You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Slice
Active

ME DRIVING IN THE SPICE ARE IMPROVING, and roti.

That is what I was thinking, then  today ah had an mirror accident.  the other driver did not even come outa he car, but said sir you know you have about two fet on your side.  How the hell he knew that ah doh know, but he was right.  He chuckled and said see you later.

I understand that this little joint, they call ah restaurant on the docks, have the best roti in Grenada.  They say boy folks from all over Grenada, does buy from her.  They also say to get her roti, you must be there from 10am.  I waited and finally ah decide to make the journey.  I was very disappointed with that roti.  The doh is like bake and the curry was white as milk.  I know to each his own, and we all have different taste, but gee me the Country Kitchen Roti.  Never me again.  Sandra's cost $14.00 and CC $9.00.  Ah kinda wasted $56.00.

The Caps are playing for the Stanly Cup and ah was able to watch cricket on ESPN, at 6am this morning.  This was ah great day for Slice.  Later ah meeting ah 24 year ole sexy person on the beach.  The Spice is real nice.

Last edited by Slice (May 24, 2018 3:36 pm)

#2 May 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Expat
Active

Re: ME DRIVING IN THE SPICE ARE IMPROVING, and roti.

Well Slicy boy, he a) probably knows his car and the road like the back of his hand, and b) was watching you aproach, and expected you to drift sideways a foot or two, but you didn't so he knew you had road left.

Then you are used to driving on the WRONG side of the road, so you haven't adjusted your computer to take in the different positions. It's not just driving positions that can throw you. I spen about 14 years driving a Lexus Limo of various sizes, ie 400, and 430, both the same body shape. I could squeeze that through a gap with a cigarette paper either side. It has taken me long long time to adjust to my Rav4, due the the height of the Rav offsetting the width of the LS Lexus's. Plus I'm older and the brain is less flexible. When I was a kid I leapt from mini's, Jags, Daimler Limo's, through to a Ford Rambler.... so big I had to climb out the window on the ramp as you couldn't open the doors. No problem. But now..... sad

Fo God sake leave that young stuff alone. You are on a little Island, and you doh want your arse cut do you?

#3 May 24, 2018 7:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Driving in Greenz takes nerves of steel, and lots of experience; I once saw a rental driver stopped dead on Cemetery Hill, frozen in fear! It doesn't help that there's usually a deep open ditch on your blind side, which virgin drivers tend to give a wiiide berth to. I used to drive a big old Pajero, which I needed for my work but sometimes I could have done with something smaller.

#4 May 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

My first trip down there as a tourist I rented a jeep.  It was dark, it was raining, the steering wheel was on the WRONG side, it was a manual transmission so I had to shift with the WRONG hand.  My wife was really white knuckling it as I drove from the airport to the Calabash.

You know, when you are used to driving on the opposite side of the road, a roundabout takes some thought. :-)

#5 May 24, 2018 11:14 pm

New Historian
Active

It could be worse:

#6 May 24, 2018 11:19 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yeah, that's pretty intense.  Last summer I drove across Paris midday.  I told my buddy who was navigating not to route us through the circle around the Arc de Triumph.  Well, he did.  That, my good man, was an experience.  I reminded me of a rodeo.

#7 May 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Driving in Greenz takes nerves of steel, and lots of experience; I once saw a rental driver stopped dead on Cemetery Hill, frozen in fear! It doesn't help that there's usually a deep open ditch on your blind side, which virgin drivers tend to give a wiiide berth to. I used to drive a big old Pajero, which I needed for my work but sometimes I could have done with something smaller.

Well I have had LOTS of the second item, and maybe some of the first, although to be honest apart from driving aware.... of total bloody morons I don't have an issue.  It would be nice if there were a LOT more road markings, as with very few places with pavements one is always in fear of a pedestrian not paying attention. Maybe where there is no sense there is no feeling? ( I refer to myself not the pedestrians) Or maybe I have had to slice my way through heavy traffic on a deadline so often poodling around country lanes is a doddle. I would have been the evil bastard forcing my way through and across traffic making you jab the brakes to avoid contact. Yep that was me... Sorry.

I suspect the driver training has to be real sheite, as with most things here those doing it either follow what every one else has done, simply to please the testers, or they themselves have no idea about real traffic in the outside World. There does not seem to be any ability for forward planning, or accident avoidance. Which is really dumb when fixing a car could wipe out your life savings if you are on third party.

And what is this nonsense where people indicate to turn right, and then pull over to the left and wait until they can make the turn... For Gods sake indicate right, pull to the center, and maybe a vehicle can pass on your nearside while you wait to turn.

Maybe I just don't appreciate the experience 50 years of driving has given me, but even when I was 17 if a car was coming towards me I would have turned the wheel and or touched the brakes to avoid the accident. Either the lights are on but nobody's home, or drink or drugs may be responsible for some of the slow reactions I see.

Then again as was pointed out to me the other day. Those planning roads and their markings have their head in a bag with little oxygen getting in.

Example :-  In St Georges you have the principle road going up to the Cathedral, which should have priority as it is harder to hold a vehicle on a steep slope. So what do they do... give the road which comes from the top of Market square which is a much less steep road the priority. Dumb or what.

Then for a reason that evades me we seem to have adopted the untidy and confusing no parking signage similar to America where you have to be able to read no parking written on the road which had been worn away by traffic Or clumsy big signs by the side of the road. A MUCH simpler method is the European approach with yellow lines along the kerbline which is easy to paint, easy to repaint, and is obvious that where the line is you don't park there between what ever hours are decided.The word shambolic come to mind.

Last edited by Expat (May 25, 2018 11:56 pm)

#8 May 26, 2018 11:39 am

New Historian
Active

Yo Slice man, I deh in de Spice land, what;s your digits again?

#9 May 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Slice
Active

4564951 or 533 0043. I had ah really bad memory when  ah resided in Grenada earlier.  Going up ah not so big hil with drinks for ah dance the damn car stalled.  We ended up almost dead that day; so, when ah encounter ah hill, ah tend to speed up.  Going up Cemetry hill. ah does speed up.  One day ah encounter ah car stopped  half way up the hill,  in the middle of the street.  Ah din panick, ah did very well.

Grenada have some great drivers, but also some real ASSHOLES.  Number one Bad drivers are the bus drivers.  As somone told me if you take God and make him ah bus driver, by the time he done, he will be Satan himself.  Boy RD you have raw nerve driving ah rental in Grenada.  Then one day ah see ah family of four on the beach in Lasagasse,  from England and we started talking and he said he came in yesterday and today he driving ah just shake me head.

NH the number at the top, is for you.

Last edited by Slice (May 26, 2018 1:30 pm)

#10 May 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have driven rentals to every corner of Grenada.  Pretty much every village.  Hell, I have driven some dirt paths.

Board footer