You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Slice
Active

TO BURN OR NOT TO BURN

Almost daily I have to close my windows from folks burning bushes. There is one topic that I understand both sides.  Burn and keep the fertilizer in you garden.  I get that.  Then there are those that argues it is dangerous, I also get that.  I also understand it is against the laws in Grenada, but still everyone burns.  I also understand it is against the law to have High beams at night while driving, but most folks do.  Ah really doh know what gives here.

#2 Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: TO BURN OR NOT TO BURN

Laws???? You see there you go again, coming with these foreign concepts lol!!

#3 Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Laws???? You see there you go again, coming with these foreign concepts lol!!

He just cant help it, poor slicey.

You do what you have to do. The Laws against burning are more to prevent stupidity mainly in the more foresty areas, but everyone is supposed to get a license to burn. It is not that you can't burn, but a) you have to give the money for the privilege, and b) the fire brigade has to stick it's nose in first. Not always giving sensible advice. A different neighbour from the one below was clearing land.... since regrown. The Fire Brigade told him to build small fires and burn for several days..... We would have gone nuts with the house drenched in smoke, and all the curtains blackened, and almost unable to breath. Luckily he ignored them, had about 4 large fires all at the same time, and our pain was over soon.

I have a neighbour who stacks up branches and stuff, and doesn't burn .... thankfully, as we would be suffocated as the wind always comes from his side. I am pretty certain this makes a wonderful breeding ground for rats.

Me, I burn maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but a regular fire from dried material that I may well feed all day, so as not to make a great billowing bonfire. i did try a chipper, but it was not up to the job, and the place would be an even bigger mess than it is if I tried the composting route.

Headlights... yeah, they are a pain in the ass. But unless the police get off their asses and go out on patrol why should anybody change what they are doing.

#4 Jun 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Slice
Active

But Expat you are saying, ignore the laws.  You trying to have me arrested.  Now ah know they call Grenada paradise, there ent no law. Ah go pay someone to burn for me.

#5 Jun 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

But Expat you are saying, ignore the laws.  You trying to have me arrested.  Now ah know they call Grenada paradise, there ent no law. Ah go pay someone to burn for me.

Me I ent say nutn.

Regrettably if people did actually obey most of the laws .... there are always some dumb ones around..... Then the quality of life would be better for everyone.

Board footer