You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 May 29, 2018 10:23 am

Expat
Active

It's true, we have to take all the guns away

From the Police.

In Belgium today 2 cops were stabbed and then the individual took their guns and shot them and a passing car passenger dead.

Had they not had guns they might have survived.

Take those guns away.

Last edited by Expat (May 29, 2018 10:24 am)

#2 May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: It's true, we have to take all the guns away

When someone is willing, even eager to die, there's very little you can do to stop them killing, because virtually anything can be turned into a weapon. Facetious comments don't help.

#3 May 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Expat
Active

I think they were willing to kill, having run away and taken a hostage I don't think they were willing to die.... but they did, after wounding 2 more cops. One day after getting out of jail

Facetious and smart arse comments fly around like the clouds in the sky on here. Just because you take a juxtapose position to mine does not preclude me from making them. Or are clever self serving remarks restricted to those that want to ban all guns?  I wonder.

#4 May 29, 2018 4:21 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

I think they were willing to kill, having run away and taken a hostage I don't think they were willing to die.... but they did, after wounding 2 more cops. One day after getting out of jail

Facetious and smart arse comments fly around like the clouds in the sky on here. Just because you take a juxtapose position to mine does not preclude me from making them. Or are clever self serving remarks restricted to those that want to ban all guns?  I wonder.

Well I wonder who those people would be, who want to ban all guns? I don't think I've ever advocated that, but surely in any rational country there must be some middle ground, between a total ban and a free-for-all gun mania? Silly me, thinking "some" countries could be rational!!

Of course this guy was willing to die, you don't take on two armed police with a knife if you value your own life above all else. He ran away and took a hostage to keep on killing.

#5 May 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Expat
Active

Am I superimposing another posters intent on you... maybe. Once the adrenaline is pumping I use a scatter gun... LoL

Guns in moderation to sensible, checked and regulated people is my approach. I am not going to defend the 2nd amendment because I think it has been hijacked, and is total BS in today's world. I would however support in a limited way RD's point of view that Pandora's box is already open in the States, and it is going to be VERY difficult to put jack back in the box.

That being said despite the howls of protest I do believe there should be a register, and greater controls on issue. Those NOT registered when found get confiscated, and penalties applied.

Shooting is a great sport, when the shooting is at paper or clays or similar targets. It is a skill thing, and despite the movies showing double taps in the same hole, in real life a very hard skill to master.

Hunting has genuine purpose stopping certain creatures from over populating, and causing the collapse of the animals herd what ever due to over grazing. However I loath the idea that gung ho hunters go out without adequate range time and maim and injure creatures just for the fun of it. No real life shot is 100 percent guaranteed, but you should be able to be about 95% certain it will be a one shot kill. And be ready for a rapid coupe de grass.

Just because Cougars, Wolves, Eagles etc grab prey and rip it to pieces does not mean we should be so uncaring.

#6 May 29, 2018 6:41 pm

New Historian
Active

Is it so inconceivable to have the same controls on guns as you do on cars, boats and bikes? I can hear RD chime in: Heaven forbid, put that genie back in that bottle! Which is a convenient excuse for his 100% opposition to ANY controls, however mild, on HIS guns. Screw the other thousands who get killed every year (by others as well as themselves), "take your cotton-pickin' hands off MY guns!!"

#7 May 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Expat
Active

IN England the controls on Guns is far more stringent that on bikes cars etc.

We really are only really talking about America right?

Grenada is on hop skip and a jump away from banning all guns. Leaving the wealthy (the most likely target) open to violent home attacks.... Which to my certain knowledge have already happened even with gun access.

Frankly I simply cannot understand the take away all the guns and then the victims will be defenseless mindset.

Violent attack probably happens more often between regular folks and is nothing to do with the wealthy or for the most part guns, but home invasions are more likely to be violent, and with greater possible winnings so it is more likely the thief will come prepared.

I have been robbed a couple of times in the UK, and because it was an insider event twice in Grenada, but I have to say I am more concerned about perpetrators carry some form of weapon in Grenada than the UK, although with the increase in knife crime in the UK probably burglaries may have more tragic consequences there soon.

Owning a firearm in Grenada is not cheap. Using it is expensive. It is not a device that would easily legally get into the hands of Tom Dick or Darren. Funnily enough illegal weapons, especially ammunition is very expensive, but if you plan a heist I guess you think the expense will be worth 3 months salary?

#8 May 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Honestly now.  Why do you think the burglary rate in the US is so low when we all know that the US is a distopian crime ridden nightmare?

https://knoema.com/atlas/ranks/Burglary-rate

Untitled-2.jpg

#9 May 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Expat
Active

I would have been more impressed if you had the UK above the USA on that list. Considering it is a firearms restrictive place.

Interesting that MOST of those countries have falling burglary rates.

Also as we know statistics can be very misleading.

The Netherlands has one of the highest population densities in the World, so I guess as a small country it has a lot of suburban areas compared to countryside. Whereas America has Urban pockets and vast swathes of countryside, which you tell us never sees a buttercup out of place. maybe the stats don't give the whole picture?

Also interesting is that while Grenada's burglary rates went up during the hardest economic period post the crash - Remember Grenada didn't actually really feel the crash until a year or two after it hit the rest of the civilised world as the holiday bookings were still in place until the pinch was really felt by the other countries.  Regardless the rate has gone down to below pre-crash levels. And as the vast number of those burglaries will be small scale from one poor family being robbed locally by another poor individual. Just like the poor tend to rob their neighbours in bigger societies. They just aren't clever enough to rob the wealthy people down the road. Being dumb is one reason why they were poor in the first place.

Last edited by Expat (May 29, 2018 11:16 pm)

#10 May 30, 2018 6:10 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I didn't find the UK on the list.  I don't think it is there unless I am just not seeing it.  I am pretty sure the burglary rate is higher in the UK than in the US.

I don't know how anyone could discount the fact that, in the US, a burglar can be shot and killed legally leads to a lower burglary rate.  Seriously.  Burglars know that there is a threat of instant death.  Of course that reduces the rate.

Board footer