening elsewhere. What do you think happened in all those other areas when they became upwardly mobile? Maybe it was different because the majority of the people were the same colour as the incomers? There was NO difference. Simply, YOU can identify the supposed cause of the problem Whites. What is really the problem is more wealthy people (colour is immaterial) taking advantage of lower property prices and seeing a potential the previous residents either did not, or could not take advantage of.

The same thing happens the other way. In London in the "earlies" Blacks moved... or were encouraged to move into some run down areas where prices were already low. This was areas like Brixton, which had their hey day, and had fallen on hard times, but are now "regenerating" which will mean those who bought, and I am pretty sure there will have been a lot will be sitting on a golden egg. But there was a population movement which HURT the local economy initially, and that was when high numbers of Asians moved into areas like Southall. There was white flight, and prices dropped like a stone. Imagine how the home owners felt who lived there all their lives.

I am encourage to recognise my observations are not bigoted from a long conversation by chance with a man in KFC the other day who was in the UK in the earlies as a 4 year old who grew up in Northern England who was almost talking in lockstep with me about how things were, and how they have changed. Using exactly the same comment..... England is not the England it used to be, and I know many Blacks who now say exactly the same things about the latest wave of immigrants as the "English" used to say back in the day. When you are the latest wave you do not see what the previous people have lost and may view through rose coloured spectacles. In time the new wave becomes the old wave.

Your point is clearly seen, but once again, when peoples are relocated from areas that have the possibility of making wealth, it's not a good thing!!

#9 Mar 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Your point is clearly seen, but once again, when peoples are relocated from areas that have the possibility of making wealth, it's not a good thing!!

But they had exactly the same choices to make as everyone else, those that could buy into the area and saw an opportunity did. Those that could not afford as you say the higher running costs moved out. Those that could hold on longer did, and made more money as a result. Simple fact, even if I cashed in my properties now, I could not buy my way back into the house I grew up in despite having made a pretty decent fist of earning a living above the average. Yet a factory labourer bought it when I was doing that growing up. I should have studied harder, become a Doctor or a Lawyer like many of the new residents of my old street, and then I could have done better for myself. That's life. Now I have to endure the blazing Sun and hardships of living in Grenada. Lifes a beatch.

Funny enough, I found out recently, I could easily buy the house I was born in, which was big with land etc, and was Banker grade back in the day, but the reason is Location, location, location. As even though it is still all the things it was before, and would be prime for that area, it is also not in London, so is not so expensive, as people out there do not earn so much... It's the same story all over.

The people you talk of are just pawns, not victims, any more than I am.

#10 Mar 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

But they had exactly the same choices to make as everyone else, those that could buy into the area and saw an opportunity did. Those that could not afford as you say the higher running costs moved out. Those that could hold on longer did, and made more money as a result. Simple fact, even if I cashed in my properties now, I could not buy my way back into the house I grew up in despite having made a pretty decent fist of earning a living above the average. Yet a factory labourer bought it when I was doing that growing up. I should have studied harder, become a Doctor or a Lawyer like many of the new residents of my old street, and then I could have done better for myself. That's life. Now I have to endure the blazing Sun and hardships of living in Grenada. Lifes a beatch.

Funny enough, I found out recently, I could easily buy the house I was born in, which was big with land etc, and was Banker grade back in the day, but the reason is Location, location, location. As even though it is still all the things it was before, and would be prime for that area, it is also not in London, so is not so expensive, as people out there do not earn so much... It's the same story all over.

The people you talk of are just pawns, not victims, any more than I am.

The city is rather desirable: NY, London, Paris, Madrid! It's about nightlife and entertainment. Everyone wants a piece of it!

Board footer