You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Expat
Active

Not speaking to Madiba

NH's encounters with American Presidents sparked a remembrance of S.A. President.

Most things I just shrug off, and wouldn't say I regret.

However, one Summers evening I was waiting for a client outside a Stately Hall when Nelson Mandela who had been guest of honour came out and sat for a few moments in his car before his driver arrived and being driven off.

Having been quite strongly connected to the Free Nelson campaign in the UK, fundraising, and demonstrating, standing vigil outside the S.A Embassy , Marching etc. I wanted to just move 3 feet closer and express my pleasure at his freedom etc.

English reserve, and respect for the mans privacy kept me that 3 feet further away.... and so ...  he was driven off.

#2 Jun 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Not speaking to Madiba

Expat wrote:

English reserve...

Something I admire about the English... reserve, understatement, dry humor, stiff upper lip... all of that.

#3 Jun 09, 2018 1:25 pm

New Historian
Active

I saw you - in Trafalgar Square lol!!

#4 Jun 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

I saw you - in Trafalgar Square lol!!

You must have had night vision goggles I was there through the night to support those that were camped out 24/7

#5 Jun 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

English reserve...

Something I admire about the English... reserve, understatement, dry humor, stiff upper lip... all of that.

Many of those qualities could better be attributed to both generations past, and the Old Etonian brigade. Being the child of an older parent, I probably absorbed many of those qualities where generation on a par with mine and certainly later probably would not be so "English".

The character of the people IS changing, partly due to lifestyle changes, the way News is disseminated, Programming on TV and films, plus the more recent immigrants have all changed the views, aspirations, and methodology of how we function.

What wasn't acceptable now is ... eg young women getting completely off their faces sleeping in gutters and throwing up all over the place after a night out.

We have had other issues which have pretty much faded away, like Football supporters going for the punch up rather than the match.... Millwall, Millwall...  But those were pockets of aberration. The inability to drink sensibly whether male or female has been around for a while, and doesn't seem to be going away.

There will still be little bastions of England out in the shires, but just as even drug abuse is getting to small villages, so all the other sins are following them.

I think your image of the "English" is more to do with rose coloured spectacles and Agatha Christie movies.

#6 Jun 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

I think your image of the "English" is more to do with rose coloured spectacles and Agatha Christie movies.

Quite.

I know I posted this before, but I love this old WWII American training film featuring Burgess Meredith and Bob Hope.  It attempts to tell Americans how to act in Britain.  I especially love the part about British pubs.  That part starts at about 3:45.

#7 Jun 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Expat
Active

Eh Eh, this thread has a doubleclick tracker on it.

Anyhews, yes I remember you posting it before, and I did dutifully watch it right through.

Just as I imagine bars in the States would have different characters depending on if it was a city block bar, or an out in the boonies bar. So it is with pubs. You could probably sit all night staring sorrowfully at your pint all alone in the City, and more likely be chatted to in the country.

#8 Jun 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I thought of you last weekend.  I went to my nephew's high school graduation party out on the farm.  This was in the middle of nowhere.   From where we were sitting under the shade trees on the lawn you could see to the horizon and maybe see one or two other farms in the distance.

I sat at a table with farmers.  Old guys mostly.

One had just returned from a visit to Ukraine where he has farming friends.  He spoke of his multiple trips to France with another farmer who also attends European farm shows every year.  On my left was Gordon.  He is an old boy who served in the Peace Corps in the 1960s and there met his Brazilian wife.  He farms in Iowa and has land in Brazil as well.  These people had all traveled the world and understand the farm market around the world.  They have friends and acquaintances around the world.

To look at them they look like stereotypical old men from Flyover Country and there we were out in the quintessential Flyover land.  Yet these men were as cosmopolitan as any.

Anyway, I literally thought, "I wish Expat could be here to dispel some of the myths about Middle Americans."

#9 Jun 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Expat
Active

One swallow doth not a Summer make.

4 geysers sitting round a table might not quite represent 80 per cent of the Continent.

Nice try though  smile

#10 Jun 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Slice
Active

It is me against almost  all Grenadian and Europeans trying me best to defend America.  My electrician says America package well, but their product ent worth sheet.  I am at ah disadvantage talking to Expat about America.  Expat thinks that all European products are superior to American products.  Then there was my neighbor who never left Morne Delice, but thinks he knows America.

Now I drive ah RAV4 in Grenada and so does Expat.  I know my RAV4 is far superior to Expat's RAV4.  Mine is longer, rides smoother and is just ah better vehicle.  Expat wants no part of my argument.  One day ah get someone to defend America right here in Grenada.

I bought down four transformers.  Everyone who saw them quickly say how neat and nice they are.  I do not think Grenadains have seen them in that shape, but they quickly say nice package, but they ent better than the European ones.  Ah mean what they sell here in Grenada is UGLY looking.  If you install one it needs to be hidden, not the American one, you can show them off.

Look all have to compare is American, so I will continue to defend what I know. Grenada is  ah single country, but lord America is hundreds.

Board footer