You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#31 Apr 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Expat
Active

Re: BLOOD PUDDING IN THE SPICE

houston wrote:

Europe is notorious for fancy, unhealthy food. Very pricey to get fat over there.
The junk they consume in Britain could make one drag around like a sloth all day.

Funny? for years I have been hearing the Mediterranean diet was one of the healthiest on the planet. Last I checked Mediterranean, or the part of it it intended to refer to is in Europe.

Countries from the North of Europe do have more unhealthy diets it is true, but much of that is because we don't live the way we did when they were developed. The high fat etc was to counteract the cold, and to help you store energy to live and work in a harsh environment. Civilisation has moved on but tastes have remained the same despite central heating, heated work places, and computer screens.

Bud, we have all kinds of crap food from all over the world in Britain, and mostly low income families will shovel it down, but there is a LOT of good food choices, and most product are labelled for good choices to be made, and they generally speaking are way way lower in salt, and much of the crap the FDA or what ever it is called allows in the States.

When I tried the Oscar Meyer sausages I think it was, when in Grenada it was like having fire in my mouth with the amount of salt present. Generally there is too much salt in most preserved foods that I have tried from America. It just indicates the pallet both of their food tasters, and the fact the general public is used to those levels. WAY too high.

Levels in the UK have been dropping over the years. 20 years ago I couldn't eat Heinz baked beans because they were too salty, I had to go over to own brand beans which were lower in sodium. I have recently eaten some Heinz beans, and they were OK, so manufacturers can drop levels and still stay on top of their field.

Last edited by Expat (Apr 27, 2018 8:06 pm)

#32 Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm

houston
Active

Salts, sugars and fats are killers. Way to much in junk fast food, but also in foods we consider to be healthy. Every society over does it with the taste buds.
Fast food joints can be convenient in a rush, but better to go hungry rather than eat that slop. Have done it a few times and always feel sick about an hour afterwards.

#33 Apr 28, 2018 5:59 pm

houston
Active

Subway is a last alternative to the deep fried American brand of unhealthy garbage. The deli meats in a sandwich are no more healthy than KFC (colonel guts, as I call it). Lunch meats are loaded with sodium and other preservatives. A well made slice of pizza can be much healthier to fill that hollow spot when needed. Basically anything other than American brand, franchised junk. I'd rather go hungry or nibble on some nuts and fruit over paying for that overpriced killer crap.
Preference is for healthy, tasty and we'll cooked food. Vietnamese Pho is fabulous, the broth can easily fix you up. Also love the spicey Mexican dishes and West Indian food. Nothing better than jerked chicken with rice, peas and the perfect home made coleslaw if you can find a good place.
Really enjoy middle eastern kabob food, or anything that is not drenched in oil.
Resized_20171228_112935.jpg

#34 Apr 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Slice do your heart a favour and stop eating that CRAP, it's killing you softly.

I hear you.  today I think I finally found ah Organic farmer, on a small level, but ah talking about eating Blood Pudding, but ah go still eat not so often.  Once ah month and ah go make me portion small.

Board footer