You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 09, 2018 11:34 am

New Historian
Active

Bumping into Bill

On 19 September 1994, the US Marines “invaded” Haiti (live on CNN) and ousted the military junta that had overthrown the democratically elected President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Not long afterwards, I started going down to Haiti a lot, along with all the other bureaucrats, NGOs, fake businessmen and other carpetbaggers. Haiti was one of those rare events: a successful US military invasion, and Aristide was the darling of the Clinton White House, and was being showered with praise, support - and money.

One evening I went to a fundraiser at the State Department, where President Aristide was scheduled to say a few words and press the flesh. Also in attendance would be Aristide's fan and patron Julia Roberts. The Pretty Woman had taken the plight of the Haitian children to her perky breast, and Aristide along with them. For this occasion she had flown in a group of Haitian “street children”, to act as human props in her roving photo shoot.

At this point, Julia’s PR people were faced with a dilemma: having gone through all the hassle and expense of getting the kids their passports and flying them up to Washington DC, they couldn’t leave them in their Haitian street rags; they had to scrub up. But although they were all clad in brand-new Nikes, they were obviously encouraged to try and appear a bit more “street”. Shirt untucked, shoe unlaced. Julia was posing for a photo-shoot, flashing that famous smile and hugging “her” children, while a dozen cameramen clicked away in a frenzy. Poor kids were totally bewildered, not speaking any English.

As I watched this scrum unfold, I noticed I was standing next to Danny Glover, who also was watching the scene, with a rueful smile on his face. We exchanged rueful smiles, and then started a conversation. About Haiti, not Pretty Woman. We talked about America’s long history of supporting corrupt Haitian dictators, and I was impressed with his depth of knowledge. Unlike Julia, who just smiled.
Sudden there was a kerfuffle, at the other end of the ballroom, and who strolled in but … Bill Clinton! Woosh! Like a flock of frightened birds the paparazzi rushed over to Bill, leaving Pretty Woman frozen in mid-smile. Oh she was not happy!

Bill Clinton was a real pro, strolling through the crowd, knowing everyone by name, smiling with this one, cracking a joke with that one, everybody’s buddy. He walked right by me, I even got a smile, I felt my heart melt. Just a little.

Pretty_Woman.jpg

#2 Jun 09, 2018 11:50 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Bumping into Bill

But it was Bill's foreign policy that sent the Marines and propped up Aristide.  Why do you give him a pass?

#3 Jun 09, 2018 11:56 am

New Historian
Active

You see me give anyone a pass? I talking people, not politics.

#4 Jun 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Dancer
Active

" Well , I don't know what to say " !

Coupled with the LBJ  'Golden Hand ' story  and now  "Bumping Into Bill "
' I am disoriented .
I wonder  ? No Know !
He will be demanding TS posters  call him  Sir NH ,  tomorrow ?
OK, OK  , I could go down that road a little .
" But I will not be a Groupie."
LOLOL.

#5 Jun 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Dancer
Active

Pretty  woman , Julia Roberts and  her  perky breast . hehehe 
You like them more substantial    eh  ? New Historian ?
I could dig that .
lol.

#6 Jun 09, 2018 3:28 pm

houston
Active

Hey Slice and Expat...at your meeting the other night, did NH order a Dos Equis?
Was he able to speak French in Russian?
Could he be the new....Most Interesting Man in the World?

#7 Jun 09, 2018 7:48 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

Hey Slice and Expat...at your meeting the other night, did NH order a Dos Equis?

Lord a massy, you really got me LOLling today! I don't often ...

#8 Jun 09, 2018 8:07 pm

houston
Active

That's great Historian. Had a good chuckle myself.

#9 Jun 10, 2018 5:15 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

On 19 September 1994, the US Marines “invaded” Haiti (live on CNN) and ousted the military junta that had overthrown the democratically elected President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Not long afterwards, I started going down to Haiti a lot, along with all the other bureaucrats, NGOs, fake businessmen and other carpetbaggers. Haiti was one of those rare events: a successful US military invasion, and Aristide was the darling of the Clinton White House, and was being showered with praise, support - and money.

One evening I went to a fundraiser at the State Department, where President Aristide was scheduled to say a few words and press the flesh. Also in attendance would be Aristide's fan and patron Julia Roberts. The Pretty Woman had taken the plight of the Haitian children to her perky breast, and Aristide along with them. For this occasion she had flown in a group of Haitian “street children”, to act as human props in her roving photo shoot.

At this point, Julia’s PR people were faced with a dilemma: having gone through all the hassle and expense of getting the kids their passports and flying them up to Washington DC, they couldn’t leave them in their Haitian street rags; they had to scrub up. But although they were all clad in brand-new Nikes, they were obviously encouraged to try and appear a bit more “street”. Shirt untucked, shoe unlaced. Julia was posing for a photo-shoot, flashing that famous smile and hugging “her” children, while a dozen cameramen clicked away in a frenzy. Poor kids were totally bewildered, not speaking any English.

As I watched this scrum unfold, I noticed I was standing next to Danny Glover, who also was watching the scene, with a rueful smile on his face. We exchanged rueful smiles, and then started a conversation. About Haiti, not Pretty Woman. We talked about America’s long history of supporting corrupt Haitian dictators, and I was impressed with his depth of knowledge. Unlike Julia, who just smiled.
Sudden there was a kerfuffle, at the other end of the ballroom, and who strolled in but … Bill Clinton! Woosh! Like a flock of frightened birds the paparazzi rushed over to Bill, leaving Pretty Woman frozen in mid-smile. Oh she was not happy!

Bill Clinton was a real pro, strolling through the crowd, knowing everyone by name, smiling with this one, cracking a joke with that one, everybody’s buddy. He walked right by me, I even got a smile, I felt my heart melt. Just a little.

https://s33.postimg.cc/nsgn4yn4b/Pretty_Woman.jpg

Bill Clinton's interest in Haiti in the '90s was not to support democracy but to destabilize the already fragile Haitian economy. Did you know that Haiti imports at least 80% of American rice? Haitians can't even buy the rice they produce anymore for Clinton asked them to decrease the race tariff by 50%. This moved increase the poverty rate among Haitians who can hardly feed their families. America likes to meddle in other people's affairs to promote their own interest!!

#10 Jun 10, 2018 7:23 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

I think anyone who lives in 10 countries should be able to speak ah little bit of something rather than English. I would say NH is ah very interesting person.  Despite what you think about him, He is very down to earth.  Also from our meeting, what I also learn, and I think this could be ah lesson for all Talkshoppers, the personality on Talkshop is very different from the person in real life.

In real life NH is ah real KEWL guy.

Board footer