You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am

gripe
Active

A Lawyer You Say?

This post is inspired by Calypso's comment that "I DON'T LIKE LAWYERS!!The have clone personalities: manipulative, duplicitous and crookish  l They live the law, feel the law and drink the law." See her thread "Russians on Talkshop" found here: http://spiceislandertalkshop.com/oldtal … hp?id=1734

Calypso, without suggesting any connection to lawyers and the profession, permit me to offer the below thoughts and statements about lawyers:

A LAWYER YOU SAY?

1. "I do not care to speak ill of any man behing his back, but I believe the gentleman is an attorney." (Samuel Johnson)
2. Sir Thomas More conceived Utopia as a place where there specifically were no lawyers.
3. "God works wonders now and then; Behold! a lawyer, an honest man!" (Benjamin Franklin)
4. "Here lies an honest lawyer, and that is strange." (Attorney Sir John Strange's epitaph)
5. "The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer." (Speaker unknown)
6. "The only thing lower than a car salesman is a lawyer. Lawyers always, always give people a hard time . . . they feel that everybody owes them. There's no reason they can't sit down and negotiate a deal which can be a fair deal so that everybody comes out winning." (Howard Manoff, Car Salesman)
7. "A lawyer is never entirely comfortable with a friendly divorce anymore than a mortician wants to finish his job and then hve the patient sit up on the table." (John Kerr)
8. "What's wrong with lawyers is that they have an economic interest in cultivating and prolonging conflict. This means they are fundamentally at odds with the purposes of the legal system." (Robert J. Samuelson)
"Lawyers around every bend in the road;
Lawyers in every tree;
Lawyers in restaurants, lawyers in clubs;
Lawyers behind every door;
Behind windows and potted plants, shade trees and shrubs;
Lawyers on pogo sticks, lawyers in politics." (Tom Paxton, "One Million Lawyers & Other Disasters")
10. "The lawyer that the public probably sees are the trial lawyers. They're the most visible lawyers -- and they are arrogant." (N.Y. State Supreme Court Justice, David B. Saxe)
11. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." (Dick, "the Butcher", Shakespeare's Henry IV)
12. "Although a majority of people, if asked, would probably say they don't particularly like lawyers as a group, as individuals, people find us interesting, intelligent, and think our careers are exciting. In other words, some of their best friends are probably lawyers." (Sandra K. Saville, Esq.)

Source: Lawrence Savell, "Why are they picking on us?, 78 A.B.A. J. 72 (Nov. 1992).

Which statement best resonates with you?

#2 Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: A Lawyer You Say?

Lawyers are like proctologists: They're a pain in the ass but every now and then we all need one!!

#3 Apr 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Calypso
Active

gripe wrote:

This post is inspired by Calypso's comment that "I DON'T LIKE LAWYERS!!The have clone personalities: manipulative, duplicitous and crookish  l They live the law, feel the law and drink the law." See her thread "Russians on Talkshop" found here: http://spiceislandertalkshop.com/oldtal … hp?id=1734

Calypso, without suggesting any connection to lawyers and the profession, permit me to offer the below thoughts and statements about lawyers:

A LAWYER YOU SAY?

1. "I do not care to speak ill of any man behing his back, but I believe the gentleman is an attorney." (Samuel Johnson)
2. Sir Thomas More conceived Utopia as a place where there specifically were no lawyers.
3. "God works wonders now and then; Behold! a lawyer, an honest man!" (Benjamin Franklin)
4. "Here lies an honest lawyer, and that is strange." (Attorney Sir John Strange's epitaph)
5. "The only good lawyer is a dead lawyer." (Speaker unknown)
6. "The only thing lower than a car salesman is a lawyer. Lawyers always, always give people a hard time . . . they feel that everybody owes them. There's no reason they can't sit down and negotiate a deal which can be a fair deal so that everybody comes out winning." (Howard Manoff, Car Salesman)
7. "A lawyer is never entirely comfortable with a friendly divorce anymore than a mortician wants to finish his job and then hve the patient sit up on the table." (John Kerr)
8. "What's wrong with lawyers is that they have an economic interest in cultivating and prolonging conflict. This means they are fundamentally at odds with the purposes of the legal system." (Robert J. Samuelson)
"Lawyers around every bend in the road;
Lawyers in every tree;
Lawyers in restaurants, lawyers in clubs;
Lawyers behind every door;
Behind windows and potted plants, shade trees and shrubs;
Lawyers on pogo sticks, lawyers in politics." (Tom Paxton, "One Million Lawyers & Other Disasters")
10. "The lawyer that the public probably sees are the trial lawyers. They're the most visible lawyers -- and they are arrogant." (N.Y. State Supreme Court Justice, David B. Saxe)
11. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." (Dick, "the Butcher", Shakespeare's Henry IV)
12. "Although a majority of people, if asked, would probably say they don't particularly like lawyers as a group, as individuals, people find us interesting, intelligent, and think our careers are exciting. In other words, some of their best friends are probably lawyers." (Sandra K. Saville, Esq.)

Source: Lawrence Savell, "Why are they picking on us?, 78 A.B.A. J. 72 (Nov. 1992).

Which statement best resonates with you?

Number 8 describes them the best! They not diminish conflicts; they prolong them! Damned!!

#4 Apr 12, 2018 11:19 pm

gripe
Active

New Historian, I beg to differ on the limited need for lawyers that you inferred with your statement that:  "every now and then we all need one!!" The "need" is far more urgent and frequent than just "now and then". In fact, lawyers are needed EVERY day, for practically EVERY issue on earth than man -- in his own wisdom -- has created to regulate each other and also to deceive each other. That is why there are so many practice areas in which attorneys may chose to specialize. I dare say that reported court decisions and legal disputes that are settled without litigation touch on EVERY conceivable human activity!

No doubt, lawyers are only humans with a mix of honorable traits and frailties.

Having made the above statements, I tend to like #12 among the comments in the original post. But, really, they are all very telling descriptions of the NOBLE PROFESSION!   

(Don't ask me why I am so passionate about the topic.)

#5 Apr 13, 2018 10:36 am

New Historian
Active

gripe wrote:

New Historian, I beg to differ on the limited need for lawyers that you inferred with your statement that:  "every now and then we all need one!!" The "need" is far more urgent and frequent than just "now and then". In fact, lawyers are needed EVERY day, for practically EVERY issue on earth than man -- in his own wisdom -- has created to regulate each other and also to deceive each other. That is why there are so many practice areas in which attorneys may chose to specialize. I dare say that reported court decisions and legal disputes that are settled without litigation touch on EVERY conceivable human activity!

No doubt, lawyers are only humans with a mix of honorable traits and frailties.

Having made the above statements, I tend to like #12 among the comments in the original post. But, really, they are all very telling descriptions of the NOBLE PROFESSION!   

(Don't ask me why I am so passionate about the topic.)

Okay, lawyer lol!!!

#6 Apr 13, 2018 2:32 pm

gripe
Active

New Historian, that was a good attempt at trying to gently squeeze an admission from me. With hard, solid proof, an admission is not really necessary. But, you provided no proof, no evidence. You made me laugh, though.

#7 Apr 13, 2018 8:53 pm

New Historian
Active

gripe wrote:

New Historian, that was a good attempt at trying to gently squeeze an admission from me. With hard, solid proof, an admission is not really necessary. But, you provided no proof, no evidence. You made me laugh, though.

NOW you provided proof lol! Who else but a "liar" as they call lawyers would speak of the burden of proof? Is alright, we don't really hate lawyers. Not really.

"Let's kill all the lawyers":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_k … he_lawyers

Board footer