You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 08, 2018 11:20 am

Expat
Active

RD, have you checked

The CO, CO2 and SO2 displacements on that World Map?

Apart from hotspots in the North it is interesting how much CO2 is focused in the Southern Hemisphere.

SO2 of course is focused mostly in the USA China and India.

CO being mostly Amerikee and China and spookily West Africa?

#2 Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: RD, have you checked

I wonder if it has something to do with it being winter in the southern hemisphere.  Plant life consumes CO2 during growth and releases it as plants rot in fall and winter.

#3 Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

You can see the SO2 pouring off the volcano in Hawaii.

#4 Jun 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I think we both interpreted the CO2 wrong.  The lighter the color, the more CO2.  The darker color means less.  You can verify this with the location too.

#5 Jun 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Expat
Active

yeah, that certainly makes more sense.

New York pumping it out, the fly over states warmly brown.

Plus, it's where the winds circulates it, as the North Pole isn't pumping out yet it is one of the lightest areas.

#6 Jun 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Plus seawater and vegetation absorb CO2.  You can see the heavily rain-forested parts of South America, Africa and SE Asia have the lowest CO2 concentration.  The middle of North America too.  On the other hand, ice and cold allow CO2 to accumulate and stay put.   

CO2 decreases in summer as plants consume it.  It increases in summer when the plants die and the CO2 is released as they decompose.

#7 Jun 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The carbon monoxide CO is interesting.  That is just pollution.  Except I cannot figure out what's going in in the middle of Africa?  Fires?

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jun 08, 2018 10:01 pm)

#8 Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am

Expat
Active

The CAPE readings in the Caribbean Sea are pretty high, watch out Gulf of Mexico, there could be a HCane some where near you soon.

#9 Jun 09, 2018 9:12 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The carbon monoxide CO is interesting.  That is just pollution.  Except I cannot figure out what's going in in the middle of Africa?  Fires?

Thats Gabon and the Congos which looks to be very heavily forested?

Also the same areas are BOTH high in CO2 and CO.....and SO2

#10 Jun 09, 2018 9:18 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Plus seawater and vegetation absorb CO2.  You can see the heavily rain-forested parts of South America, Africa and SE Asia have the lowest CO2 concentration.  The middle of North America too.  On the other hand, ice and cold allow CO2 to accumulate and stay put.   

CO2 decreases in summer as plants consume it.  It increases in summer when the plants die and the CO2 is released as they decompose.

>>CO2 decreases in summer as plants consume it.  It increases in summer when the plants die and the CO2 is released as they decompose.<<

Trying have it both ways at once eh.... wink

How about decreases in Spring, and increases in Autumn?

Also I think there is a misconception with respect to the Amazon. JMO.   Young trees soak up CO2, and emit O2 , Mature trees are in stasis, and make little difference, dead trees give off CO2, so while not a net polluter like areas which have little flora, they just keep the balance.

Board footer