You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Not speaking to Madiba

Well that's it, the love fest is over. Gloves off, bare knuckle fighting from now on.

My Rav4 has lived and loved in Grenada, it has bumped and ground round all the irregular tracks we laughingly call roads. It is tired, and if I could find someone better than me to identify a couple of rattles it would be back to it's old grandeur. Yours is bigger, in body, not I don't think in wheel track, which is good, because the 5 door hasn't got the best steering lock, and with your difficulties driving on our roads you need all the help you can get..  smile  They are all Japanese crap whether made in Japan as mine was or Detroit under license. When yours has spent a year or two on our bumpy roads we'll see how wonderful a ride it is.

See how you trying to tittle tattle me into conflict. I will not deny I have faulted American products, which as I recall you were falling over yourself to agree with the items I mentioned, like fridges with naive interiors, I could even throw in the Harley Davidson, which really was as sophisticated as a tractor with chrome embellishments. but they were my experience.

Now you want to suck up to RD with Transformers that you brought here. Compared to the cheapest sheite the importers can import. I have one here recently bought from Hubbards. They are so proud of it, it doesn't even have the country of origin. Bet it's Chinese.

Just about any item you buy here is from the bottom end of the manufacturing pool. Even British products I see from time to time are the bargain basement version. My take is the general public can't afford the better quality, so they just bring in the same old same old crap whether British, Chinese, or American as they have done for the past 50 years.

Literally. Sinks you could have bought back in the 50's is what they are selling here today.

I bought a bathroom set back when I did an extension. It was the best looking I could see from regular retailers with "British" style soil pipe connections. On first inspection it kinda looked OK. When I went to install it, what an absolute nightmare. The pillar that supported the sink looked fine from the front, but they left no room for fittings. It took ages  a 1/4 of a twist at a time to hook things up. The taps, in a pretty box made to look like quality product are nasty sheite, the waste for the sink couldn't even stay closed until I modified it. The toilet seat was so flimsy I had to advise bigger people not to use that toilet. Undoubtedly this was ALL Chinese sheite.  Thats what we get here unless you go to designer outlets and pay crazy prices.

#12 Jun 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

4 geysers sitting round a table might not quite represent 80 per cent of the Continent.

That's why I wish you would come visit.  I would love to have the opportunity to help you wash away the scales from your eyes.  You think you know, but you don't. 

If you every come to this part of the world, you must stay with me for a few days so I could educate your prejudices away.

#13 Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Expat
Active

Thank you for the kind invitation, but I fear unless I have a sudden windfall from the Lottery it ain't going to happen.

Most observations and opinions are based upon generalisations. Without a doubt person to person contact is almost always going to bring about a change of opinion.

As I have said before, I worked for an American company for 14 years, and I found many of my very Senior American colleges a joy to work with. Much more personable than many of their English counterparts.

Likewise as Slice was alluding to vis a vis American Products. There are undoubtedly many very good ones. Fortunately the Boeings I have been traveling on for the past few years are pretty reliable. But having been exposed to the the American razamataz about made in America one tended to expect a degree of excellence which on quite a few items over the years I have found missing, and as I was saying to blurt amouth Slicy the design and finish on quite a few white goods etc from Europe seemed much more polished than their American counterparts. Certainly the Harley is definitely a candidate for criticism. Maybe they have changed since I bought mine back in 2006 but I doubt it. Utilitarian with a chrome cover is the best I can manage. A Frame you could stick a 5 litre hot rod engine in that wouldn't flex. Rear swing arms that weighed half as much as some bikes entire frames. Clumsy and clunky. A bike I had liked the image of, and when your in the showroom and smelling the smells you go along with the charisma, but almost as soon as I took possession the fog cleared from my eyes. A bike you had to do a stage 1 to 3 mod on just to get it to run the way it should straight out of the show room. An absolute need to be part of the Harley forum to get over the oil leaks and breathing issues. One solution presented was a pipe into a small jar to catch the oil before it dripped all over the bike.

I got it so that I could chug around 2 up and not be phased by steep hills, and I knew if I got a rice boiler I would lose my license or life very quickly, but damn that thing was crap.

#14 Jun 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am not a biker but, dude, everybody in the universe, in their heart-of-hearts, knows that Harleys are just sex appeal and little else.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  People like what they like and if you want to prioritize form over function, that's your business.  As you know, owners of those bikes have a cult-like devotion to them.  Whatever floats your boat.   (I confess, I do like the way a softtail fat boy looks.)

I have traveled extensively in Europe.  Some products there seem better than US products and some seem worse.  I, for one, can't say I am impressed with the quality of contemporary furniture in Europe.  It all seems to have a cheap IKEA quality to it.   Just my opinion.

#15 Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I am not a biker but, dude, everybody in the universe, in their heart-of-hearts, knows that Harleys are just sex appeal and little else.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  People like what they like and if you want to prioritize form over function, that's your business.  As you know, owners of those bikes have a cult-like devotion to them.  Whatever floats your boat.   (I confess, I do like the way a softtail fat boy looks.)

I have traveled extensively in Europe.  Some products there seem better than US products and some seem worse.  I, for one, can't say I am impressed with the quality of contemporary furniture in Europe.  It all seems to have a cheap IKEA quality to it.   Just my opinion.

Exactly the point I was making, I was sucked in by that mystique, Easy Rider and all that. Although mine was not one of the cruisers, I just KNEW that would be too much for little Grenada, and my compromise which was a 1200 Sporty failed to impress once I got used to heaving nearly 600lbs of steel around. Harleys managed to reinvent themselves as the old clunkers you really should have when they were about to fold, whereas the British Motorcycle industry generally speaking made the same old same old, which leaked and rusted etc, and the Japs blew them out of the water.

Maybe it WAS IKEA that you saw... smile  Fashion dictates what people see and buy.

There is no real better or worse, as you say some either way are good, some are worse, but from observation in the good old cinema, even simple things like Kitchen Taps. In a movie where the house is depicted as being up market the taps are naff as hell, whereas Italian and German tapperie is stylish, and has all kinds of electronic functions.

I may not have done it well, but what I was emanating was a kind of disappointment, that the reality on quit a few of the items I have experienced did not live up to the image the advertising or BS that had preceded them. I felt almost cheated, I WANTED the products to be good. I had accepted British products were crap, and American products were almost from another planet. But it just wasn't so.

#16 Jun 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Slice
Active

Ok you took the gloves off, but guess what? the first time anything happen to it, you is the first person ah calling.  You go ahead and punch you own  self. The America ride is smoother.

#17 Jun 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Slice
Active

I get to decide.  I now spend ah bunch ah time in Grenada and America, so I am going to make choices.  BTW the European LED lights are far, far superior to America, and also cheaper.  I was shocked the quality of light I got for EC.$8.00

#18 Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This may come as a shock to you all, but the United States is the largest economy in the world and the products that are sold here range in quality from excellent to poor.  Some things are the best in the world.  Some things are crap.   Most things fall somewhere in between.  It is impossible to say that all products, across the board, are better or worse than anywhere else.

#19 Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Ok you took the gloves off, but guess what? the first time anything happen to it, you is the first person ah calling.  You go ahead and punch you own  self. The America ride is smoother.

I have new bushes coming from Thailand, just now mine will be king of the road, and yours will be an old bone shaker. Plus if your tyres are still full of tread yours will ride softer, and make less noise. Mine are getting low, so they drum and the ride is harder. With new tyres the car almost feels like new. Get ready to pay 2500 dollars for tyres.

All will come to be revealed to you as you come to be a local again. You ain't even get your toes under the table and you want to arm wrestle. Calm down bro calm down.

Board footer