You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#31 Apr 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Cracking down on knives in the UK

'Not pounding my head against the wall' is exactly what I am doing.  I can't change the world and I don't want to try.  When I was young and dumb, I thought I could.  Now that I am older and wiser, I choose not to chase after the wind.

#32 Apr 18, 2018 3:57 pm

New Historian
Active

Accepting that thousands of innocent victims must die, just to satisfy your personal gun lust, is not wisdom.

#33 Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Lust?  LOL!  Hardly.  If you are going to chalk it up to one of the Seven Deadly Sins, blame it on sloth.

#34 Apr 19, 2018 12:00 am

New Historian
Active

How many guns do you have again? I think it's above ten, no? That sounds like a collection to me, aka: a lust. So, how many?

#35 Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I have all manner of guns.  Several are more than 50 years old.  About half were inherited.  All but one are more than 20 years old.  Other than a Glock which I bought in 2005, I have aquired none since the early 1990s.  As lust goes, that's pretty tame don't you think?

#36 Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

New Historian
Active

Actually no, that sounds like.... gun lust! You're a collector of guns, ergo you love guns. It's okay, the first step to a cure is acceptance! Repeat after me: "My name is RD, and I'm addicted to guns" smile

#37 Apr 19, 2018 11:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am no more addicted to guns than I am to music, tools, furniture or clothing.  It is just something I own.

#38 Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am

New Historian
Active

Yeah right. If someone stole your nickel-plated, hand carved Smith & Whatever .45 calibre special, I dare say you'd be a darned sight more pissed off than if they stole your pants from the line! My simple point is that your gun rights are very important to you, one could say sacred. The fact that these salf-same guns kill thousands of innocent victims is of no concern to you.

#39 Apr 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Such overblown rhetoric!  My guns have killed no one.  They have injured no one.

I can tell you for certain that I would be far more depressed if someone stole my tools than if they stole my guns.  I use my tools about 1,000 times more than my guns.

#40 Apr 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Yeah right. If someone stole your nickel-plated, hand carved Smith & Whatever .45 calibre special, I dare say you'd be a darned sight more pissed off than if they stole your pants from the line! My simple point is that your gun rights are very important to you, one could say sacred. The fact that these salf-same guns kill thousands of innocent victims is of no concern to you.

Oh for goodness sake. If you paid attention to most of what RD writes, it falls into 2 categories. An explanation of why the cat is out of the bag, and why it would actually take the kind of action that would embolden the anti State Control lobby and end up making things worse, and why he is part of that State limiting lobby.

If you were to do some lateral thinking, it is not so much that people have guns. Gun owners do not have to be mass killing psychopaths. However what we should be thinking about is why the VAST numbers of shootings and murders take place, and sort THAT out. And the main cause celebre for killings is........ DRUGS. As proven by the rise in shootings in England.... a very restricted gun ownership country.... Drugs and drug wars are causing more and more CHILDREN to be involved and be killed.

Get the brakes on the drugs, and gun crime will slip into insignificance. To add insult to injury, I think it is not totally beyond belief that most urban slums (hundreds of miles away from RD) are regrettably filled with young Black youth trying to find an easy way to make a quick buck off the back of their own brothers and sisters. Instead of trying to crush guns, try giving Black men in these areas starched underpants that keep them in instead of feeding the problem with yet more unparented children.

It is a lot more than one issue both for guns, and reducing poverty. Whether in Black or White communities.

Board footer