You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 18, 2018 12:21 pm

New Historian
Active

Some pertinent questions about Caribbean aviation

I have some beefs and questions about Caribbean aviation:

1.    Apart from brief periods of private ownership; all the major Caribbean airlines have been government owned – what are the prospects for attracting private airlines to acquire/merge with regional carriers, and what would be the likely benefits and costs?

2.    The region’s only experiment with low-cost carriers – why did RedJet die?

3.    The CAL/Air Jamaica merger - salvation or disaster? Jamaica wanted to “privatize” Air Jamaica, yet sold/merged it to CAL, another government-owned airline. What has been the record of achievement of the merged airline, and what are the lessons from this experience?

4.    Toxic taxation of aviation: With aviation taxes of up to 50% of the total ticket value, would tax relief and the resulting lower fares stimulate air travel, obviate the need for airline subsidies?

5.    Guarantee agreements and marketing – Most small islands are forced into these schemes in order to attract global carriers. It would be useful to evaluate the history of subsidies and to see how much was paid due to traffic falling below agreed load factors. In addition, an evaluation should be done as to whether or not the threshold level to trigger payments was too high and so resulted in the airlines making unwarranted profits above operating costs. Going forward, as it relates to flights to individual international airports, could these support agreements be negotiated from a regional perspective?

6.    Financial performance of the region’s airlines: How much does CAL and LIAT actually cost us, the long-suffering traveller and taxpayer?

7.    Airport developments – chicken or egg? Take for example the case of Saint Vincent; the new airport currently nearing completion on the mainland will be capable of handling long-haul wide bodied jets and the terminal can accommodate up to 1.2 million passengers per year; however the country now receives only about 75,000 visitors per year, many of whom are to the Grenadines, not the mainland. Is St Vincent’s gamble on Argyle International Airport a white elephant in the making, or a game-changer?

#2 May 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Some pertinent questions about Caribbean aviation

My own observation.... no fact involved...

Airlines are taking the pee withj subsidies.... especially now, as those from the UK at least have the most cost effective plains already in use, and because they are smaller than the 747's they rujn nearly full all the time.... or at least that is what I have observed when I travel.

The shortage of seats making it very hard to make emergency bookings for illness or death.... but he Virgins OK. if you see what I mean.

Grenada can't get a real taste of international flights, what chance does a new boy on the block stand?

Inter Caribbean flights are extortionate. Much of which is taxes and levies. It is typical short shortsightedness. Money in my hand now....albeit a very small amount of money.... against exponential increases in revenue if air fares were cheaper. Plus inter island tourism, and better relations between Islands due to communication.

#3 May 18, 2018 3:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Costs US$400-500 to fly Bim-Greenz return, and sometimes less than that to fly to Miami, really pisses me off.

#4 May 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Slice
Active

That LIAT, ole, ole things they call Air plain, when ah have to board one me heart does skip ah bit, ah mean every time ah have fly me heart  does skip ah beat, but when ah have to fly that thing they call LIAT, me heart does skip about ah million beats. Why can't the Caribbean government come up with ah nice air plane?

Ah also think the cost are taxes paid to caribbbean goverments, that is why it is cheaper to fly to Miami

#5 May 18, 2018 5:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

That LIAT, ole, ole things they call Air plain, when ah have to board one me heart does skip ah bit, ah mean every time ah have fly me heart  does skip ah beat, but when ah have to fly that thing they call LIAT, me heart does skip about ah million beats. Why can't the Caribbean government come up with ah nice air plane?

Ah also think the cost are taxes paid to caribbbean goverments, that is why it is cheaper to fly to Miami

Point of order: LIAT actually replaced all its old Dash-8 airplanes with brand-new ATRs from France, back in 2013-4. Not that the service has improved much though lol!!!

http://www.caribbean360.com/news/guyana … eting-loan

#6 May 20, 2018 11:04 am

Dancer
Active

Can we have a good working Ferry service please.
Should be a Caricom goal.
Get New Historian , Expat, Slice? ,  to invest and put money where their  mouth is . The JA could be asked to put up a million or so to get things in the water . What's the use having millions  in a box under the bed.

#7 May 20, 2018 12:14 pm

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:

Get New Historian , Expat, Slice? ,  to invest and put money where their  mouth is . The JA could be asked to put up a million or so to get things in the water . What's the use having millions  in a box under the bed.

They been talking about an eastern Caribbean ferry for ages - and ages. It's not feasible to include Jamaica, as it's too far away, two or three days hard sailing to the nearest Eastern Caribbean island, St Kitts.

#8 May 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

Leave me alone, I am already supporting half of Grenada single handed.

Board footer