You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Apr 04, 2018 12:00 am

Calypso
Active

Mama Africa (Winnie Mandela) is Dead!

Why did the death of this wonderful woman went unnoticed on TS? Vanni, Gripe, Dancer, New Historian and the rest of the intelligent minds?  Was it because she emerged from the shadow of her illustrious husband, Nelson? Ms. Winnie Mandel died yesterday and you didn't take note.  She continued the legacy of her husband 'ranking style'; she did it her way-- alleged reports claimed that she ordered killings, violence, etc.  against anyone who usurped her authority.  She was not only physically beautiful but had a delightful soul as well. 'Mama Africa' is dead and you did not cry!

#2 Apr 04, 2018 7:43 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Mama Africa (Winnie Mandela) is Dead!

' Ladies first ' I thought.

RIP Winnie.
What can on say about an unforgettable  Anti-Apartheid activist - - ' Peace ' .

...... and in song
Taj Mahal 'lament' playing Marley's Slave Driver.

#3 Apr 04, 2018 8:37 am

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

' Ladies first ' I thought.

RIP Winnie.
What can on say about an unforgettable  Anti-Apartheid activist - - ' Peace ' .

...... and in song
Taj Mahal 'lament' playing Marley's Slave Driver.

Winnie reacted to the aftermath of Apartheid just like the second stanza of the song brought out. The aftermath of Apartheid and slavery was to stagnate a race and to keep them in poverty forever!

oh-ooh-oo-ooh. Oo-oo-ooh! Oo-oo-ooh.
Slave driver, the table is turn; (catch a fire)
Catch a fire, so you can get burn, now. (catch a fire)
Slave driver, the table is turn; (catch a fire)
Catch a fire: gonna get burn. (catch a fire) Wo, now!
Ev'rytime I hear the crack of a whip,
My blood runs cold.
I remember on the slave ship,
How they brutalize the very souls.
Today they say that we are free,
Only to be chained in poverty.
Good God, I think it's illiteracy;
It's only a machine that makes money.
Slave driver, the table is turn, y'all. Ooh-ooh-oo-ooh.
Related

MetroLyrics

#4 Apr 04, 2018 3:00 pm

gripe
Active

Thanks, Calypso, for posting the passing of the "Mother of the Nation", Winnie Mandela.

The BBC's coverage about Ms. Mandela's passing is a great resource about her life. Here is an excerpt:

"It was Mrs Madikizela-Mandela who took his [Mr. Mandela's] baton after he was jailed for life, becoming an international symbol of resistance to apartheid. She too was jailed for her role in the fight for justice and equality.

To her supporters, she became known affectionately as "Mother of the Nation".' Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43621112

Mrs. Mandela certainly made her contributions to South Africa (and the world) in very profound ways, even during those obviously trying, solitary years while Mr. Mandela was imprisoned. As with all human beings, Mrs. Mandela was not perfect. To many, however, her greater good will dwarf those less favorable to which Mrs. Mandela was tagged. How else should women and men be judged, at least by their fellow mortals?

#5 Apr 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

Thanks, Calypso, for posting the passing of the "Mother of the Nation", Winnie Mandela.

The BBC's coverage about Ms. Mandela's passing is a great resource about her life. Here is an excerpt:

"It was Mrs Madikizela-Mandela who took his [Mr. Mandela's] baton after he was jailed for life, becoming an international symbol of resistance to apartheid. She too was jailed for her role in the fight for justice and equality.

To her supporters, she became known affectionately as "Mother of the Nation".' Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43621112

Mrs. Mandela certainly made her contributions to South Africa (and the world) in very profound ways, even during those obviously trying, solitary years while Mr. Mandela was imprisoned. As with all human beings, Mrs. Mandela was not perfect. To many, however, her greater good will dwarf those less favorable to which Mrs. Mandela was tagged. How else should women and men be judged, at least by their fellow mortals?

Winnie was blatant in her anti-apartheid speeches. She believed in violence as a mean to end apartheid. 5 millions whites should not dictate that blacks should be servants to them. She was indeed a force in South Africa and the world. When Nelson died, you guys on Talkshop made his death a big deal. Without Winnie there wouldn't be a Nelson. Always remember that!!

#6 Apr 04, 2018 4:15 pm

New Historian
Active

Winnie was an extremely divisive figure: you either loved or hated her, no middle ground! Yes she had rough edges, yes she was engaged in some very brutal and questionable acts (e.g. Stompie). But, people: IT WAS A TIME OF WAR. The first casualty of war is not truth, it's rights. When the ANC top brass were locked up or fled overseas it was Winnie who kept the torch burning, Winnie who stood up to the abuse of the apartheid regime, Winnie who paid the price. Throughout all my time in Africa I came across very few blacks who hated her, and very few whites who didn't.

RIP Winnie, you deserve it.

#7 Apr 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Dancer
Active

Calypso wrote:
gripe wrote:

Winnie was blatant in her anti-apartheid speeches. She believed in violence as a mean to end apartheid. 5 millions whites should not dictate that blacks should be servants to them. She was indeed a force in South Africa and the world. When Nelson died, you guys on Talkshop made his death a big deal. Without Winnie there wouldn't be a Nelson. Always remember that!!

Oh please . I am sure most black people all over the world , would pause at the mention of ' Winnie Mandela's death .....   and with some type of admiration .
So enjoy the Easter/spring and quit the  hate -blame- game.

#8 Apr 05, 2018 8:17 am

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

Gripe, I did not feel that I should have posted the link first. Its as if the lady did not live and  hadn't contributed anything to her society.  When the white government instigated black on black violence to destabilize the black community, Winnie got the blame. When her bodyguard killed Stompie Seipi, she got the blame. She got the blame for killing an Indian doctor and the ANC's military officer. Winnie was vocal and took a stance just like the white racists in the south: NO NI66ERS ALLOWED"  She never professed to be a pacifist and taking the back seat to the whites. South Africa was HER country first and foremost and she didn't see why she should be a second class citizen.  I hope as the years go by monuments will be instigated in her honor for she should not be forgotten.
S

#9 Apr 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Dancer
Active

Calypso , Winnie is an Icon in Black Women Groups and associations .
I had first hand knowledge. lol.
I am pretty  sure there will be plenty Tributes and events  scattered among many north American  cities to honor  your Winnie  ,  before and after her burial  .
Ok , cool by me . lol

But Winnie was also a beacon in the Women's Liberation Movement . ....... (pretty sure)

..... A little query for yuh .

Do you expect  any prominent members of the Women's Liberation Movement  to attend her funeral ?
Just asking ?

#10 Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Calypso , Winnie is an Icon in Black Women Groups and associations .
I had first hand knowledge. lol.
I am pretty  sure there will be plenty Tributes and events  scattered among many north American  cities to honor  your Winnie  ,  before and after her burial  .
Ok , cool by me . lol

But Winnie was also a beacon in the Women's Liberation Movement . ....... (pretty sure)

..... A little query for yuh .

Do you expect  any prominent members of the Women's Liberation Movement  to attend her funeral ?
Just asking ?

Why the sarcasm, Dancer? I do expect you to be there in your high heels, silk stocking and a Johnathon Martin silk dress as a representative for the Women's Liberation!

Board footer